Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BC Women's Hockey '14-'15: #SOAR

Originally posted by Cali View Post
    The coaches are the ones that make their own schedules up so, to a certain extent, they do have control when these National events occur. The schedules are usually done in the off-season and the National team dates are all well known in advance.

I realize that not every National team event date can be blocked off by team coaches but realistically, only 10-15 NCAA teams (just a guess) are impacted by these National team events so to facilitate co-ordination beyond date sharing would not make sense. Just my opinion.
    To a degree that is true, but as TTT can attest, BC women's hockey is at the bottom of priorities when it comes to scheduling events at home. (remember, they are an ACC school in all their other sports.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Hux View Post
      To a degree that is true, but as TTT can attest, BC women's hockey is at the bottom of priorities when it comes to scheduling events at home. (remember, they are an ACC school in all their other sports.)
      I think scheduling priority generally goes:

1) Football (arena and football stadium are connected)
      2) Men's hoops
      3) Women's hoops
      4) Men's hockey
      5) Volleyball
      6) Men's club hockey
      7) Women's hockey

When Hockey East held the tournament at the #1 seed we were always told that if BC was the 1 seed we would have to turn down the opportunity to host due to scheduling conflicts. Fortunately (unfortunately) we never had that problem come up.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
        I realize that not every National team event date can be blocked off by team coaches but realistically, only 10-15 NCAA teams (just a guess) are impacted by these National team events so to facilitate co-ordination beyond date sharing would not make sense. Just my opinion.
        The problem is that there are getting to be more and more of these dates, and the coaches can't plan around all of them. Hockey Canada has a camp at the end of September. That could easily be moved up a week or two, and it wouldn't impact anything. Four Nations used to be one week and one weekend. Now it is two weekends. Holiday camps, Meco Cup or MLP Cup or whatever it is these days, and U-18 all happen in January. Each time these players are removed, they aren't only missing games, they are missing practice. Then we add this into the selection criteria where a handful of games make a huge difference of where teams rank relative to each other. Back in 2010, Cornell was missing three of its best players for a week in January and lost three games, and because of that, it entered the tournament as the fifth team into the field before it made it to the title game. In another year, these absences could cost a team a spot in the NCAA field, either directly or indirectly. It isn't fair that we view common opponents as being equal, when a team can have four, five, six players missing for games against one opponent and be at full strength for another. Injuries can and do cause similar problems, but that can't be controlled. This could be.

I've seen it impact the Frozen Four with players being plucked off rosters, and I don't ever want to see that happen again.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I've voiced my opposition to all of these interruptions in the past, so I won't repeat all my reasoning here. But I do think that if the trend is to reverse itself it will probably require a good number of college coaches to get together and express their sentiments to the folks at USA/Canada Hockey to at least better coordinate the various national tournaments and camps with the college schedules. I would like to see several coaches take a leadership role in seeing this through. When you consider all the time that's available prior to the season, during the Holiday break and post-season you wouldn't think this would be too difficult to accomplish.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Royale with Cheese View Post
            These players are getting scholarships that when room and board are factored in are worth from 40 to 80 K a year (this is the most any of these players will ever make playing the sport) in a non revenue generating sport. Dont kid yourself that the schools or the other players dont care, they want to win college games. What are they going to do tell the top 30 players in the world you cant go, and those players cant refuse or they will never play in the Olympics. It just seems like USA Hockey, Hockey Canada, and the IIHF operate as if the NCAA doesn't exist or that the NCAA is a non important partner. Think of how much better it could be if they actually worked together. Maybe if the NCAA shut down for a few weeks to accommodate international teams, or if the timing and purpose of the camps actually was set to make those players better prepared/condition for the D1 games, or if the IIHF worked with the NCAA and sent the top D1 teams for games outside of the US to grow the game.

Womens hockey is just not that big of a business that all the parties cant find mutually beneficial ways to operate and strengthen the sport. What they are doing now is just kind ridiculous.

Sorry for hijacking the BC thread.
            I can only speak for one school in regard to the coaches. They are 100% behind any girl leaving for USA Hockey...and they'll tell you too. They new the girls would be missing games for the USA tournaments. They still scheduled games knowing they were going to be short players. It helps a program out more in the long run when kids play in these USA games. It surely helps the recruiting process. If a team has a problem with their kids leaving they won't schedule games during that time...like most did for 4 Nations. If a team doesn't have a problem they play through it with the kids they have left.

The schools that do care about girls leaving to play do have an option...don't recruit the better players...because they may miss 3-4 games a year for USA Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
              I can only speak for one school in regard to the coaches. They are 100% behind any girl leaving for USA Hockey...and they'll tell you too.
              All the schools feel that way, and nobody is saying that when the national team calls, the players should refuse the invite. What I'm saying is why can't the players have both? Why do they have to miss college games? These international events are held at such arbitrary times. Do you want your daughter to ever be put in the position of having to play in either the World Championships or the Frozen Four, but participating in one rules out the other? Kids have been put in that dilemma before, I don't want anything like that to occur again.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
                I can only speak for one school in regard to the coaches. They are 100% behind any girl leaving for USA Hockey...and they'll tell you too. They new the girls would be missing games for the USA tournaments. They still scheduled games knowing they were going to be short players. It helps a program out more in the long run when kids play in these USA games. It surely helps the recruiting process. If a team has a problem with their kids leaving they won't schedule games during that time...like most did for 4 Nations. If a team doesn't have a problem they play through it with the kids they have left.

The schools that do care about girls leaving to play do have an option...don't recruit the better players...because they may miss 3-4 games a year for USA Hockey.
                Its a BC thread so I guess a myopic view should be expected. I just think a better way to run the international and NCAA womens hockey season wouldn't be that hard to implement for either side. Right now I don't think the relationship benefits either or does everything it could to grow the game.

Comment

Its a BC thread so I guess a myopic view should be expected. I just think a better way to run the international and NCAA womens hockey season wouldn't be that hard to implement for either side. Right now I don't think the relationship benefits either or does everything it could to grow the game.
                  Myopic? I can't speak for any other coaches...only the ones I've talked to about it. I misunderstood who I was responding to. You must know all the other coaches and how they feel.
                  but if you want me to I'll ask some other coaches and report back to you so you can feel better about your argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by Royale with Cheese View Post
                    Something to remember: the IIHF schedules events when the majority of post-secondary institutions are on break...this includes those across the pond.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                      Something to remember: the IIHF schedules events when the majority of post-secondary institutions are on break...this includes those across the pond.
                      Understood, but they don't have any issue with moving to spring in an Olympic year.

Comment

Another nice link, about Anastos / McLean / Keller / Sullivan with a side order of Stack, though the guy's writing style takes a bit of getting used to: http://alongtheboards.com/2014/11/bo...ybaked-flavor/

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
                          the guy's writing style takes a bit of getting used to
                          Oh my God...

Comment

Understood, but they don't have any issue with moving to spring in an Olympic year.
                            That is actually the doing of the NGBs, who are in full Olympic prep mode in early January.

Comment

Goal GIFs and recap for BC's win over Dartmouth

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...outh-big-green

Don't hurt me, Teddy...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                Goal GIFs and recap for BC's win over Dartmouth

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...outh-big-green

Don't hurt me, Teddy...
                                c'mon. I have thicker skin than that. it was a bad rebound that hit her thigh pad. even she said she should have stopped it.

Comment

Working...
                                X