Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College Pioneers 2014-2015: Bust. Let's try this again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utica College Pioneers 2014-2015: Bust. Let's try this again!

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    Remember Prof...that is where SU plays Bouncy Ball....It does qualify as inside.
    Good point there; a roof and a walled-in interior pretty-much define "inside" to most of us.

Comment

Re: tonight's game...

Three GA on the first nine NU shots, and four GA on the first sixteen..? UC's goal-tending isn't giving this team a chance.

I'm not saying that this group of 'tenders is reckless, irresponsible nor lazy. I don't think that of any of them. The guys make all of the routine saves, but lack the lateral movement to bail the team out of even the slightest defensive lapse. None of those guys ever buoy the team with with a great save or two, and it's very hard to win a hockey game without a great save or two, even if you dominate in a territorial sense all night long.

To give credit where it's due, Curley was terrific in net for NU (40 saves, many of the Grade-A variety) and the Luiten/Low line was extremely efficient, but this was just another game where Utica did everything aside from winning.

Gary will be shopping for a few new bodies at the break; I'm hopeful that he can land a quick/instinctual goalie. I don't see any of the current stable as ever being cut from that cloth.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-21-2014, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Good point there; a roof and a walled-in interior pretty-much define "inside" to most of us.
        How about a stadium with a retractable roof? What if the NHL played the Winter Classic or Stadium Series game at Sky Dome (or whatever its corporate name is now) in Toronto, and they closed the roof? Would that count as an "indoor" game? What if they opened the roof halfway through the game? Would that make it an indoor/outdoor game? I'm having fun picking nits here. The designation of indoor or outdoor is secondary to how many people are at the game regardless. Were the games at the old Hobart "Cooler" indoor or outdoor games before they put on the 4th wall?
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Re: tonight's game...

Three GA on the first nine NU shots, and four GA on the first sixteen..? UC's goal-tending isn't giving this team a chance.

I'm not saying that this group of 'tenders is reckless, irresponsible nor lazy. I don't think that of any of them. The guys make all of the routine saves, but lack the lateral movement to bail the team out of even the slightest defensive lapse. None of those guys ever buoy the team with with a great save or two, and it's very hard to win a hockey game without a great save or two, even if you dominate in a territorial sense all night long.

To give credit where it's due, Curley was terrific in net for NU (40 saves, many of the Grade-A variety) and the Luiten/Low line was extremely efficient, but this was just another game where Utica did everything aside from winning.

Gary will be shopping for a few new bodies at the break; I'm hopeful that he can land a quick/instinctual goalie. I don't see any of the current stable as ever being cut from that cloth.
          You nailed it. Down 3-1 after 2 despite up 28-9 in shots was hard to swallow. Very surprised Simic got the nod. Curley stood on his head. Multiple times heard comments "We need a goalie like that."

Today could get ugly. I'm guessing Taffe starts with Wells backing if the hook comes out.

Comment

I was happy to see how the Pioneers represented themselves today. They certainly were the better team, outside of the goal-tending. (Again.)

Taffe was not bad at all though, aside from confronting three attackers right off the bat, and actually assisting in a GA on himself. (That "third defence-man" BS drives me CRAZY.) The third OSU goal was the result of a lucky bounce, and the other two were just good goals.

I've only seen Utica play one bad period all year (the 3rd in the second Naz game) and the rest were all good in terms of passing, speed, hands and discipline. Today, more of the same. Had the bounces and the 'tending been equivalent, Utica would've won this one going away. The UC skaters remain a very fun group to watch.
            Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-22-2014, 11:22 PM.

Comment

I was happy to see how the Pioneers represented themselves today. They certainly were the better team, outside of the goal-tending. (Again.)

Taffe was not bad at all though, aside from confronting three attackers right off the bat, and actually assisting in a GA on himself. (That "third defence-man" BS drives me CRAZY.) The third OSU goal was the result of a lucky bounce, and the other two were just good goals.

I've only seen Utica play one bad period all year (the 3rd in the second Naz game) and the rest were all good in terms of passing, speed, hands and discipline. Today, more of the same. Had the bounces and the 'tending been equivalent, Utica would've won this one going away. The UC skaters remain a very fun group to watch.
              Seems like Utica is the better team quite often, despite the four losses!

Comment

game looked pretty even to me.....oswego also hit 2 posts in the 3rd ugh,these oz utica games are always good games it seems,no matter whats going on with either team,fiun to watch,and the refs let the boys play as well.

Comment

You should be happy to see how the Pioneers represented themselves, they deserved it. That said, a 20% advantage in SOG is offset with the need for a PPG to get a tie - they were up to the task but NOT "certainly were the better team" - I'd call it a TIE.

And I agree, The UC skaters remain a very fun group to watch.
                  Larry Normandin
                  SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                  WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by EC_SoaringEagle83 View Post
                    Seems like Utica is the better team quite often, despite the four losses!

Hey, I hear you, what I say sounds like excuse-making... But with any kind of goal-tending this team would have a respectable (or better) W/L right now.

Have to be content to be the best 4-loss team in the country, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                      You should be happy to see how the Pioneers represented themselves, they deserved it. That said, a 20% advantage in SOG is offset with the need for a PPG to get a tie - they were up to the task but NOT "certainly were the better team" - I'd call it a TIE.

And I agree, The UC skaters remain a very fun group to watch.
                      Reasonable minds can certainly differ on this point, but aside from when OSU's terrific 1st line was on the ice, UC carried the play, IMO. (And the vast majority of PP's Utica has enjoyed this season were pursuant to the other team trying to slow them down on a threatening rush. Nice to see my guys cashing-in those opportunities this season.)
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-25-2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

WTOP10 Frozen Dome broadcast will be replayed TODAY, Thanksgiving at 4pm and 7pm www.wtop10.com. Click on the live link on the homepage.
                        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Never mind....https://www.facebook.com/wtop10tv/po...53392798119698
                          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

An encouraging win vs. a pretty good Hamilton team. Good to see this series revived; it's a great local rivalry.

I'm feeling a little better about UC's 'tending. Wells looked competent (or better) tonight. He maybe had a tipped shot on the the first HC tally? (Hope so, 'cause he saw that coming from the top of the circle.) Then, he he suffered an own-goal, and the third one he surrendered was in no way or manner on him. I'd like to see Taffe start every game for Utica, but realistically, Gary needs two guys with significant minutes under their belts.

As a team, I like these guys more and more. The PK was beyond good, negating a major and a 1:45 of a 5x2 (counting most of it with a Utica man stickless).

I will boldly predict a smashing of the Camels tomorrow, and, possibly, a bit of a run to put them in the national-mix. I really think that's possible.

Comment

An encouraging win vs. a pretty good Hamilton team. Good to see this series revived; it's a great local rivalry.

I'm feeling a little better about UC's 'tending. Wells looked competent (or better) tonight. He maybe had a tipped shot on the the first HC tally? (Hope so, 'cause he saw that coming from the top of the circle.) Then, he he suffered an own-goal, and the third one he surrendered was in no way or manner on him. I'd like to see Taffe start every game for Utica, but realistically, Gary needs two guys with significant minutes under their belts.

As a team, I like these guys more and more. The PK was beyond good, negating a major and a 1:45 of a 5x2 (counting most of it with a Utica man stickless).

I will boldly predict a smashing of the Camels tomorrow, and, possibly, a bit of a run to put them in the national-mix. I really think that's possible.
                              Good call on the Camel bashing and although UC was outshot their shots were of far higher quality. I'm as die-hard as they come but I've already written this season off as experience gaining. Nice wins this weekend but the competition was not up to snuff of the W. Wells looked much better tonight except for his GA which if he stood up would have stopped. I think national-mix this year is a premature but I'll drink to the thought.
                              Last edited by jcase; 11-30-2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Should have qualified my remark. I have no illusions about this team contending for an NC, but I do believe that if the goal-tending remains as good as it's suddenly become, UC might garner a few votes in the national polls. (BTW, Wells has won the job for the nonce IMO.)

Not to sound starry-eyed, but this team's skaters continue to impress me. I like this crew far more than last year's group. The latter appeared loaded for bear but underachieved drastically; it's just the opposite this year, despite the mediocre W/L thus far which is largely on the early goal-tending.

The coming Trinity/Curry weekend should be telling. Really looking forward to it.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-30-2014, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X