Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 14-15

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
    Same with Trinity. My recollection...the power was Middlebury...followed by Bowdoin...although most recently NU faced tougher Polar Brae clubs. We never seem able to sweep Colby and Bowdoin on those Maine visits in the waning days of the Interlock. New power bases in the NESCAC.
    Trinity was pretty good for a while in the late 90s and early 00s. They played at Kingwood-Oxford arena, which was a total dump and was repurposed for Tennis as soon as the prep school hockey season ended. I seem to recall Trinity losing out on a chance to host a quarterfinal because they had no ice.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Ah that was your daddy's NESCAC. They've won exactly the same amount of NCAA semifinal games as Norwich since 2011.
      My comment had nothing to do with their skill, nor talent

Comment

PS: A question on one of the finer points of the game: Noted that PSU took ten penalties last night—for a total of 36 minutes. As I have said in earlier posts (usually about UMBoston) I keep thinking that discipline is such a big part of any game plan. At what point does a coach tell their team that the rough stuff isn't working. It just seems to me that 36 minutes of “standing in the corner” means is that for over half the game PSU was willing to play the #1 team in the US down a man. Someone tell me there some strategic logic to that.
        Well, 20 minutes of it was for the ejection, so they were down a man on the bench, but not on the ice. Of the remainder, two were coincidental minors, and two more cost them powerplay opportunities. Those were penalties committed when they needed the powerplay. (The remainder did cause them to be shorthanded).
        Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
          Well, 20 minutes of it was for the ejection, so they were down a man on the bench, but not on the ice. Of the remainder, two were coincidental minors, and two more cost them powerplay opportunities. Those were penalties committed when they needed the powerplay. (The remainder did cause them to be shorthanded).
          Thanks for the clarification. It will be interesting to see if Adrian tries to push the envelope with Oswego. Statically they are very evenly matched in almost ever department--with the exception of power play goals (Oswego) is #2 in the nation--with just over 9 minutes in the box versus about 17 minutes for Adrian "taking a timeout". In these close playoff games it just seems teams cannot be committing an abundance of penalties when as you say, "they needed a power play." to win.
          Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
          Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. It will be interesting to see if Adrian tries to push the envelope with Oswego. Statically they are very evenly matched in almost ever department--with the exception of power play goals (Oswego) is #2 in the nation--with just over 9 minutes in the box versus about 17 minutes for Adrian "taking a timeout". In these close playoff games it just seems teams cannot be committing an abundance of penalties when as you say, "they needed a power play." to win.
            special teams/discipline are very important in the post season,in the past 5 final four tourny's that Oswego has been in they have gotten beaten in the special teams battle and it has cost them dearly

Comment

Given how spotty the NSN broadcast was last week from Norwich--and what a savior WDEV radio was---does anyone know if George Como will be going to Amherst to broadcast by radio? Please advise.
              Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
              Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

What's the scouting report on the Lord Jeff's? Since the end of the interlock I've paid less attention to the NESCAC during the regular season. If their record is any indication they are a very strong team, but I did catch their division final against Williams and wasn't overly impressed with either team. I think NU will need to bring another level this weekend, and certainly if we progress beyond Saturday. It was good to see Pelletier get back on the score sheet and I think he can be a great boost and an emotional leader on the ice this weekend. As I've tried to remember to do all season, huge compliments to Ty Reichenbach's on stellar game play again this past weekend. I don't think I've been as confident in a tender since Klinger.

Comment

Given how spotty the NSN broadcast was last week from Norwich--and what a savior WDEV radio was---does anyone know if George Como will be going to Amherst to broadcast by radio? Please advise.
                  Amherst will have a NSN broadcast this weekend and George Commo will be there for WDEV with Cory Gustafson on Saturday for the men's quarterfinal. WDEV will also have coverage of the Norwich/Plattsburgh women's game on Friday afternoon at 3:30 p.m.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Tuuk145 View Post
                    What's the scouting report on the Lord Jeff's? Since the end of the interlock I've paid less attention to the NESCAC during the regular season. If their record is any indication they are a very strong team, but I did catch their division final against Williams and wasn't overly impressed with either team. I think NU will need to bring another level this weekend, and certainly if we progress beyond Saturday. It was good to see Pelletier get back on the score sheet and I think he can be a great boost and an emotional leader on the ice this weekend. As I've tried to remember to do all season, huge compliments to Ty Reichenbach's on stellar game play again this past weekend. I don't think I've been as confident in a tender since Klinger.
                    Amherst has a stout defense with Deustch and Turrin leading the way. Freshman forward David White is the real deal and was the NESCAC Rookie of the Year. Every NESCAC school pretty much wanted him.

They aren't going to give up too many goals or make too many mistakes defensively.

Norwich was fortunate that Amherst was missing a few key players last year in their victory in the Northfield Savings Bank Championship.

I'm expecting a one-goal game either way with the possibility of an empty net to make it a two-goal game.

2-1 or 3-1 someone.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuuk145 View Post
                      As Prez said, these guys have a sick defense. They tied Plattsburgh in the Stafford Ice Arena at the start of January with a 0-0 scoreline (they won the shootout to take the Cardinal Classic. If Norwich wants to win this one, they need to be prepared to win a 1-0 game. But even that isn't easy, as they are 8-2 in games decided by 1 goal (13-2 in games with a wider margin).

The key for the Cadets, more than ever, is getting pucks to the net. Amherst is 13-0-0 when outshooting their opponents, but 8-4-2 when getting outshot. Even then, you can't automatically expect to win... They have to be good shots. Their 2 goalies are boating .944 and .925 save percentages, and Amherst is only allowing 1.96 goals per game despite allowing an average of 31 shots (they themselves are scoring 3.33 goals per game on an average of 30 shots).

Also, you are playing them at home, where they are 14-1-0 this season.

All of that being said, Norwich has not been outshot by any opponent this season, are 5-1 in 1-goal games, are scoring 4.28 g/gm on 34 sh/gm, and allowing 1.42 g/gm on only 19 sh/gm. When it comes to special teams, Norwich takes fewer penalties and has a better conversion rate on both the PP and PK.

Of course, all of those are numbers, and in March (once the bracket is set) numbers are meaningless. If I had to venture a guess, it will be either 1-0 or 2-1 to Amherst. But that's just a guess.
                      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• "Norwich Men’s Hockey NCAA ticket playoff information:
                        Amherst College has set aside 400 tickets for Norwich fans attending this Saturday’s NCAA quarterfinal game at Amherst. Game time is 7:00 p.m., tickets will go on sale at Orr Rink at 5:30 p.m. Tickets prices are $6.00 adults and $4.00 Students/seniors.
                        Here is the link to the game for video streaming: http://nsnsports.net/colleges/amherst/
                        Audio Link: http://i1.stretchinternet.com:8000/wdev"

Question ... does that mean 400 tickets set aside but only to be sold at the rink? If that is the case what is the point of setting them aside? Norwich or Amherst fans would be equally able to buy them.

Or are the 400 tix set aside and being sold to Norwich fans in advance in Northfield?

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                          "
                          Question ... does that mean 400 tickets set aside but only to be sold at the rink? If that is the case what is the point of setting them aside? Norwich or Amherst fans would be equally able to buy them.
                          Or are the 400 tix set aside and being sold to Norwich fans in advance in Northfield?
                          This clarifies the previous release ... tix for Norwich fans will be for sale at Amherst the night of the game .... Still wondering why no fan bus ...

NCAA QUARTERFINAL TICKETS: NU will face off against Amherst on Saturday,3/21/15, at 7p.m. Amherst has made 400 tickets available for Cadet fans - they will go on sale starting at 5:30 p.m. at Orr Rink ($6/adult & $4/students and seniors).

It's an easy drive down there...let's go Cadet fans!

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                            This clarifies the previous release ... tix for Norwich fans will be for sale at Amherst the night of the game .... Still wondering why no fan bus ...

NCAA QUARTERFINAL TICKETS: NU will face off against Amherst on Saturday,3/21/15, at 7p.m. Amherst has made 400 tickets available for Cadet fans - they will go on sale starting at 5:30 p.m. at Orr Rink ($6/adult & $4/students and seniors).

It's an easy drive down there...let's go Cadet fans!
                            Had our hotel reserved LAST Thursday. See you all there!
                            The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

I not sure who is the favorite on this one but Amherst White and Jack Turrin were first team NESCAC and Rowbotham and Aaron Deutsch were awarded second team. That is a lot of talent right there. With Amherst, Trinity, Williams, Middlebury, and Bowdoin all considered very good teams I was wondering if the NESCAC should be considered the strongest league in the East. ECAC E and SUNYAC had some very good teams but not as many as the NESCAC. Both teams have outstanding goaltending so it should be a great defensive contest. I understand that the Amherst arena is a little on the small side.

Very strange policy on ticket allocation of not releasing tickets to the visiting team prior to the game. I realize the travel to Brattleboro + 30 miles is not big deal but it is still a long ways to drive without guaranty of a ticket. I was considering signing up for the bus but with no guaranty of tickets before the game I can see why that didn't happen. Was the same policy in effect when Plattsburgh played Amherst at Amherst a couple of years ago?
                              2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                              2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                                I not sure who is the favorite on this one but Amherst White and Jack Turrin were first team NESCAC and Rowbotham and Aaron Deutsch were awarded second team. That is a lot of talent right there. With Amherst, Trinity, Williams, Middlebury, and Bowdoin all considered very good teams I was wondering if the NESCAC should be considered the strongest league in the East. ECAC E and SUNYAC had some very good teams but not as many as the NESCAC. Both teams have outstanding goaltending so it should be a great defensive contest. I understand that the Amherst arena is a little on the small side.

Very strange policy on ticket allocation of not releasing tickets to the visiting team prior to the game. I realize the travel to Brattleboro + 30 miles is not big deal but it is still a long ways to drive without guaranty of a ticket. I was considering signing up for the bus but with no guaranty of tickets before the game I can see why that didn't happen. Was the same policy in effect when Plattsburgh played Amherst at Amherst a couple of years ago?
                                Norwich decided to do the tickets this way. Amherst would have overnight sent tickets if Norwich wanted to.
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X