Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College Pioneers 2014-2015: Bust. Let's try this again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College Pioneers 2014-2015: Bust. Let's try this again!

We got the weather we wanted so we made the drive. UC probably deserved a better fate than the sister-kisser v. Amherst (can't remember the last time I saw TWO EAGs scored in fewer than two minutes) but this is a very young team that's still learning how to close-out a game. After a constipated 1st, the game had a lot of flow and was fun to watch.

Still, a tie against a quality opponent such as Amherst isn't a disaster. After the shootout "loss", I commented to the Jeff's fan next to me that his guys won the booby-prize, and he ruefully agreed.

If Utica ever is invited back here, a few more of you might consider making the trip. It's about 3.5 hours from the Utica exit (cutting across on 67 from Amsterdam) but it's an easy drive. No traffic at all, and 87 above Glens Falls features beautiful scenery. Stafford is a great place to watch hockey, too.

Watched NEC after we dined. That team looks pretty good, despite being whitewashed by Platty. Not going to be a cakewalk tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      If Utica ever is invited back here, a few more of you might consider making the trip.
      I had planned to drive up and back tomorrow if UC-PS was the late game. Can't make the early game unfortunately.

Comment

For what it's worth, I though Utica was the better of the two teams and should have probably won this game. As a Plattsburgh fan, I was looking forward to playing the Pioneers for a change of pace. We have played Amherst and their suffocating defensive style quite a bit in recent years (without much success). Utica has some good-looking skill forwards but I thought they were just average in the back and took a few dumb penalties. Could be a solid team in a year or two.

Comment

Fair assessment, Cards...

This team is very young and is improving steadily, though. It was a "shoulda-woulda-coulda" game for UC and the outcome was disappointing, but once OT expired, I was fine with them losing the SO and drawing NEC. At least now they have a pretty fair shot at going home with a win, a tie, and a little more confidence.

As far as the championship goes, I predict Plattsburgh's speed will render the Jeffs' trapping game moot, much as Utica's speed (eventually) did yesterday. My bold prediction: PSU by 4-2 or 5-2.

Comment

UC looked good yesterday afternoon. I was surprised to see Simic get the start, but he wasn't challenged too often, and was perfect in net.

We hung-around for the 2nd game. What I took away from watching that (excellent) contest was that there's maybe a sheet of paper between Amherst, Plattsburgh and Utica, collectively, and I wouldn't know where to put it... Parity seems to reign in the East right now, at least with Norwich aside.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              UC looked good yesterday afternoon. I was surprised to see Simic get the start, but he wasn't challenged too often, and was perfect in net.

We hung-around for the 2nd game. What I took away from watching that (excellent) contest was that there's maybe a sheet of paper between Amherst, Plattsburgh and Utica, collectively, and I wouldn't know where to put it... Parity seems to reign in the East right now, at least with Norwich aside.
              More light will be shed on that Tuesday night. At this point I agree, but time will tell.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Outside of the Plattsburgh win, I don't think Norwich has done a whole lot to be considered ABOVE the rest of the Eastern contenders. I think the parity argument is very valid. We'll know a lot more about Norwich over the next week when they face Plattsburgh Tuesday and then host UMass-Boston and Babson this weekend.

Oswego, Plattsburgh, Utica, Norwich, Babson, UMass-Boston, Amherst, Trinity, Bowdoin, Hobart, Neumann all seem to be forming a tight upper echelon in the East this year. It wouldn't shock me to see any of those 11 represent the East in the FF in Minny.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Outside of the Plattsburgh win, I don't think Norwich has done a whole lot to be considered ABOVE the rest of the Eastern contenders. I think the parity argument is very valid. We'll know a lot more about Norwich over the next week when they face Plattsburgh Tuesday and then host UMass-Boston and Babson this weekend.

Oswego, Plattsburgh, Utica, Norwich, Babson, UMass-Boston, Amherst, Trinity, Bowdoin, Hobart, Neumann all seem to be forming a tight upper echelon in the East this year. It wouldn't shock me to see any of those 11 represent the East in the FF in Minny.
                  agree its been about 12 games for most teams,and really not a clear frontrunner for a top spot,and norwich will get a few good tests coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

With 4 and 5 loses already (3 ties for Utica and Naz each and 12 for the conference total), I'm not sure there will be enough seats at the dinner table for an ECAC West team unless someone can really run the table. Hobart has 2 HUGE road games coming up in Oswego and Geneseo. Toss in the last game of the first semester (loss to Trinity), they need to pick up at least 2 if not 3 points on the weekend. I don't foresee more than one ECAC West school being ranked with 3 of the 6 teams at .500 and no one above .690 winning % (average rank of 29th in winning %) already, so they won't be getting the "ECAC West Record vs Ranked Teams Help". So as far as someone from the ECAC West showing up in Minny, yes I'd be shocked. UMass-Boston took a decent hit on the chin losing to Conn College last night and can not afford to drop another one today with their already weak schedule. With the way the West has been winning, don't be shocked if we see a tighter split come NCAA in the West's favor. (as all the West fans yell 'Bout Time Eh!)

Norwich and Oswego are 2 great Eastern teams, but both very beatable. Babson lives and dies by Murray (just tied Plymouth State??), Bowdoin (maybe), Trin Trin (again maybe). Amherst is a system and were 90 seconds and 2" away from going 0-2 on the weekend. Plattsburgh needs a powerplay. I'd love to add some ECAC West teams in here, but I think they've dug themselves too deep of a hole and will probably continue to knock each other out one by one.
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I agree with Champs on this one...

Unless somebody really tears up the conference schedule and wins the tournament, I don't see how the W gets a bid.

Comment

I agree with Champs on this one...

Unless somebody really tears up the conference schedule and wins the tournament, I don't see how the W gets a bid.
                        Yep, you can't argue with "Facts"
                        Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                        Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                        Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

Doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be a W team that deserves a bid, on the basis of merit alone...

Comment

Doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be a W team that deserves a bid, on the basis of merit alone...
                            hard to get a pool c with 5 lossses, i guess it all comes down to who the committee ranks
                            http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Another strong effort tonight. UC got a bit too defensive after (finally) scoring -the D wouldn't pinch an inch to keep the puck in the zone then- but the forwards kept after it and sealed the deal. UC definitely deserved the win, although I'll allow that Fleming was stellar for M'ville and had no chance on either goal.

7-1-1 in their last 9. Not too shabby. Might well be too late to contend for a bid (in fact, it probably is too late) but it's good to see this team playing so well. Too bad they haven't had goaltending such as they've had lately all year long.

Still, the conference schedule is favorable in terms of venue down the stretch, and I haven't abandoned hope for a shot at the PS.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-17-2015, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Another strong effort tonight. UC got a bit too defensive after (finally) scoring -the D wouldn't pinch an inch to keep the puck in the zone then- but the forwards kept after it and sealed the deal. UC definitely deserved the win, although I'll allow that Fleming was stellar for M'ville and had no chance on either goal.

7-1-1 in their last 9. Not too shabby. Might well be too late to contend for a bid (in fact, it probably is too late) but it's good to see this team playing so well. Too bad they haven't had goaltending such as they've had lately all year long.

Still, the conference schedule is favorable in terms of venue down the stretch, and I haven't abandoned hope for a shot at the PS.
                                Yes, the Pios are rolling indeed. Wells confidence level is soaring, he made some incredible stops to keep the game scoreless before LaFosse beat Fleming the only way he could with a beautiful shot off the pipe. A ECAC-West title is not out of the question if this level of play continues. First goal should be getting a home playoff game.

Comment

Working...
                                X