Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Still Complaining About ESPN...

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The 30s are beyond awesome, even if they are about an event you don't care about.
    I would say especially. When they are about something I know well I see all the flaws and the only thing that stands out is the ESPN boosterism. But the ones about completely obscure stuff are better than crack.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I abandoned all that ESPN has to offer other than a live sporting event of a team I root for. I even gave up watching random live sports of teams I don't care about (used to be one of the great pleasures in life for me) such is my hatred for most things ESPN. 99% of the downfall of televised sports can be traced to them, as far as I am concerned. But for some reason, the 30 for 30 docs (and not all of this genre comes under that title) are the exception that proves the rule. I find them all to be well done, interesting and informative. Their last ditch attempt at real "journalism," something that they used to actually pay a little attention to. Famously, ESPN did a great job in the early minutes and hours after the '89 San Francisco earthquake because of ABCs (and ESPNs) coverage of the games. Today you would not see comprehensive coverage like that from them I'm guessing as they have cut so much to the bone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I would say especially. When they are about something I know well I see all the flaws and the only thing that stands out is the ESPN boosterism. But the ones about completely obscure stuff are better than crack.
        I could see that viewpoint.

From my point of view, I was a fan of Greg LeMond, but was too young to know all the politics behind the racing when that was going on. So I was interested in what would make that rivalry interesting. Hoo-boy....a LOT. Same with the Evert/tennis one.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          My favorites (although put quotation marks around the first one) are "The Four Falls Of Buffalo" and "The Badger" (LeMond). The Escobars is pretty good, and chasing Tyson was outstanding.
          "The Band Played On" was really good for something where I knew little to nothing about the story at the outset.

And "Broke" should be required watching for any rookie in any sport.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
            "The Band Played On" was really good for something where I knew little to nothing about the story at the outset.

And "Broke" should be required watching for any rookie in any sport.
            There will be a 30 for 30 on Ric Flair.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Since this is the complain about ESPN thread, has anyone checked out the Olympic Network, published by NBC?

It took the place of an odd NBC channel call NBC Universal- which, at one time, did show Olympic sports at one time or another. Then it showed stuff.

Now it's back to Olympic Sports- I recently saw some water polo, and right now, the Swimming World Championships from Hungary are on in the evening.

It's nice to see a sports channel show sports instead of cards and auctions or more talking heads.

Comment

ESPN de Ocho is a thing. A real thing. But only for today, showing the lesser-televised things.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...ocho-august-8/

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  ESPN de Ocho is a thing. A real thing. But only for today, showing the lesser-televised things.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...ocho-august-8/
                  Where as the Olympic channel is showing the IIAF World Championships from London. Yea.

Just like they showed the swimming world championships before.

The more time goes on, the less ESPN I watch.

(Although, it does appear that the 6PM Sports Center did go back to Sports Center and not the SC6 Entertainment Tonight)

Comment

Since there's no IAAF WC thread- heartbreaking ending to Usain Bolt's career- he hurt himself in the last leg of the 4x100 relay, which is his last race. What a great champion.

Comment

How about the 1-2 finish for the US Women in the Steeplechase? That race was nuts.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        How about the 1-2 finish for the US Women in the Steeplechase? That race was nuts.
                        That was epic. And the reactions were amazing.

Comment

http://deadspin.com/this-espn-fantas...kes-1797854793

Not that this would ever be a good idea, but after this weekend no one thought to maybe axe the segment?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

many weeks now since mookie last viewed the worldwide leader.....
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              many weeks now since mookie last viewed the worldwide leader.....
                              I only ever see it at bars and barbershops these days. When I do get a glimpse of it, I'm reminded time and again that I'm not missing anything.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                I only ever see it at bars and barbershops these days. When I do get a glimpse of it, I'm reminded time and again that I'm not missing anything.
                                Pretty much. Would rather watch ESPN at a bar than a fishing show on FSN.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X