Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 14-15

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
    Maybe the best hockey I have ever seen...great weekend with my son...BJ O'Brien assured SNC that there were no real losers that night . Both clubs OUTSTANDING. What a game.
    Certainly the second most exciting hockey game I've ever seen. While O'Brien deserves everything mentioned, Klingensmith deserves credit for a good game, and a better season.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuuk145 View Post
      In case some haven't seen it, there is an hour long documentary put together by some guys on the 2003 squad called "Rode Back to the Frozen Four" that is on Vimeo. You can watch it for free, and I would highly recommend it. Certainly lacks some of the HD quality stuff produced in recent years, but it's very thorough and a real pleasure to watch. Certainly brings back a lot of great memories of the club around the time when Kreitzberg was first built.

https://vimeo.com/23367882
      That's great stuff right there. That's exactly the kind of stuff I crave now, having only been introduced to DIII hockey a few years ago. I remember Rook Arrival Day in 2009 in Kreitzberg and, amidst my pending terror, looking around and thinking "Looks like these guys are pretty good at hockey."
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Tough Loss to Amhearst in OT tonight but another top ten game for Norwich and NCAA Div III Teams. It was a hard fought game, and a lot of fun to watch. The caliber of hockey being played in this division is improveing every year as indicated by the quality of play and close games. I still think Norwich could have gone to the semifinals, but that is not the way the puck bounced this year. With McShane coaching (please do not retire yet!) and the solid core of returning players, next season will be as equally entertaining and competitive. What a great recruiting year it has been and I am looking forward to next season even though I will be here in Florida and not in Krietzberg. Guys you have everything to be proud of and I think I speak for all of us fans, when I say thank you for the entertainment, excitement and excellant hockey that you gave us through a very long winter. You all are amazing players, scholars, leaders and gentlemen.

To all the seniors, we will sorely miss you, and I thank you for the hard work and dedication you gave to play hockey on one of the best teams in Div.III hockey. Good luck with your future endeavers and remember that you will always be a Cadet! Be Proud on all your accomplishments and work as hard on your future as you did on the past.

Finally, to George Commo- You thanked all of the fans tonight that listened to you call games on the radio/NSN video and suported the team from afar. That was very nice of you, however it is we who should thank you. You and Cory did another great job this year and we hope that you will continue for many more years to come. Since I moved to Florida, I have come to appreciate your broadcast of the games. I find it amazing that you know the names of the opposing players so well and the fact that you can keep track and report all the action that takes place. I listen to you instead of the video announcer of away games, because I know you will tell it the best and be impartial as well. When all I can get is your radio broadcast, I can picture what the players are doing on the ice. You are a great talent and assest to Norwich and all of Vermont! Cory, your inside knowledge of hockey in general, and your background of being on the bench guiding the players, is a great asset as well. I enjoy listening to your color commentary and personnally think you and George work well together. It has been such a pleasure listening to the both of you and I thank WDEV for doing the games even if you have to travel to Lake Placid, and other cities in the West. Your broadcast helps me to not miss Vermont as much. Yes I miss Vermont but not the cold and ice! Thank you both for keeping Norwich Hockey alive for me in a state that has very few college teams (if any).

Finally to the posters on this site, I enjoy reading and responding to your posts. May you all be happy and healthy until the season starts again next October. Hope spring will come soon to all of you in the cold north! Stay warm and good night Cadet fans.
        There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Another great year for the Cadets. I would like to echo the remarks of 17s'fanNU. I've listened to the WDEV broadcasts in VT, the Virgin Islands, and Georgia, and still believe that they are the best in hockey, Div I or III. Thanks for all you do. And thank you to the team for providing exciting hockey and representing the school so well. You can hold your heads high, you are the epitome of the Norwich code....Thanks for your efforts.
          Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
            Another great year for the Cadets. I would like to echo the remarks of 17s'fanNU. I've listened to the WDEV broadcasts in VT, the Virgin Islands, and Georgia, and still believe that they are the best in hockey, Div I or III. Thanks for all you do. And thank you to the team for providing exciting hockey and representing the school so well. You can hold your heads high, you are the epitome of the Norwich code....Thanks for your efforts.
            Meanwhile about the game. It seemed to me that Norwich had numerous opportunities to win faceoffs and take the pressure off in the last minute of regulation, but didn't. 5 draws that I counted and they lost every one of them. They got a couple of good breaks on disallowed goals. I was thinking win the faceoff and get it out of there. It was looking pretty scary from 2,000 miles away. The Amherst kids did a great job in the EA sequence, and NU couldn't respond - game, set, and match. It was a fair outcome, and great effort by Norwich, but not quite enough.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Sorry if you already debated this point, but as the #1 seed, seems Norwich got a raw deal with the play-in game and then having to play the #8 seed on their rink. As a NESCAC'er, we know how hard it is to beat Amherst at Orr. That was our Bantams only league loss all year. Just saying that if this game was @Norwich, maybe different outcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by bantam75 View Post
                Sorry if you already debated this point, but as the #1 seed, seems Norwich got a raw deal with the play-in game and then having to play the #8 seed on their rink. As a NESCAC'er, we know how hard it is to beat Amherst at Orr. That was our Bantams only league loss all year. Just saying that if this game was @Norwich, maybe different outcome.
                I could be wrong, but I believe Amherst was the #1 seed in the east and Adrain was the #1 seed in the west. If I had to guess, I'd wager that Adrian is the tournament's overall #1 seed.

Remember, the USCHO poll is fun to follow all season long, but means nothing...

Comment

• Originally posted by bantam75 View Post
                  Norwich wasn't the no. 1 seed. Amherst was. Norwich was only ranked No. 1 in the polls that mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the NCAA tournament. The NCAA has its own rankings based off of criteria and Norwich was No. 3 at best in those. Maybe even no. 4.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

The hangover today is real, Prez...was hoping it was a nightmare, but it wasn't.....
                    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                      The hangover today is real, Prez...was hoping it was a nightmare, but it wasn't.....
                      You aren't kidding.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Thanks so much 17'sFan and Peach for the complimentary comments ... from a play by play stand point it was a tough one to call last night ... the HATED camos and from an end of the rink location ... but we hung in there and its reassuring to hear that it sounded alright ...

As to the game ... yeah, the faceoffs in that last 42.8 seconds of regulation were excrutiating ... if we could just have gotten one clear up off that high glass and out of the zone ...
                        And then the play in overtime ...

Most devastating end to a season since the weird deflection that tied the championship game against UWS in Middlebury in 2002. But remember what followed that awful loss at Kenyon ... the 2003 National Championship!

We have huge skates to fill ... three horses on the blue line ... two real character guys up front ... and a valuable guy between the pipes. If anyone see's Steve Matson around town ask him what he is doing here? "Get out on the road Matson and get us those replacement players!!!" But we have a big talented crew coming back ... is anyone else as excited about two more years of Will Pelletier as I am?

Bottom line this was a heck of a season. Back in October did any of us even for a moment think this team would win 25 games? TWENTY-FIVE GAMES!!!
                        Great job guys ... See you next October!
                        Last edited by PuckVoice; 03-22-2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post

Bottom line back in October did any of us even for a moment think this team would win 25 games? TWENTY-FIVE GAMES!!!
                          Great job guys ... See you next October!
                          Excellent point. I talked about in the office earlier this year I would be happy if we won 15 games and finished in 3rd place in the ECAC East. This team well exceeded those expectations.

Hopefully all the important pieces are back next season and we can bring in a couple more goal scorers and a few more horses on the blue line. Currier, Hale and Thieda were a HUGE part of this team's success this year.

Predictions on next year's captains.

(C) Niezgoda
                          (A) Piacentini
                          (A) Pelletier
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

I was at the game last night and even though we lost, I have to say it is one of the better games I have seen.... ever. Makes me want to see the interlock come back. While I thought the Cadet's carried the play overall, Amherst was tough, and was truly stout with 6 on 5 in the last minute and the game on the line. I didn't get a great look at the winning goal as it happened so fast. But a great game nonetheless and a great season and am already looking forward to next year but I'll be a Lord Jeff's fan next weekend... they deserve it after such a gutsy win.

It pains me that UVM, Norwich women and Norwich men all had their seasons end within 24 hours.

P.S. I'm with you PuckVoice, let's burn those camos... though while in the stands when I said that I didn't like them someone told me that the players do like them.
                            P.S.S. Spending a night at Orr Rink makes one really appreciate that little jewel called Kreitzberg Arena we get to enjoy regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              Excellent point. I talked about in the office earlier this year I would be happy if we won 15 games and finished in 3rd place in the ECAC East. This team well exceeded those expectations.

Hopefully all the important pieces are back next season and we can bring in a couple more goal scorers and a few more horses on the blue line. Currier, Hale and Thieda were a HUGE part of this team's success this year.

Predictions on next year's captains.

(C) Niezgoda
                              (A) Piacentini
                              (A) Pelletier
                              I like your choices for Captians and agree completely that Niezgoda is the top man. His character and determination will help younger players figure out how to be a Cadet. No one tries harder on the ice every game than Piacentini, his work ethics will really be needed for a young club. Pelletier, well what can you say? His skill and play making remind me of a young man named Curtis McLean, a former Norwich Captain and All American. We have a great foundation that needs some new blood to replace some stunningly spectacular seniors. Matson needs to look for some sniper D men to join Smith, Brandrup and Rowland on the ice and a few more fast forwards like Pelletier, Piacentini and Pichette, the three P's I call them. George Commo would just love calling that line's play every game!!

About this years team, I would like to mention two players who always worked hard, but didn't always get the recognition. Cory Hale was outstanding this year and stepped up many times saving the team from a breakaway goal. I was so glad he got the goal last night that lit the fire for the team. Also, Nevin Lawler... fast and physical beating and contacting player's much bigger than him. He won more skirmishes in the corner and kept the puck in the zone long enough for Norwich to change up. He definately was an unsung hero and assistant captain. This year's team was so fun to watch and had a great attitude and work ethic. I'm so proud of them and bummed that they couldn't play at least one more game. Thank you Cadet's, it has been a pleasure knowing and cheering you on.
                              There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

The Amherst announcer on NSN was having a hard time with the camouflage uniforms and didn't mind saying so.

Comment

Working...
                                X