This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    and does anyone know why the name was changed from global warming to climate change. help me out here. I'm trying to learn.
    To combat the type of idiocy that dismisses climate change every time there's a few cold weeks in winter.

And because the impacts are greater than just temperature: it impacts her streams, rainfall, etc.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Re: climate change times are a changin'

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      I don't think it's anywhere close to 60/40.
      http://www.friendsofscience.org/asse...ensus_Myth.pdf

Doran & Zimmerman (2009) relied upon 79 self-selected earth scientists (qualifications unstated) who claimed to have published something on climate change recently [Figure 5].

These were drawn from a field of 3,146 respondents, many of whom protested the style of questionnaire on grounds that it is inherently unscientific to ask an opinion question, with no scientific parameters, on an empirical topic. The actual survey numbers are broken down below. [Figure 6]
      The figures, found on page 7, breakdown like this:
      7,111 non-respondents to the survey
      3,069 ignored responses
      75 affirmed responses
      2 negative responses

75/77 = 97%

Total surveys submitted to field scientists, 10,257. 3,146 respondents to the survey yet only 75 of the 77 is the pool of response they cherry picked is creates that 97% figure people like to bandy about.

The survey with the highest affirmation % of AGW by scientists in the field was a 66/34 split. My 60/40 wasn't so far off.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        Bingo - free energy (once you pay for putting the panels in).
        It actually turns out that every energy source is free, so long as you ignore all of the costs.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

From their "about us" page.

It is our opinion that the Sun is the main direct and indirect driver of climate change.
          **** your source.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
            It's amazing how well you've illustrated your scientific illiteracy in a single line. Kudos

Source pls.
            Illiteracy? Are you high?
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              The fact the climate has regularly warmed and cooled doesn't invalidate the scientific evidence that man is negatively influencing the climate like at no other time in history. Why do draggers continue to roll with this line of defense?
              I think it absolutely does. How do you explain the Earth going in and out of an ice age with no humans around to impact the climate? If the Earth can warm and cool to that extreme without us around to negatively influencing the climate, how could we possibly make it any worse than that by driving, burning coal, or exhaling?

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Who needs drastic action?

I'd start with a simple elimination of the "derp, 'dem elite librul scientists R so stooped. I'll show them by burning extra gas and buying the biggest incandescent light bulbs I can find out of spite" demographic.

We're not going to eliminate coal and oil for our energy needs anytime soon, nor should we until there is a viable option. But doing things like indexing the gas tax to inflation, funding railroads, funding alternative energy, and otherwise not acting like spiteful dumbasses for political reasons would be a sufficient start. I don't particularly like Al Gore either, but let's not forget the national parks were created by Teddy Roosevelt and the EPA was started by Richard Nixon. Instead of running from that past, I wish the modern day GOP would embrace it.
              So throwing money at technology will make this problem go away? We've been doing that. How much is enough? There has to be a better option. If there is a technology breakthrough that makes this more cost effective, all of this will change.

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
              It's amazing how well you've illustrated your scientific illiteracy in a single line. Kudos
              What am I missing then? Please enlighten me. It seemed to me that many were missing a step and assuming climate change as gospel so thought I'd help by pointing that out.
              Last edited by Tiggsy; 05-20-2014, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                What am I missing then? Please enlighten me.
                Foxton "Logic":
                You disagree. Therefore you are wrong. Therefore you are a ____________.(fill in blank based on discussion)
                "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                Groucho Marx
                "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                Ron White
                "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                Milo Bloom

Comment

The fact that Foxton doesn't comprehend that in science, you start with a hypothesis, then develop a theory, based on that hypothesis, and if that theory proves true, due to applicable tests, the theory becomes fact (or law, as was stated earlier), is a bit alarming, and actually, very telling.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

So throwing money at technology will make this problem go away? We've been doing that. How much is enough? There has to be a better option. If there is a technology breakthrough that makes this more cost effective, all of this will change.
                    I see. You aren't willing to concede even minor points like not wasting gas for the hell of it. You just want to argue.

Comment

So throwing money at technology will make this problem go away?
                      We shouldn't throw any money at the problem. We just need to teach our kids to tread water. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        The fact that Foxton doesn't comprehend that in science, you start with a hypothesis, then develop a theory, based on that hypothesis, and if that theory proves true, due to applicable tests, the theory becomes fact (or law, as was stated earlier), is a bit alarming, and actually, very telling.
                        And yet I'm somehow the science illiterate one. Strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          We shouldn't throw any money at the problem. We just need to teach our kids to tread water. Problem solved.
                          So you think we're going to be underwater in our kids' lifetime? Wow, talk about being an alarmist. How much longer do we have?

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          I see. You aren't willing to concede even minor points like not wasting gas for the hell of it. You just want to argue.
                          Please point out where you mentioned that. You were making broad statements about your plan. I was making broad statements in response.
                          Last edited by Tiggsy; 05-20-2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

So you think we're going to be underwater in our kids' lifetime? Wow, talk about being an alarmist. How much longer do we have?
                            No, we have to jump start evolution. Hopefully by the time the oceans cover the eastern seaboard our descendants will have adapted gills. If we're still walking on two feet human beings won't have a chance.

Comment

The Earth is too small to keep.all its eggs in one basket (or something like that).

We need a genius to discover a better way to power a spaceship than using chemicals.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                No, we have to jump start evolution. Hopefully by the time the oceans cover the eastern seaboard our descendants will have adapted gills. If we're still walking on two feet human beings won't have a chance.
                                If the oceans increase 10', which is the biggest number I've heard or read on this topic, how far inland will that take the oceans from the current shorelines?
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X