Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 14-15

Originally posted by Tuuk145 View Post
    Getting back into hockey - does anyone have any predictions about the weekend? Obviously the St. Mike's games in the past have often been a time for brush-ups, work on puck possession, cycling and finesse. However, St. Mike's has shown over the past couple of seasons that they can make games very interesting and steal some too. I'm confident that the boys are ready for this one and hopeful that they are able to gain some goal scoring confidence.

Middlebury tomorrow should be equally as entertaining. The Panthers seem to be another team who is suffering from a bit of a talent-drop, or maybe the fact is that they are snake bitten and not scoring goals. Regardless, it's always a rivalry and not a game to take lightly. I think the name of the game this weekend is to capitalize early, stay out of the box and not let either team hang around too long.
    Looking forward to both games. STM has stepped up a lot. I think being in 4th place in the league at the halfway point is a historical achievement for them. They aren't top notch team, but unlike the past STM teams they are at least passable. Middlebury is always a challenge to play. It's too bad they have fallen on hard times compared to their historical level of performance, but they usually save their best for the Cadets.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      Looking forward to both games. STM has stepped up a lot. I think being in 4th place in the league at the halfway point is a historical achievement for them. They aren't top notch team, but unlike the past STM teams they are at least passable. Middlebury is always a challenge to play. It's too bad they have fallen on hard times compared to their historical level of performance, but they usually save their best for the Cadets.
      Lately St. Michael's has really given Norwich fits up in Burlington too....
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        Lately St. Michael's has really given Norwich fits up in Burlington too....
        Hate those mini-rinks like Cairns and Stafford. I know why it is the way it is, but it seems silly that the size of the rink is not standardized. I guess people can come to Kreitzberg or Kenyon and complain about too much ice surface, but the size of the arena does impact the way the game is played.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Hate those mini-rinks like Cairns and Stafford. I know why it is the way it is, but it seems silly that the size of the rink is not standardized. I guess people can come to Kreitzberg or Kenyon and complain about too much ice surface, but the size of the arena does impact the way the game is played.
          Agreed - it's funny how there are 'The Usual Suspects' when it comes to ice surfaces: Plattsburgh being confined, same with NEC and Cairns. Middlebury being an Olympic sheet, same with Skidmore, etc. etc. It certainly adds a variable into those games and no doubt brings some added work to practices leading up to those games. Unfortunately tonight at Cairns, we get the added bonus of the bleacher-side boards being backed up by concrete, which always makes for some interesting bounces.

I wonder if Matik will get any ice time this weekend. I know every contest is in question and no games are taken for granted, but he played well when he came in at Stafford. It'd be nice to see him get some time. Regardless - we're very lucky to have 3 very capable goaltenders. I'm not sure another team can say the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuuk145 View Post
            Agreed - it's funny how there are 'The Usual Suspects' when it comes to ice surfaces: Plattsburgh being confined, same with NEC and Cairns. Middlebury being an Olympic sheet, same with Skidmore, etc. etc. It certainly adds a variable into those games and no doubt brings some added work to practices leading up to those games. Unfortunately tonight at Cairns, we get the added bonus of the bleacher-side boards being backed up by concrete, which always makes for some interesting bounces.

I wonder if Matik will get any ice time this weekend. I know every contest is in question and no games are taken for granted, but he played well when he came in at Stafford. It'd be nice to see him get some time. Regardless - we're very lucky to have 3 very capable goaltenders. I'm not sure another team can say the same.
            Reichenbach will get the start tonight. I expect to see Ostepchuk at Middlebury tomorrow.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Cairns is NHL size, 200'x85', not really "mini".

r

Comment

Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk Middlebury. They just dumped P'Burg 3-1 @ the Stafford. What do you think that will do for them tomorrow @ home? We better have a disciplined team on the ice if we want a 4 point weekend.
                Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

• Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                  Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk Middlebury. They just dumped P'Burg 3-1 @ the Stafford. What do you think that will do for them tomorrow @ home? We better have a disciplined team on the ice if we want a 4 point weekend.
                  No more points are available to make it a four point weekend with tonight's Middlebury game since now ECAC-E and NESCAC are non-interlocking. So it is all about the bragging rights in VT...and NU pride. That is more than enough motivation. Panthers have been wounded lately...but as the Cards discovered last night they are still very lethal. Always a great game and to much emotion to favor anyone.

On another subject. Was I the only person who final gave up on the NSN broadcast of the NU/St. Mikes game? Between all the buffering and frozen screens...I finally just tossed in the towel...and listened to WDEV...
                  Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 01-17-2015, 09:23 AM.
                  Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                  Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

No, I had enough by the end of the first period! I just couldn't stand the constant stopping and starting, missing several of the goals. I thought it must be my age. Glad to know I was not alone.

NU56
                    Old Member
                    Maybe the Oldest

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                      Cairns is NHL size, 200'x85', not really "mini".
                      r
                      It always looked small to me - maybe it was the bench configuration, or maybe the lack of seating. There seemed to be about the same degree of spillover of the bench out of the Neutral zone that there is at Plattsburgh. In any case, didn't make much difference last night. Surprised the Knights didn't make a better showing. I ended up tuning out after the second period.

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
                        No, I had enough by the end of the first period! I just couldn't stand the constant stopping and starting, missing several of the goals. I thought it must be my age. Glad to know I was not alone.
                        NU 56---I am a decade behind you in the pecking order and believe me it was not old age. I did not see one of the five goals. Puck Voice saved the day....once again. I sense that NSN signs up schools to be in their network with no minimum requirement with regards to quality of broadcast, bandwidth, etc. Too bad--I just hope tonight we get a decent broadcast for the Middlebury game.
                        Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                          No more points are available to make it a four point weekend with tonight's Middlebury game since now ECAC-E and NESCAC are non-interlocking. So it is all about the bragging rights in VT...and NU pride. That is more than enough motivation. Panthers have been wounded lately...but as the Cards discovered last night they are still very lethal. Always a great game and to much emotion to favor anyone.

On another subject. Was I the only person who final gave up on the NSN broadcast of the NU/St. Mikes game? Between all the buffering and frozen screens...I finally just tossed in the towel...and listened to WDEV...
                          I gave up on the video after the first period and the whole thing by the end of the second. Nothing wrong with George's call, but after a while...the only thing that was good was we didn't go "no class" on them. I did see Matic got a little ice time. Kind of sad that a guy who put in so much is getting nothing but "pine time" instead of ice time.

Comment

I'm glad that there were others who had problems with the NSN broadcast. I thought it might have been on our end. We also missed the majority of the goals and finally just stayed with George and his call.

Comment

Middleburg always dangerous as our boys just found out. A 3 to 1 win for the Panthers--and I cannot recall when NU was held to so few SOG. Surprised to learn that NU had beaten them in all of the last eight meetings. But not tonight. Times like this that I am thankful we do not count the NESCAC games wit the interlock. Back to ECAC-E business as we welcome the boys to Maine next weekend.

Comment

OK, we beat Plattsburgh, lost to Plattsburgh, we beat Middlebury, lost to Middlebury. Will we be ready for the rubber match against either of them when the NCAA's come up in March?

Comment

Working...
                                X