• Show
Clear All

Re: Your Political Stance - 2014 Edition

You are a left social libertarian.
    Left: 6.36, Libertarian: 3.69
    "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the only thing impacting the Right/Left indicator are the economic questions. The only reason I can think of as to why that this was done to avoid confusion in terminology between social libertarian and economic libertarian (social libert. & right), as well as social authoritarian and economic authoritarian (social auth. & left).
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Won't matter as DC will continue to be a do nothing cluster****.
        Lather, rinse, repeat.
        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
        Groucho Marx
        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
        Ron White
        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
        Milo Bloom

Comment

June 2014: Left Social Libertarian
          Left: 6.02, Libertarian: 3.64
          Foreign Policy: -7.15
          Culture: -6.8
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            This same quiz, or one that's worded very similarly, with the quadrant output, used to be on one of the Libertarian Party's websites. I'm not sure if it's still there or not. I read the quiz and got the impression that they make it very appealing to choose the libertarian point of view on many of these issues, more so than most people are likely to answer when/if they're discussing amongst friends.
            It used to be called "the world's smallest political quiz." It was obviously loaded to push the capital L Libertarian position. You basically had to be Karl Marx or Vlad the Impaler not to get the answer, "it turns out you're a Libertarian!"
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
              I am f*ed. I'm hardcore hawk and economy, but socially very liberal. I have no home. ... now who do I vote for? Hillary? or some right wing whack job that the Republicans run?
              Sounds like you're a Christie voter; if he gets nominated you should have no trouble backing him. There are also some blue dog Dems you might like. Not sure what Evan Bayh is doing these days.

Really, that combination (fiscally conservative, foreign policy hawk, socially tolerant) is not unusual among northeastern or PNW state and/or urban local Republicans, or deep southern suburban Democrats.
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                It used to be called "the world's smallest political quiz." It was obviously loaded to push the capital L Libertarian position. You basically had to be Karl Marx or Vlad the Impaler not to get the answer, "it turns out you're a Libertarian!"
                Yeah, I remember when that quiz was cool in 2003. *rattles false teeth*

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Yeah, I remember when that quiz was cool in 2003. *rattles false teeth*
                  Punch the monkey in the face and win an iPod Shuffle!
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Subscribed only to remind me to take this at work tomorrow.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

My Political Views
                      I am a center-right social libertarian
                      Right: 2.2, Libertarian: 4.15

Political Spectrum Quiz

My Foreign Policy Views
                      Score: -0.98

Political Spectrum Quiz

My Culture War Stance
                      Score: -2.23

Political Spectrum Quiz
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Are there any foreign policy hawks under the age of 70 anymore? I'm not sure how you'd judge that question but in context of the two most recent wars it seems very few people would to still be there, or even think the wars were worthwhile. On the other hand, asking if we should defend Canada if Putin invades it or something like that will get a high positive response but doesn't necessary make you Dick Cheney if you answer in the affirmative....
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Apparently my views have swung opposite of what I expected...
                          Ever so slightly more to the right (puzzling)
                          My views have become less libertarian (also puzzling)
                          I'm less of a non-interventionalist (baffling)
                          More culturally conservative (very baffling)

Not sure why these have swung the way they did. Everything but my politics score shifted more towards the center while the politics swung to the right.
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Apparently my views have swung opposite of what I expected...
                            Ever so slightly more to the right (puzzling)
                            My views have become less libertarian (also puzzling)
                            I'm less of a non-interventionalist (baffling)
                            More culturally conservative (very baffling)

Not sure why these have swung the way they did. Everything but my politics score shifted more towards the center while the politics swung to the right.
                            It's likely the importance of the various items on the list. If you rated it as very important in the past, but only as important now (perhaps because things have improved in that area, in your opinion), that will move your score more towards the center than last time. Or, of course, the opposite would be true if you're moving further from center on a rating. Now, if you've moved from somewhere on the left to being on the right, then you've got other considerations, but that's not something we've seen out of people reporting their results here.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I don't generally discuss politics on the internet, but the quiz is interesting.

My Political Views
                              I am a center-left social libertarian
                              Left: 1.13, Libertarian: 4.59

Political Spectrum Quiz

My Foreign Policy Views
                              Score: -4.91

Political Spectrum Quiz

My Culture War Stance
                              Score: -7.39

Political Spectrum Quiz

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                I'm pretty sure that the only thing impacting the Right/Left indicator are the economic questions. The only reason I can think of as to why that this was done to avoid confusion in terminology between social libertarian and economic libertarian (social libert. & right), as well as social authoritarian and economic authoritarian (social auth. & left).

I had developed a similar grid a few years ago without using the "left-right" concept at all. I had a similar vertical axis of Centralized Control on top and Individual Liberty on the bottom (their Authoritarian / Libertarian axis), but the horizontal axis was Radical - Conservative ("left" / Radical was "don't trust your elders, invent new things" and "right" / Conservative was "we've tested these ideas for a long time and empirically we generally have found them to be pretty effective over time").

In this grid, "progressives" would be upper left, "monarchists" would be upper right, "liberals" would be lower right, and "anarchists" would be lower left.

It was surprising to me to see liberals and progressives as polar opposites in this terminology since so many people use the two words interchangeably.

To me a "liberal" was individual liberty and (mostly) free markets while a "progressive" is all about government control and "we are smarter than anyone who ever lived" superiority.

If you want to place a "classic" thinker on each axis, you'd have Hobbes or Plato on the top, Marx on the left, Burke on the right, and Jefferson or Adam Smith on the bottom.
                                Last edited by FreshFish; 06-13-2014, 09:04 AM.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X