Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 978

Thread: climate change times are a changin'

  1. #61
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,032
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
    and does anyone know why the name was changed from global warming to climate change. help me out here. I'm trying to learn.
    To combat the type of idiocy that dismisses climate change every time there's a few cold weeks in winter.

    And because the impacts are greater than just temperature: it impacts her streams, rainfall, etc.

  2. #62
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,219

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I don't think it's anywhere close to 60/40.
    http://www.friendsofscience.org/asse...ensus_Myth.pdf

    Doran & Zimmerman (2009) relied upon 79 self-selected earth scientists (qualifications unstated) who claimed to have published something on climate change recently [Figure 5].

    These were drawn from a field of 3,146 respondents, many of whom protested the style of questionnaire on grounds that it is inherently unscientific to ask an opinion question, with no scientific parameters, on an empirical topic. The actual survey numbers are broken down below. [Figure 6]
    The figures, found on page 7, breakdown like this:
    7,111 non-respondents to the survey
    3,069 ignored responses
    75 affirmed responses
    2 negative responses

    75/77 = 97%

    Total surveys submitted to field scientists, 10,257. 3,146 respondents to the survey yet only 75 of the 77 is the pool of response they cherry picked is creates that 97% figure people like to bandy about.

    The survey with the highest affirmation % of AGW by scientists in the field was a 66/34 split. My 60/40 wasn't so far off.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    7,843

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Bingo - free energy (once you pay for putting the panels in).
    It actually turns out that every energy source is free, so long as you ignore all of the costs.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

  4. #64
    Banned Foxton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gwinn
    Posts
    9,234

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    From their "about us" page.

    It is our opinion that the Sun is the main direct and indirect driver of climate change.
    **** your source.

  5. #65
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,395

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton View Post
    It's amazing how well you've illustrated your scientific illiteracy in a single line. Kudos


    Source pls.
    Illiteracy? Are you high?
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  6. #66
    International Spy
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    3,330

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    The fact the climate has regularly warmed and cooled doesn't invalidate the scientific evidence that man is negatively influencing the climate like at no other time in history. Why do draggers continue to roll with this line of defense?
    I think it absolutely does. How do you explain the Earth going in and out of an ice age with no humans around to impact the climate? If the Earth can warm and cool to that extreme without us around to negatively influencing the climate, how could we possibly make it any worse than that by driving, burning coal, or exhaling?


    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Who needs drastic action?

    I'd start with a simple elimination of the "derp, 'dem elite librul scientists R so stooped. I'll show them by burning extra gas and buying the biggest incandescent light bulbs I can find out of spite" demographic.

    We're not going to eliminate coal and oil for our energy needs anytime soon, nor should we until there is a viable option. But doing things like indexing the gas tax to inflation, funding railroads, funding alternative energy, and otherwise not acting like spiteful dumbasses for political reasons would be a sufficient start. I don't particularly like Al Gore either, but let's not forget the national parks were created by Teddy Roosevelt and the EPA was started by Richard Nixon. Instead of running from that past, I wish the modern day GOP would embrace it.
    So throwing money at technology will make this problem go away? We've been doing that. How much is enough? There has to be a better option. If there is a technology breakthrough that makes this more cost effective, all of this will change.


    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton View Post
    It's amazing how well you've illustrated your scientific illiteracy in a single line. Kudos
    What am I missing then? Please enlighten me. It seemed to me that many were missing a step and assuming climate change as gospel so thought I'd help by pointing that out.
    Last edited by Tiggsy; 05-20-2014 at 08:25 AM.

  7. #67
    Waiting In Vain
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Concrete Jungle
    Posts
    2,477

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggsy View Post
    What am I missing then? Please enlighten me.
    Foxton "Logic":
    You disagree. Therefore you are wrong. Therefore you are a ____________.(fill in blank based on discussion)
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

  8. #68
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,395

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    The fact that Foxton doesn't comprehend that in science, you start with a hypothesis, then develop a theory, based on that hypothesis, and if that theory proves true, due to applicable tests, the theory becomes fact (or law, as was stated earlier), is a bit alarming, and actually, very telling.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  9. #69
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    17,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggsy View Post
    So throwing money at technology will make this problem go away? We've been doing that. How much is enough? There has to be a better option. If there is a technology breakthrough that makes this more cost effective, all of this will change.
    I see. You aren't willing to concede even minor points like not wasting gas for the hell of it. You just want to argue.

  10. #70
    Priceless
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggsy View Post
    So throwing money at technology will make this problem go away?
    We shouldn't throw any money at the problem. We just need to teach our kids to tread water. Problem solved.

  11. #71
    International Spy
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    3,330

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    The fact that Foxton doesn't comprehend that in science, you start with a hypothesis, then develop a theory, based on that hypothesis, and if that theory proves true, due to applicable tests, the theory becomes fact (or law, as was stated earlier), is a bit alarming, and actually, very telling.
    And yet I'm somehow the science illiterate one. Strange.

  12. #72
    International Spy
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    3,330

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    We shouldn't throw any money at the problem. We just need to teach our kids to tread water. Problem solved.
    So you think we're going to be underwater in our kids' lifetime? Wow, talk about being an alarmist. How much longer do we have?


    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    I see. You aren't willing to concede even minor points like not wasting gas for the hell of it. You just want to argue.
    Please point out where you mentioned that. You were making broad statements about your plan. I was making broad statements in response.
    Last edited by Tiggsy; 05-20-2014 at 09:48 AM.

  13. #73
    Priceless
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggsy View Post
    So you think we're going to be underwater in our kids' lifetime? Wow, talk about being an alarmist. How much longer do we have?
    No, we have to jump start evolution. Hopefully by the time the oceans cover the eastern seaboard our descendants will have adapted gills. If we're still walking on two feet human beings won't have a chance.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    28,560

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    The Earth is too small to keep.all its eggs in one basket (or something like that).

    We need a genius to discover a better way to power a spaceship than using chemicals.

  15. #75
    lubba wubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    28,219

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    No, we have to jump start evolution. Hopefully by the time the oceans cover the eastern seaboard our descendants will have adapted gills. If we're still walking on two feet human beings won't have a chance.
    If the oceans increase 10', which is the biggest number I've heard or read on this topic, how far inland will that take the oceans from the current shorelines?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  16. #76
    International Spy
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    3,330

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    No, we have to jump start evolution. Hopefully by the time the oceans cover the eastern seaboard our descendants will have adapted gills. If we're still walking on two feet human beings won't have a chance.
    You're right. But it has nothing to do with walking. It has to do with the gills. If we stop exhaling CO2 from breathing with our lungs, we will save the world. So get on this and let us know how we can get it moving too.

    EDIT: Wait! If we develop gills, how long will it be until we have oceanic climate change from our gills diffusing CO2 into the water?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    If the oceans increase 10', which is the biggest number I've heard or read on this topic, how far inland will that take the oceans from the current shorelines?
    Doesn't matter since we're all doomed anyways.
    Last edited by Tiggsy; 05-20-2014 at 10:55 AM.

  17. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Edina, MN, USA
    Posts
    19,857

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggsy View Post
    You're right. But it has nothing to do with walking. It has to do with the gills. If we stop exhaling CO2 from breathing with our lungs, we will save the world. So get on this and let us know how we can get it moving too.

    EDIT: Wait! If we develop gills, how long will it be until we have oceanic climate change from our gills diffusing CO2 into the water?



    Doesn't matter since we're all doomed anyways.
    Pfft, the elevation around here is in the region of 600' above mean sea level. Priceless may need to learn to swim, but we're good.

  18. #78
    Banned Foxton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Gwinn
    Posts
    9,234

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggsy View Post
    And yet I'm somehow the science illiterate one. Strange.
    Because if you were scientifically literate, you would not be using those terms like that or agreeing with that dolt bigblue. A theory and law are two different things not stages to be taken on a path.

    A theory is an explanation for how and why that incorporates facts, laws, and testable hypothesis. And it will only be accepted as a theory if it conforms to those facts, laws, and the hypothesis that make it up. After a certain point, a theory becomes so strongly supported that new information that could have falsified it before is instead used to refine and make it more correct. It can never be proven, only falsified because nothing can be 100% tested for every possible circumstance.

    To quote Einstein, "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."

    While a law is a generalization that will be true with given circumstances. Like the 2nd law of thermodynamics, it's going to be true so long as it's in a closed system. Or Ohm's Law for an electrical circuit, which is one of the laws that make up electromagnetic theory. The key point is that they are only said to be true given specific conditions they are not universal.

  19. #79
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Back on the track & beatin' the flack
    Posts
    13,759

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    I see. You aren't willing to concede even minor points like not wasting gas for the hell of it. You just want to argue.
    That's been evident for a little while now. Conservatives tend to find comfort in being stupid or in denial, and hey that's cool. Climate change just doesn't get me going much, so I can't be bothered to get into a brawl over it. As long as we have an Admin that keeps raising fuel standards, expanding green energy, and burning cleaner fuel (gas instead of coal - BTW wasn't Clown supposed to post a link showing how natural gas is as dirty as coal).

    Now if I DID want to argue, I'd bring up that huskyfan bought into the Unskewed Polls guy hook, line, and sinker last year, as was SURE Romney was going to be elected President, and how her arguments here sound eerily familiar....but again, I don't want to argue.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  20. #80
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    31,395

    Re: climate change times are a changin'

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton View Post
    Because if you were scientifically literate, you would not be using those terms like that or agreeing with that dolt bigblue. A theory and law are two different things not stages to be taken on a path.

    A theory is an explanation for how and why that incorporates facts, laws, and testable hypothesis. And it will only be accepted as a theory if it conforms to those facts, laws, and the hypothesis that make it up. After a certain point, a theory becomes so strongly supported that new information that could have falsified it before is instead used to refine and make it more correct. It can never be proven, only falsified because nothing can be 100% tested for every possible circumstance.

    To quote Einstein, "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."

    While a law is a generalization that will be true with given circumstances. Like the 2nd law of thermodynamics, it's going to be true so long as it's in a closed system. Or Ohm's Law for an electrical circuit, which is one of the laws that make up electromagnetic theory. The key point is that they are only said to be true given specific conditions they are not universal.
    Maybe since you're so literate, you can read what we're talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •