X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: climate change times are a changin'

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    25% of Americans think the sun revolves around the earth. You will never achieve 100% agreement on anything, even proverbial "slam dunks."
    That's a horrible comparison. We're talking about climate researchers not being anywhere near approaching that 100% figure, not the ignorant hicks if they understand the fact of a heliocentric solar system.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
      Some things should require agreement because there is proof. Scientific law. Climate change is not scientific law so obviously it can and should be legitimately questioned like any scientific hypothesis to be proven/disproven.
      Evolution isn't either, but you're a dumbass if you don't believe that one. That's another "slam dunk."

97% of the people who have questioned it and tested it are in agreement. They only debate at this point is whether we have the political wherewithal to do anything about it. And we're going to fail that one miserably.

Comment

Evolution isn't either, but you're a dumbass if you don't believe that one. That's another "slam dunk."

97% of the people who have questioned it and tested it are in agreement. They only debate at this point is whether we have the political wherewithal to do anything about it. And we're going to fail that one miserably.
        No, 97% of the people who have question it agree that climate change is occurring. What they do not all agree upon -- and it's like a 60/40 split -- is whether or not man has made a significant difference to the climate one way or the other. That's the part of the survey that liberals never seem to bring up in some veiled attempt at creating a new mantra. I'll have to find the survey some time and link it. Or someone else can do it.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Hypothesis --> Theory --> Law.
          So you are correct about Evolution. Big Bang is another one. Gravity, Newton's Laws of motion are beyond debate. They are a scientific fact. So there will always be debate on theories. Clown is correct. Again I've already said this but climate is dynamic. It will always be changing, so how anyone can deny that is a good question.

So if you're so certain that the only debate is when we're going to do something, how long do we have before disaster strikes? 5 years, like was said maybe 10 years ago? 500 days like the guys from France just said so we can start counting down? 1000 years so it may not even be in the human race's lifetime? How long? We need to know if you expect some drastic action.

Comment

It's amazing how well you've illustrated your scientific illiteracy in a single line. Kudos

What they do not all agree upon -- and it's like a 60/40 split -- is whether or not man has made a significant difference to the climate one way or the other. That's the part of the survey that liberals never seem to bring up in some veiled attempt at creating a new mantra. I'll have to find the survey some time and link it. Or someone else can do it.
            Source pls.

Comment

There is a 97% agreement among scientists that climate change is real, and is man-made.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position
              One of the reasons there is so much confusion about this was touched on by John Oliver in that piece posted earlier. Debates are always 1-on-1, Not 97-on-3. If they were, there might be a little more agreement among the population. Right now it looks like it's Bill Nye against a bunch of different scientists. Far from it. The facts are that it is happening, man kind is making it happen faster and at some point we're either going to have to do something about it or grow gills.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                No, 97% of the people who have question it agree that climate change is occurring. What they do not all agree upon -- and it's like a 60/40 split..
                I don't think it's anywhere close to 60/40.

Comment

So you are correct about Evolution. Big Bang is another one. Gravity, Newton's Laws of motion are beyond debate. They are a scientific fact. So there will always be debate on theories. Clown is correct. Again I've already said this but climate is dynamic. It will always be changing, so how anyone can deny that is a good question.

So if you're so certain that the only debate is when we're going to do something, how long do we have before disaster strikes? 5 years, like was said maybe 10 years ago? 500 days like the guys from France just said so we can start counting down? 1000 years so it may not even be in the human race's lifetime? How long? We need to know if you expect some drastic action.
                  Who needs drastic action?

I'd start with a simple elimination of the "derp, 'dem elite librul scientists R so stooped. I'll show them by burning extra gas and buying the biggest incandescent light bulbs I can find out of spite" demographic.

We're not going to eliminate coal and oil for our energy needs anytime soon, nor should we until there is a viable option. But doing things like indexing the gas tax to inflation, funding railroads, funding alternative energy, and otherwise not acting like spiteful dumbasses for political reasons would be a sufficient start. I don't particularly like Al Gore either, but let's not forget the national parks were created by Teddy Roosevelt and the EPA was started by Richard Nixon. Instead of running from that past, I wish the modern day GOP would embrace it.

Comment

so no one knows why the climate has repeatedly warmed and cooled though out time? with and with out man around? d^mn! I'm going to have to do some googling, she said lazily.
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                      so no one knows why the climate has repeatedly warmed and cooled though out time? with and with out man around? d^mn! I'm going to have to do some googling, she said lazily.
                      The fact the climate has regularly warmed and cooled doesn't invalidate the scientific evidence that man is negatively influencing the climate like at no other time in history. Why do draggers continue to roll with this line of defense?

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                        Perhaps a better conundrum to consider.

Comment

in a quick scan of material google brought up, I couldn't find ONE SINGLE unbiased source. on either side. and the 97% of scientist agree is a myth.
                          Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Let's assume that somehow the entire scientific community has been hoodwinked. Human beings aren't the cause of climate change. It is occurring 100% naturally. It's still happening. The oceans are still rising. Average temperatures are rising significantly - particularly at the poles. Wouldn't it behoove us to try to slow that climate change as much as possible before Florida goes the way of Atlantis and sinks into the ocean? Or should the huge urban centers on the coasts just up and move?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              Let's assume that somehow the entire scientific community has been hoodwinked. Human beings aren't the cause of climate change. It is occurring 100% naturally. It's still happening. The oceans are still rising. Average temperatures are rising significantly - particularly at the poles. Wouldn't it behoove us to try to slow that climate change as much as possible before Florida goes the way of Atlantis and sinks into the ocean? Or should the huge urban centers on the coasts just up and move?
                              Florida like Atlantis? I knew there was good in global warming. and I will be able to grow decent tomatoes!
                              Boosh Factor 4

Comment

and does anyone know why the name was changed from global warming to climate change. help me out here. I'm trying to learn.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Working...
                                X