Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Still Complaining About ESPN...

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    I tried a couple of different things on the Tube didn't get much. Typed in Bos/Port highlights and got a couple of minutes from Wed nights game. Typed in Bruins/Hawks game from last night and got nothing.

I'll continue to get scores and written recaps on "The World Wide Leader In Sports" website.
    Did you try the team's site? The world has changed. (Ooh, ah!)

The teams, leagues and various news services have started moving that content to their own sites, driving more traffic and ad revenue to themselves rather than Google. ESPN made the YouTube comment long before high quality video streaming was common to all the different parts of the web.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Did you try the team's site? The world has changed. (Ooh, ah!)

The teams, leagues and various news services have started moving that content to their own sites, driving more traffic and ad revenue to themselves rather than Google. ESPN made the YouTube comment long before high quality video streaming was common to all the different parts of the web.
      The world has changed. (Ooh, ah!)
      It's passing me by. The network admin in work only allows a few minutes a day to access certain websites. Might as try well get it all at once.

A guy in work gave me sage advice once, "don't worry about things you can't control."
      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Exactly!

I want reliable internet service from an internet-only company. Can't get that here, Comcast has a monopoly on the cable lines, and the FCC knee-capped DSL. DSL has the capacity to deliver order of magnitude better internet than available in US (e.g., South Korea). Perhaps not quite the thread to rant about how big government and big business are supporting each other at our expense?
        Last edited by FreshFish; 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Exactly!

I want reliable internet service from an internet-only company. Can't get that here, Comcast has a monopoly on the cable lines, and the FCC knee-capped DSL. DSL has the capacity to deliver order of magnitude better internet than available in US (e.g., South Korea). Perhaps not quite the thread to rant about how big government and big business are supporting each other at our expense?
          The FCC did nothing of the sort.

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
            The FCC did nothing of the sort.
            which agency was it then? One of them did. The alphabet soup we have to sort through today is absurd.

EDIT: this article says that it indeed was the FCC, because the FCC regulates DSL under regulations that apply to telephone companies, while cable companies are regulated in a different category, and so there indeed are significantly different regulatory regimens for DSL internet compared to cable internet in the US. It is a long and complex article and I haven't the inclination to wade through it all now and parse it precisely. However,

Because DSL services are offered over telephone lines, telephone companies providing high-speed internet access were at this time subject to mandatory common-carrier regulation, including the requirement that they share the "last mile" connection with unaffiliated ISPs. It has not been so clear, though, how cable modem services should be categorized. If cable modem service providers were deemed to be offering telecommunications services, they would necessarily be subject to Title II requirements for common carriers, including the requirement to carry competitor's signals.

In contrast, if they were deemed to be offering information services without a telecommunications services component they would not be subject to such requirements.

the FCC's position that the nature of cable modem services should be interpreted from the consumer's point of view, summarizing the FCC's conclusion that "cable modem service is not a telecommunications offering ....

The Brand X ruling, in upholding the FCC's classification of cable modem services as an "information service," thus upheld the exemption of cable modem service providers from regulation as a common carrier under Title II.
            That says quite clearly that DSL is regulated under one set of rules while cable is regulated under a different set of rules. So it looks like my original statement, that the FCC treats DSL differently than cable, is indeed correct. I assume you merely reacted negatively to the verb I used as more pejorative than descriptive, while if I had used a different verb to describe the same action...

The effect of this differential regulatory regime creates a "free rider" problem for DSL that does not impede cable, and so investment in DSL lags in the US compared to other countries that do not burden DSL with the free rider problem that inhibits its development in the US.

anyway, DSL iin the US is slower than DSL in other countries that do not impose the same constraints, especially countries that developed their technological infrastructure much later, where they are not burdened by out-of-date historical anomalies.

PS How can they possibly say that "cable modem service is not a telecommunications offering"? that is nonsensical, isn't email transmitted over cable modem service? aren't telephone signals (like vonage) transmitted over cable modem service? how about Skype?
            Last edited by FreshFish; 03-04-2016, 03:32 PM.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Curt Schilling posted a bigoted anti-transgender meme to his Facebook yesterday.

ESPN apparently has had enough, and has sacked him. (per Deadspin)
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

@Ourand_SBJ: SBD: Mike Tirico is leaving ESPN for NBC. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...25/Tirico.aspx

-------

@richarddeitsch: As first reported by @Ourand_SBJ: I'm also hearing Sean McDonough is the heavy favorite to replace Tirico on "MNF."
                Last edited by joecct; 04-25-2016, 03:27 PM.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  @Ourand_SBJ: SBD: Mike Tirico is leaving ESPN for NBC. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...25/Tirico.aspx

-------

@richarddeitsch: As first reported by @Ourand_SBJ: I'm also hearing Sean McDonough is the heavy favorite to replace Tirico on "MNF."
                  It also appears that Skip Bayless is leaving for FOX Sports.
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    ESPN just improved immensely and FS1 has dropped off my radar completely.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                      Thank God. Never watch the "news" on Fsports, so there's less of a possibility of accidentally hearing him.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        ESPN just improved immensely and FS1 has dropped off my radar completely.
                        Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Thank God. Never watch the "news" on Fsports, so there's less of a possibility of accidentally hearing him.
                        Confirmed.

He's leaving right after the NBA Finals. Ohhhhhhh..... SEE YA, B!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          Gonna start this [thread though with praise.
                          National Spelling Bee finals on tonight, starting 8 PM EDST.

$40,000 of prize money, apparently.

538 has a story about it today.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...rds-come-from/

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            National Spelling Bee finals on tonight, starting 8 PM EDST.

$40,000 of prize money, apparently.

538 has a story about it today.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...rds-come-from/
                            Somebody on this board has a history with that contest, a moment of infamy if you will, but refuses to explicitly state which of the many moments that is. I'm guessing he's not the kid who passed out from a word I couldn't pretend to even pronounce [ETA: alopecoid], nor did he have to spell sardoodledom.
                            Last edited by St. Clown; 05-26-2016, 11:58 AM.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Per Deadspin, Chris Berman will retire from ESPN at the end of this upcoming NFL season.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Somebody on this board has a history with that contest, a moment of infamy if you will, but refuses to explicitly state which of the many moments that is. I'm guessing he's not the kid who passed out from a word I couldn't pretend to even pronounce [ETA: alopecoid], nor did he have to spell sardoodledom.
                                I know which moment it is, but I'll leave you guys to figure it out.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X