Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: The Good Thoughts and Prayers Needed Thread 2

Re: The Good Thoughts and Prayers Needed Thread 2

good idea

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    good idea
    There are plenty of things I can send (looking at Meijer/Target/Wal-Mart gift cards), or I can always take her out for lunch again. From my experience on Friday, it sounded like she needed it.

Hate to bring up my dad again, but he's Type 2, and has a similar delusion. As the saying goes, "you are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choice." Does that make sense?
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    There are plenty of things I can send (looking at Meijer/Target/Wal-Mart gift cards), or I can always take her out for lunch again. From my experience on Friday, it sounded like she needed it.

Hate to bring up my dad again, but he's Type 2, and has a similar delusion. As the saying goes, "you are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choice." Does that make sense?
    Great line!

I would do the listening thing. If you ask in 5 yrs that will be the thing she remembers

lubba wubba dub dub

My dad was Type 2, and he used to play these games with this blood sugar. He'd eat a single Hershey's bar, and then immediately test his blood sugar levels. Then he'd declare success! Either he deluded himself to not checking after a few minutes of metabolizing the chocolate that he'd somehow conquered his diabetes. Then he'd sneak in a six-pack of chocolate bars when he thought nobody was looking. Time and again he'd pull these games. He ended up losing half of one leg, suffered from renal failure, heart disease, and dementia all rooted in his diabetes "tests." Idiot.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    My dad was Type 2, and he used to play these games with this blood sugar. He'd eat a single Hershey's bar, and then immediately test his blood sugar levels. Then he'd declare success! Either he deluded himself to not checking after a few minutes of metabolizing the chocolate that he'd somehow conquered his diabetes. Then he'd sneak in a six-pack of chocolate bars when he thought nobody was looking. Time and again he'd pull these games. He ended up losing half of one leg, suffered from renal failure, heart disease, and dementia all rooted in his diabetes "tests." Idiot.
    I could tell stories all day. Denial is the worst drug a human can take

YIKES!!1!11!!!!! This is totally NOT true!!!!! no wonder there are problems. Insulin is only so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yeah, that's like saying if a guy pulls out there's no chance of pregnancy regardless of whether or not he's wearing a raincoat.
    I could tell stories all day. Denial is the worst drug a human can take
    Back when I was morbidly obese, I owned it. However, when I was deep in an eating disorder, that's when I started serving denial. My denial came to an end when I was sent to the ER one day with a hemoglobin level of 6.
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka

Back when I was morbidly obese, I owned it. However, when I was deep in an eating disorder, that's when I started serving denial. My denial came to an end when I was sent to the ER one day with a hemoglobin level of 6.
    that is impressive. Denial comes in all colors and flavors. People successfully recruit those around them to support the denial because that is less painful than admitting the person they know has a problem

that is impressive. Denial comes in all colors and flavors. People successfully recruit those around them to support the denial because that is less painful than admitting the person they know has a problem
    The compliments were replaced with concern. "Eat something! You're killing yourself!" From about November 2009 to July 2010, I basically stuck my fingers in my ears and said "la la la, I can't hear you!"

Had right hip replacement last Friday and got out of the hospital on Sun. Started PT(pain and torture)on Tues and she put me through my paces. The therapist said she was impressed by what I was able to do.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Had right hip replacement last Friday and got out of the hospital on Sun. Started PT(pain and torture)on Tues and she put me through my paces. The therapist said she was impressed by what I was able to do.
    that does not sound pleasant.

that does not sound pleasant.
    The worst thing about the whole ordeal so far was the 2 nights I had to spend in the hospital.

When my Mom had hip replacement the drugs they gave her made her wake up in full on John Nash bug-eyed paranoid mode. It was really, really sad and scary -- as if an entirely different personalty took over. It lasted almost 2 full days and we were starting to fear it was going to be permanent when she snapped out of it.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When my Mom had hip replacement the drugs they gave her made her wake up in full on John Nash bug-eyed paranoid mode. It was really, really sad and scary -- as if an entirely different personalty took over. It lasted almost 2 full days and we were starting to fear it was going to be permanent when she snapped out of it.
    My AUntie had that. Thought people had locked her in a barn and lit it on fire but she couldn't leave becausae they would shoot her. it was awful.

My AUntie had that. Thought people had locked her in a barn and lit it on fire but she couldn't leave becausae they would shoot her. it was awful.
    Yes.

My Mom would act completely fine and pleasant around the nurses and then whisper to me, "don't trust any of these people, they're trying to steal the house." She'd tell me to go to the house to "check that it's still there." As in, physically there, on its foundation.

It was terrifying because everything about her affect was still Mom, a few of the wires were just Closed For Repair.

I would explain everything very carefully -- my Mom was a career RN so she knew the drill -- and she'd nod and then tell me to take the keys and go look...

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Yikes!!! They gave me generic Celebrex, aspirin, and 10mg Oxy which I took one of and promptly put in the dresser drawer. Like I said, it really hasn't been all that bad.

Yikes!!! They gave me generic Celebrex, aspirin, and 10mg Oxy which I took one of and promptly put in the dresser drawer. Like I said, it really hasn't been all that bad.
    I strongly suspect it was the combo with the other 18 things she was on at the same time for low blood pressure, migraine, clotting, etc...

All this for a lady who would have made a perfect Russian Orthodox priest. She always kinda resented sulfa drugs because if you get syphilis that's God's judgment. My Mom is a strange chick.

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

My friend with the Type 1 diabetic daughter? Mom understands that "you are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choice." The daughter, on the other hand... has to be reminded daily of how tenuous the situation is. She really doesn't want to do what's necessary for, you know, being alive.

And a good friend of mine from college, one that I still talk to on a regular basis, has been diagnosed with breast cancer.
    ― Franz Kafka

The little kiddo who is our Hockey Team Impact player is post liver transplant. He is experiencing 'mild rejection' and the just started giving him treatment. Asking for prayers, good vibes etc. He is the cutest, most personable kiddo. Praying he is OK

Thread Information