Norwich 14-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 14-15

I have been lurking on this thread since it opened--so I have been following the team, all the chatter about NU hockey as well as watching those games that have been televised or listened to them on WDEV.

Love the usual diversity of remarks about NU.... including why two games were not broadcasted, the value (or lack there of) of camouflage uniforms, the look of this new NU s team and specifically the two-goalie rotation.

For me, the team looks great—with everyone participating at all levels. The NU power play seems much stronger than last year with a little less incessant passing with more emphasis on taking the shot. I like both goalies, who both appear more than ready to confidently stand in there to defend their turf. In fact I am not sure I have seen such coolness in an NU goalie since “Clinger.” So far so good. That said, I saw UNE versus Castleton before they arrived in Northfield last weekend—and the Hurricanes are greatly improved. In fact I sense that entire ECAC-E is up a notch and tougher than ever. And surely the Primelink will also reveal how well we will stack up this year against all comers.

About those two games not video streamed. Each week I get a broadcast schedule from Cadet Crosby on all NU sports. And while I am a hockey zealot who wants to watch every game I also understand that resources are thinner these days. So be thankful for what we get and opt for the old Crosley Radio for an NU hockey fix when needed. The fact is most of NU's hockey games are streamed, and by comparison to other ECAC (amateur) broadcasts ours are far and away the most professionally produced. Puck Voice is the gold standard and his new color sidekick this year is doing a superb job. All that and over here in Maine the picture is even more crystal clear than ever (new camera or what?)…. and camera work first rate.

Sure we want to see all the games but don’t the parents of some kid from East Toledo, Ohio on the volleyball team deserves a video glimpse of “Junior?” Hate to sound like I am buying into the party line but the school does need to spread the resources judiciously around especially with an NU price tag of $45K balloons a year for every kid’s education? This has nothing to do with popularity of a sport or income generated…so lets leave that bull to the paid professional running the NCAA Division One sports.

Camouflage uniforms? Truth be told, we seem to have as good a reason as the services for wearing them. I cynically say that only because a few months back during a Congressional hearing--a Defense Department Official was asked why the five uniformed services each had their own “camo pattern.” He was asked because someone was actually questioning a planned $5 billion Army appropriation to change the Army pattern again for the third time in the last dozen years. The DOD official explained, "Congressman, you need to understand…. each service has its own camouflage pattern because it is all about branding."

Branding? All I could think of was back to Vietnam where some of our guys wore tiger stripes…and it not for branding…but to hide. Jeez, has the world really gone that nuts? So go ahead Nowich, wear those camo uniforms once and awhile if only for a change and as a reminder of your cadet roots. That at least makes as much sense than some “branding” nonsense that is coming from our nation’s capital.

Heading over this weekend to St. A.s and NEC to see the boys in person. Roll on Cadets.
    Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
    Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Old Rook NU'66, thanks for the great post, you said what I would like to say and you are right on. Keep up the support we all appreciate it. It seems like too much is always said about what we don't do and credit for what we do do goes unsaid. The picture is better because we are broadcasting all of our sports in HD. Thanks again.
      Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post

About those two games not video streamed. Each week I get a broadcast schedule from Cadet Crosby on all NU sports. And while I am a hockey zealot who wants to watch every game I also understand that resources are thinner these days. So be thankful for what we get and opt for the old Crosley Radio for an NU hockey fix when needed. The fact is most of NU's hockey games are streamed, and by comparison to other ECAC (amateur) broadcasts ours are far and away the most professionally produced. Puck Voice is the gold standard and his new color sidekick this year is doing a superb job. All that and over here in Maine the picture is even more crystal clear than ever (new camera or what?)…. and camera work first rate.

Sure we want to see all the games but don’t the parents of some kid from East Toledo, Ohio on the volleyball team deserves a video glimpse of “Junior?” Hate to sound like I am buying into the party line but the school does need to spread the resources judiciously around especially with an NU price tag of $45K balloons a year for every kid’s education? This has nothing to do with popularity of a sport or income generated…so lets leave that bull to the paid professional running the NCAA Division One sports.
        Outstanding post all the way through, but this part especially had me starting a slow clap in my office.
        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

One more point is that we do not charge to watch our streamed games, when you go to watch Saint Anselm this weekend I believe it is pay for view. We make every attempt to do the most with what we got and yes as much of a hockey fan as I am there are other sports here at the Wick.
          Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
            One more point is that we do not charge to watch our streamed games, when you go to watch Saint Anselm this weekend I believe it is pay for view. We make every attempt to do the most with what we got and yes as much of a hockey fan as I am there are other sports here at the Wick.
            I would disagree with that "other sports" stuff. Never understood why schools play basketball at all.

Seriously, I would think that outside of football, the biggest sports connection with Alumni would be hockey. I understand budget issues (there has never been a time at NU when there weren't budget issues), but I just think (selfishly, I'm sure) that there are other ways of saving than not showing two games of each gender in hockey on line. Isn't there some revenue support for the hockey broadcasts? When the games aren't shown, then there's no income from that. Just wondering...
            Last edited by NUProf; 11-20-2014, 01:45 PM.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              I would disagree with that "other sports" stuff. Never understood why schools play basketball at all.

Seriously, I would think that outside of football, the biggest sports connection with Alumni would be hockey. I understand budget issues (there has never been a time at NU when there weren't budget issues), but I just think (selfishly, I'm sure) that there are other ways of saving than not showing two games of each gender in hockey on line. Isn't there some revenue support for the hockey broadcasts? When the games aren't shown, then there's no income from that. Just wondering...

Just curious but do the rest of the ECAC East stream all there mens hockey home games. I am familiar with Castleton and they do stream all there games and St. A's charges a fee. With all available season tickets sold I would not think that attendance would be the issue. I have friends that travel in the winter and have always enjoyed watching and following Norwich hockey. Does Norwich athletic department keep records to see how many people log into the various sports? I would guess that Norwich mens hockey totals for hockey would much greater than any other of the sports.
              2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
              2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

• Originally posted by hawk View Post
                Just curious but do the rest of the ECAC East stream all there mens hockey home games. I am familiar with Castleton and they do stream all there games and St. A's charges a fee. With all available season tickets sold I would not think that attendance would be the issue. I have friends that travel in the winter and have always enjoyed watching and following Norwich hockey. Does Norwich athletic department keep records to see how many people log into the various sports? I would guess that Norwich mens hockey totals for hockey would much greater than any other of the sports.
                Men's hockey and football are very close. On average football usually beats a normal men's hockey game. However, during the playoffs men's hockey numbers usually go up pretty significantly. Women's hockey games have done very well too, especially in playoffs.

Those three sports definitely have the most viewers for sure, but we've been increasing viewership for soccer, basketball, lacrosse, wrestling and swimming and diving too
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  Never like to disagree with NU Prof....but I think we need to be careful and remember all the various "publics" that Norwich is trying to influence with its broadcasts and how their target audience is much broader than just the alumni.

And lets face it that is what it is all about. Broadcasting games at the DIII level is more about branding the school among "EVERY friend of the university" than the glamor Div I TV contract.

Yes, Norwich's public do include alumni...but other "publics" include parents of prospective students (be they athletes or not)....high school student athletes in other sports who might want to attend NU to play Basketball.... as well as non-graduate private donors. And personally, I was more disappointed that the recent visit and lecture given at NU by former Secretary of State Colin Powell was not broadcasted than I was missing a hockey game. I have since learned it was a contracting issue--but visiting names to NU like Powell, Condi Rice and Gen. Martin Dempsey (Chairman of the Joint Chiefs) and broadcasting them...are as important as DIII hockey championships. Maybe more.

I made an earlier reference to the quality of our broadcasting to others both in in terms of content and technical delivery. Hands down NU does it best. The difference is enormous--but I believe pays off on how our University is viewed by anyone interested in attending the school....to a parent making huge investments in the school as part of their child's education.... or maybe an alum just donating to its future.

Nice to hear about the HD investment from Cadet Crosby--there really is a difference. As far as all ECAC-E games being broadcasted--I am quite sure they are all broadcast. There is no comparison.
                  Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Old Rook, as usual, you make good points. I guess I'm a bit selfish. I want to see my cadets play whenever I can. I'm not looking forward to having to find video streams of lower quality that what we can see from Northfield. It know there is always a lot of push/pull and concern about allocation of scarce resources. I would scream just as loud and annoyed when my department got cut short on funds. I just know what I like, and I always want to see things bent in favor of my interests.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I believe if you do your homework you will see that Castleton does not stream all their games.

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                      Cadet Crosby '63

Comment

I can understand spreading the wealth between the various activities for webstreaming, but what gets my goat is the lame "reason" for doing it. We're big kids, we can handle the truth. Did the administration get Gruber to advise them on how to do it while he was advising the State of Vermont on healthcare?

Comment

First time poster, long time viewer here. Let me first say that I've been listening to WDEV's NU broadcast since the mid-late 90's, and had season tickets to Kreitzberg from it's inaugural season through 2012. I'm certain I'm not the only one that realizes that we are extremely lucky to have the level of radio talent that we do when the NSN stream is not running, or the cadets are on the road. I'm obviously biased, but George and his color guys all the way back to Dave Moody account for some of the best radio sports broadcasts I've been lucky enough to hear, including the call of the 2000 National Championship in Wisconsin before streaming was an option. That game-call is my second favorite broadcast ever, next to the Red Sox world series win in 2004...sorry guys.

That said, NSN and it's production level is a boon to the University and to the individual sports organizations. When I moved away to college in 2003 (to a fellow ECAC East school who we may or may not be playing this evening), I was grateful for the ability to follow the call on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons. Then when NSN went live I was even happier, as I could tune in from southern NH and feel even more a part of the Kreitzberg faithful. When NSN is down, sure, I'm a little bummed. But I think we all need to count our blessings that our radio broadcast is second-to-none, and use nights like tonight to have a bit of a throw-back and enjoy an old fashioned radio call. I'd rather listen to DEV broadcast the game than pay my alma mater (another) fee and miss George and Corey's insights.

Go Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by CROSBYNU63 View Post
                            I believe if you do your homework you will see that Castleton does not stream all their games.
                            You are 100% correct on the Castleton streaming. Throughout the years all the games I wanted to watch were streamed but as you correctly point out a few home games are not streamed. Good news is they are going to stream the Castleton/Norwich big game in a couple of weeks. Tickets as NSI pointed out are also available online at Castleton. Too bad Plattsburgh couldn't do the same thing instead of making you stand in line at the Field House for 3 hours before the game. Link to buy tickets attached.

http://www.castletonsports.com/sport...14-15/schedule
                            2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                            2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by Former NUSuntan View Post
                              I can understand spreading the wealth between the various activities for webstreaming, but what gets my goat is the lame "reason" for doing it. We're big kids, we can handle the truth. Did the administration get Gruber to advise them on how to do it while he was advising the State of Vermont on healthcare?
                              To be honest when I got my weekly sport NSN broadcast schedule from the NU Sports Info Department and saw no NSN game scheduled--I simply asked, "Why?"

The school immediately replied with all that easy to handle "truth" you seek with an explanation that would be the envy of Time Warner's Customer Service Department. Their added caveat of measuring the impact on actual attendance at the game by "blacking out" two broadcasts seems just as reasonable. The NFL did it locally in cities for years until ever seat was sold in that local market's stadium.

As I said earlier, a limited budget is not a lame reason and seems to make sense to me given all the various communities that the school must serve. Do I sense that some fans feel that fully broadcasting all NU hockey games has become some sort of free unlimited public entitlement that trumps all other considerations--including its cost?

What I find more annoying is when the Cadets play away and I find myself accessing the streaming video from their opponent's arena only to be asked to pay to watch. That's okay if that is the media model they want to use. But what really gets my goat is my return on that investment is all to often.... jerky camera work....constant buffering....and two freshmen frat boys majoring in broadcast journalism taking a stab at calling maybe the fastest moving college sport.

So lets move on and talk hockey

Comment

Well George...you got what you wanted...people are talking in this thread...Not necessarily about the team and the season, but they're talking!

GO Norwich this weekend with its first road trip! I'll be following while I make the trek out to Central NY to spy on the Lakers taking on Utica in the Frozen Dome game!
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X