Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The FIFA World Cup Thread (Spoilers Welcome)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The FIFA World Cup Thread (Spoilers Welcome)

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    Necessity is the mother of invention?
    It really comes down to growing up in america playing other sports. We use our hands a lot more in Basketball/Football. Tony Meola always said that he was such a good goalie because he learned how to rebound in basketball and translated that into understanding angles and high pointing balls on the crosses, etc.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

CONMEBOL: 14-2-3 44/57 (.772) (2 CONMEBOL v CONMEBOL game)
      UEFA: 17-7-11 58/105 (.552) (5 UEFA v UEFA games)
      CONCACAF: 6-3-6 21/45 (.467)
      CAF: 3-3-11 12/51 (.235)
      AFC: 0-3-9 3/36 (.091)

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        This is nonsense. The intersection of the populations who have the potential (and body types) to play both NBA and MLS (or NFL and MLS) is vanishingly small. Our untapped soccer players aren't in the NBA or NFL - they're tending bar at your local watering hole, working at Home Depot, going to B-school, etc - and all talking about their youth days when they played on a couple of AYSO club teams but didn't bother to stick with it since it didn't seem like there was a realistic career path.
        Yeah, the mindset is already starting to change a bit with younger players who can now legitmately look at soccer as a career path. Yedlin's story is the leader at that, 4 years ago he was a teenager in the Sounders Academy program that got converted to right back because they had enough midfielders. Last season he got a contract and then got an opportunity to play and showed why he deserves it. Same thing in this World Cup.

A lot of it is opportunity that wasn't there before.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

This is some prime Wiki-vandalism:

If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Oh, and the next World Cup is in Europe, where we've never won a game.
            Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Too bad the furthest east according to the bid is Yekaterinburg (GMT +6:00)
            To be fair, that's still in Asia. More importantly, "we've never won a game in Europe" is basically meaningless going forward. It's the kind of fake statistic that's made to be broken. It's a small sample size of games played by players who will almost all be retired by the time 2018 rolls around.

My Predict the 2018 Roster:
            Brad Guzan
            Cody Cropper
            Tim Howard (if he's still playing, Sean Johnson if not)

DeAndre Yedlin
            Timmy Chandler
            Geoff Cameron
            John Brooks
            Matt Besler
            Tim Ream
            Fabian Johnson
            Tony Beltran

Michael Bradley
            Mix Diskerud
            Stuart Holden (hopefully)
            Danny Williams
            Luis Gil
            Brek Shea
            Gedion Zelalem (hopefully, for a different reason)
            Julian Green

Jozy Altidore
            Aron Johansson
            Terrence Boyd
            Jack McInerney

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            I liked Zusi on set pieces but otherwise agree that he just wasn't up to it, along with Bedoya. Maybe my untrained eye missed something, but Bedoya didn't do a whole lot for me.

I'll reiterate that I am still shocked not to see Diskerud or Johannsson more.
            I have to agree - none of those supporting guys (including Davis in limited opportunities) stepped up, which was really disappointing. I agree with your surprise not to have seen Diskerud. I might've tried him behind Aron with Dempsey on the left.

On another note, who are you guys rooting for in the WC, now that team USA is out?
            Costa Rica, certainly. Beyond that, Argentina because I love Messi; Colombia because they've been really good for a while now yet are somehow still under the radar. Belgium, because better them than the other European teams that are left.
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
              To be fair, that's still in Asia. More importantly, "we've never won a game in Europe" is basically meaningless going forward. It's the kind of fake statistic that's made to be broken. It's a small sample size of games played by players who will almost all be retired by the time 2018 rolls around.
              While this is true, there is a correlation between difference in timezones and success in world cups. Brazil is the only country to win a tournament not played in it's home hemisphere (1958 Sweden, 2002 Japan/S. Korea) and other than 2010 in South Africa, only CONMEBOL had ever won a tournament hosted outside its confederation (other than those previously mentioned it was all when in CONCACAF with Brazil and Argentina winning in Mexico and Brazil in USA). It's not surprising that UEFA does best in UEFA...which hurts USA, especially when they've always been drawn into a group with 2 or 3 European sides when playing in Europe. Not saying its impossible for USA to get out of the group or win a game on European soil, just that it does swing some of the intangible things towards other teams.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Everytime I see a replay of the set piece at the end, I'm left wondering how we don't score. That was a farking brilliant play, and we had two guys behind Dempsey that could've pounced on the rebound if it kicks out just inches more to the left or right.

Comment

While this is true, there is a correlation between difference in timezones and success in world cups. Brazil is the only country to win a tournament not played in it's home hemisphere (1958 Sweden, 2002 Japan/S. Korea) and other than 2010 in South Africa, only CONMEBOL had ever won a tournament hosted outside its confederation (other than those previously mentioned it was all when in CONCACAF with Brazil and Argentina winning in Mexico and Brazil in USA). It's not surprising that UEFA does best in UEFA...which hurts USA, especially when they've always been drawn into a group with 2 or 3 European sides when playing in Europe. Not saying its impossible for USA to get out of the group or win a game on European soil, just that it does swing some of the intangible things towards other teams.
                  Solution: Kick *** an take names for the next three years so we can build our FIFA ranking and get drawn with just one Euro team, and an Asian softball to go with [insert African nation here].

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Solution: Kick *** an take names for the next three years so we can build our FIFA ranking and get drawn with just one Euro team, and an Asian softball to go with [insert African nation here].
                    I'm sure if that happens, they'll change the rules to keep the USA out of being seeded...not a bad idea though...being a non-UEFA seeded team, we'd still be likely to get a 2nd UEFA team in our group...

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Everytime I see a replay of the set piece at the end, I'm left wondering how we don't score. That was a farking brilliant play, and we had two guys behind Dempsey that could've pounced on the rebound if it kicks out just inches more to the left or right.
                      I think it was just a heavy first touch from Deuce. Or a pass too far in front of him. In either case, Belgium closed in on him and he had no angle.

Crazy missed opportunity, though.

Comment

I'm sure if that happens, they'll change the rules to keep the USA out of being seeded...not a bad idea though...being a non-UEFA seeded team, we'd still be likely to get a 2nd UEFA team in our group...
                        What, like how England, Italy and Uruguay wound up in the same group?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Outside of FIFA seeding the field we will end up with two UEFA teams and an African or South American team every time.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            The problem has been the amount of money to be invested in programs. The biggest improvement that has been made is the amount of money invested in youth development, the Development Academy system is already doing wonders and will continue to get better with the new MLS TV contract.

Right now, a lot in the media are doing the usual "we need to change things!" speech (that's where my complaint about people coming out of the woodwork is directed at, not at anyone here). But, I think we just need to stay course right now. We've made changes and now we need to take the time to let them come to fruition.
                            From my limited vision, I think that's probably right. Keep doing smart things. Let the system re-invest in itself. Development is a slower process even when done right. You can infuse cash in places but you rarely improve things when you're interested in creating chaos vs opportunities.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              This is nonsense. The intersection of the populations who have the potential (and body types) to play both NBA and MLS (or NFL and MLS) is vanishingly small. Our untapped soccer players aren't in the NBA or NFL - they're tending bar at your local watering hole, working at Home Depot, going to B-school, etc - and all talking about their youth days when they played on a couple of AYSO club teams but didn't bother to stick with it since it didn't seem like there was a realistic career path.
                              Its often said by the weightlifting community that most of the best talent plays on Sundays... but that's not entirely true unless you're looking at the heavyweight classes. The lower weight classes there's room but nobody will ever know.

There are occasionally players that are so crossover they truly deserve the label "athlete"... but there are only so many.

ON THE OTHER HAND... whenever we look at our country's systems everything is geared at the top 20-30 athletes. Understandably in the case of national teams. In the end, people draw huge judgements on these low samples. What do we need to support top athletes? How do we identify?

I get a little annoyed that the smallest of mistakes (see Wondo) becomes an indication that we're doing something wholesale wrong. The only thing you can do with young talent is to bring them in, develop them, and pass them high enough to inspire improvement while making sure they turn out alright as stable people.

In the end, we may not be able to create a class of wunderkinds... that's a function of time and luck. However, if you can elevate the entire class of player then the rest has to come with. I think the goal of increasing depth of US soccer is working. I'm concerned about MLS over-expanding but even that won't affect the national team... it'll mean more in terms of bankrupt fools and former players (looking at you Mr. Beckham).

---

The other possibility... which Lynah may allude... is just the lost opportunities. It happens in a lot of sports because players burn out because of the politics or because of lack of support in the area. I've got a co-worker in suburban DC Maryland already deal w travel leagues for his 9 year old. Not always necessary but so it goes. A co-worker's brother was a USNDPT invite but didn't want to move away from home.

What may happen is not that our best athletes are in the NFL... which is true to a degree... but rather they played college level in a sport they loved but didn't match their talents. Some Div III tailback who never really cared to kick a ball around... but so it goes.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                What may happen is not that our best athletes are in the NFL... which is true to a degree... but rather they played college level in a sport they loved but didn't match their talents. Some Div III tailback who never really cared to kick a ball around... but so it goes.
                                This. I think about this looking back at my participation in high school athletics. American football was (and still is) my favorite sport and stuck with that in high school for that reason. I played in in-house summer soccer leagues, and when I think about it, I should have went that direction, because I was a much better soccer player. If I had grown up with the opportunity to watch soccer, not just football, perhaps that decision would be different. I'm not delusional enough to think I would've made the national team, but there are probably some kids out there that played football, or other sports, in high school, then gave up on athletics, but would've found their calling if they were exposed to soccer. We're a lot more likely to snag those kids these days.
                                SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                                UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                                Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                                Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                                UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                                UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X