Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Good Thoughts and Prayers Needed Thread 2

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I got the call this morning that my dad has stage IV long cancer that has spread to his brain and adrenal gland. Not looking good, and really won't know more until Monday at the earliest....
    Thinking of you, Shirtless. Sending peaceful thoughts and healing vibes to you and your dad.

Comment

Some good news to brighten days: Mom's biopsy (ear) came back pre-cancerous and the doctor was able to clear it with a tiny excision; there was no blood transmission so she is in the clear. It was a stroke of luck because she was in for something else (she's 90 -- something is always wrong) and they happened to find it en passant.

Thanks all for your good thoughts.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I got the call this morning that my dad has stage IV long cancer that has spread to his brain and adrenal gland. Not looking good, and really won't know more until Monday at the earliest....
        You have all my best wishes and karma. I got the same phone call about my Dad (lymphoma) about 5 years ago.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Some good news to brighten days: Mom's biopsy (ear) came back pre-cancerous and the doctor was able to clear it with a tiny excision; there was no blood transmission so she is in the clear. It was a stroke of luck because she was in for something else (she's 90 -- something is always wrong) and they happened to find it en passant.

Thanks all for your good thoughts.
          Great to hear.

Comment

So Friday we finally met my dad's oncologist, he starts chemo in a couple weeks after radiation on his brain tumors. My dad didn't want to know but the oncologist said 8-12 months.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So Friday we finally met my dad's oncologist, he starts chemo in a couple weeks after radiation on his brain tumors. My dad didn't want to know but the oncologist said 8-12 months.
              praying

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                praying
                Thank you. We are visiting my brother in law and his family in Baltimore. We went to church with them today. They had a moment to where my in laws went up front to pray him and I cried. Then after then survive, I thanks the minister for praying for my dad and lost it. I'm so scared to lose him but I have to remember that I hopefully get 8+ more months with him. I just hope they're good months...and we get a few more than the doctors think.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Things are new and fresh. Everything seems poignant. It is OK to be mad, sad, happy, angry with the person and the circumstances. At this point try to concentrate on the now. You will work out the 'then' when it comes.

Comment

I thought it was about time I sent another update. My dad is doing well, he has completed his cyberknife treatments to remove the tumors in his brain, and they have started to ween him off the steroids which were helping him reduce swelling in his brain from those masses, if that goes well, it will be the first major indication that the cyberknife treatments worked. It will be great if the weening works because my mom says that he's been very mean/irritable lately. chemo is supposed to start the 2nd week of November, which has been pushed back twice now...once by the Dr and once by my dad so his 2nd treatment isn't scheduled during a time that would screw up deer hunting. One of our neighbors is a doctor and has asked to attend my dad's next meeting with the oncologist to ask questions and make sure my dad has all the information that he needs. From what my mom said, the neighbor dr doesn't seem to agree with chemo but I'm not sure what he really thinks the alternative should be? Maybe he just doesn't think my dad's life will be extended enough to be worth the discomfort caused by chemo? I hate the thought of my dad accepting whatever he has left without further treatment but I appreciate the neighbor being involved to ask questions us laypeople may not think of or understand well enough to formulate questions.

Comment

I thought it was about time I sent another update. My dad is doing well, he has completed his cyberknife treatments to remove the tumors in his brain, and they have started to ween him off the steroids which were helping him reduce swelling in his brain from those masses, if that goes well, it will be the first major indication that the cyberknife treatments worked. It will be great if the weening works because my mom says that he's been very mean/irritable lately. chemo is supposed to start the 2nd week of November, which has been pushed back twice now...once by the Dr and once by my dad so his 2nd treatment isn't scheduled during a time that would screw up deer hunting. One of our neighbors is a doctor and has asked to attend my dad's next meeting with the oncologist to ask questions and make sure my dad has all the information that he needs. From what my mom said, the neighbor dr doesn't seem to agree with chemo but I'm not sure what he really thinks the alternative should be? Maybe he just doesn't think my dad's life will be extended enough to be worth the discomfort caused by chemo? I hate the thought of my dad accepting whatever he has left without further treatment but I appreciate the neighbor being involved to ask questions us laypeople may not think of or understand well enough to formulate questions.
                      If the treatment makes the time longer but so miserable they can't do anything is is worth it? I think that is usually why people decline.

Saying a prayer

Comment

an update from here. My mom is currently halfway through the really nasty chemo (every other week), then she has 12 weeks of more chemo (once a week), then a few months of radiation (5 days a week). She'll be going through chemo through the holidays, which sucks. She lost her hair this week, so that's been tough all around, but she has a great attitude. No other nasty chemo side effects yet, so that's good.

Comment

* cancer!! Good thoughts sent up

Comment

Although I did not know anyone personally, I have friends who have friends missing or known to have died in the warehouse fire in Oakland. Please keep them in your thoughts as many are really hurting right now.

Comment

A coworker of mine... his mom passed away just before Thanksgiving, and if that wasn't enough, his dad just died.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                A coworker of mine... his mom passed away just before Thanksgiving, and if that wasn't enough, his dad just died.
                                Are they quite old? If they are say in their 80s this doesn't surprise me. When my Dad passed away at 86 we were on stand-by with my Mom for the first few months, but we should have known she'll bury us all. She's 91 now and is the unsinkable Molly Brown.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X