This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2014-2015

Last season the top 9 forwards all contributed and I agree that same thing needs to happen again this year.. Typically though Coach Johnson rarely plays the 4th line much.. maybe a shift here or there but, he hardly ever rolls all four lines. I can't imagine that will change at all this season. The top 2 lines though young, have quite a bit of experience with the junios having gone to the Frozen Four in back to back years. Last years freshman forwards (now sophomores) -- Pankowski, Wellhausen, and Clark got loads of experience as the playoff portion of the season began, and when they played together they may have been the teams best line at the end of the year. Sarah Nurse could have a breakout season as well this year. She and McKibbon have great chemistry and should build on the success they had last season. We will see if either of the incoming freshman forwards will step up as well as last years did. The interesting thing to me will be the third line. Last season the team had pretty good production from this group -- no matter which of the top 9 forwards were on it. They will need to get at least some production from who ever skates there this year. The top 4 on defense should be VERY good and I'm excited to see what Gardner will do. Desbien will be a rock once again in net. It should be an exciting season!

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
    Yeah, I would be very surprised if Burke isn't the captain. It'll be more interesting to see who gets the assistants. There are four other seniors, but none of them project above the third line. Sarah Nurse could have a breakout season as well this year

As far as the projected lines, it's an intriguing mix of talent and experience. They will need to get some production out of the 3rd and 4th lines.

One thing I really like about the women's program is that they pretty much reload instead of having to endure rebuilding seasons.
    Last edited by rangersrule; 06-16-2015, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
      Haven't heard anything yet on captains, although one has to assume that Courtney Burke would have to be the favorite to wear the "C".. She is the one incoming senior that has been a big time player for the team since her freshman season.. I suppose another thread should be started for the 2015-2016 season but, here is what I think the lineup could look like:

Line #1: Nurse / McKibbon / Cogan
      Line # 2: Wellhausen / Clark / Pankowski
      Line #3: Johnson / Sowchuck / Shaver
      Line # 4: Jones / Harding / Doner

D #1: Burke / Rolfes
      D#2: Channell / Ryan
      D#3: Gardner / Williams or Drake

Goal: Desbien
      I kinda cringe at the 3rd and 4th lines. I hate to say it, but the baby Badger line may have to get broken up for the sake of scoring depth. Maybe flip Shaver and Pankowski. Pankowski would make the two that play with her all the better. If that doesn't happen UW is just a 2 line team. UW had 3 great lines last year and could not get the job done. There's not a lot of hope that only having 2 great lines will accomplish the ultimate goals (winning the wcha regular season title and ncaa title). I see them as a bubble team right now.

What has to happen to not be a bubble team and an honest contender and not pretender? Nurse and Clark need 40 pt years, Pankowski needs a 70 pt year, Wellenhausen needs 30 and Cogan or Shaver need to be ROTY. That's a lot of stepping up to do.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I kinda cringe at the 3rd and 4th lines. I hate to say it, but the baby Badger line may have to get broken up for the sake of scoring depth. Maybe flip Shaver and Pankowski. Pankowski would make the two that play with her all the better. If that doesn't happen UW is just a 2 line team. UW had 3 great lines last year and could not get the job done. There's not a lot of hope that only having 2 great lines will accomplish the ultimate goals (winning the wcha regular season title and ncaa title). I see them as a bubble team right now.

What has to happen to not be a bubble team and an honest contender and not pretender? Nurse and Clark need 40 pt years, Pankowski needs a 70 pt year, Wellenhausen needs 30 and Cogan or Shaver need to be ROTY. That's a lot of stepping up to do.
        Certainly understand the concern whether this year will be a national contending team or not. My optimism stems from the fact that the Badgers are set in goal and on defense. The top two lines should produce and they should be very good on special teams.

The x-factor is how good the freshmen & senior forwards will end up being. There is a lot of playing time at stake and would hope that competition would get the best out of those players. They will probably roll 4 lines anyway against some of the lower teams, but the 4th line does not see much action at all against the top teams.

I would like to think they are legit, but Badger fans know all too well that there is not much margin of error in conference (and in tournament games) with Minnesota.

Comment

I see them as a bubble team right now.
          An NCAA tournament bubble team?

Really?
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

Really?
            Absolutely, they are on the bubble, in the final 4 but might not make it to the final game.

Comment

Really?
              I'm just being a realist, but I am saying this without knowing specifically who is coming back from other the other teams. It's just based on the fact that next year's team will weaker than last year's.

Comment

I'm just being a realist, but I am saying this without knowing specifically who is coming back from other the other teams. It's just based on the fact that next year's team will weaker than last year's.
                IMO, Wisconsin has been a top-three team the last two years and I think the Badgers will be again in March.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'm just being a realist.....
                  In golf you would be called a sandbagger!
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Listen I'm no fan of Bucky but there is no way Wisco misses the tournament.

Comment

Listen I'm no fan of Bucky but there is no way Wisco misses the tournament.
                      is that a Brooky Bold Prediction?

IOW, you are absolutely positively as sure as the sun coming up tomorrow

then it doesn't

Comment

It will be fascinating to see Vetter and Knight strap it up against the men tonight. I hope they play a little tighter game this year, apparently there is some sort of wager riding on the game results that might motivate people to play a little harder. There are still tickets available, but not many.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          It will be fascinating to see Vetter and Knight strap it up against the men tonight. I hope they play a little tighter game this year, apparently there is some sort of wager riding on the game results that might motivate people to play a little harder. There are still tickets available, but not many.
                          Eh? What's this?

Comment

Eh? What's this?
                            There's a charity hockey game tonight @ the LaBahn area, the Blake Geoffrion Hockey Classic, benefiting the UW Burn Center. It's an UW alumni game and this year Vetter and Knight are playing. Joe Pavelski and Derrick Stepan are the captains. Brian Elliott is Pav's goalie and Vetter is D Step's. Tickets are still available, catch a flight out and watch. I'll even out you up for the night so you can fly back Saturday. You just can't wear anything BC related in the house.

It's going to feel weird wearing a Ranger's jersey into LaBahn and not a UW one.

Comment

Man... There is a BC/BU charity men's game at Walter Brown in July, I really wish Stack and Poulin were involved. I already suggested it. Lol

Comment

Man... There is a BC/BU charity men's game at Walter Brown in July, I really wish Stack and Poulin were involved. I already suggested it. Lol
                                Stack & Poulin have already been heavily involved in charity games

it's called the CWHL

Comment

Working...
                                X