This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

The Michigan affirmative action case came down today. Ultimately, the law is upheld 6-2 with Kagan recused. But the 6 yes votes resulted in four opinions, none of which gathered more than 3 votes.

Re: The Power of SCOTUS V: The Final Frontier

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    The Michigan affirmative action case came down today. Ultimately, the law is upheld 6-2 with Kagan recused. But the 6 yes votes resulted in four opinions, none of which gathered more than 3 votes.
    I can live with this. I'd rather colleges make sure they properly address the economic background of students as opposed to dealing with essentually the same issue (opportunity) from a color-of-your-skin perspective. Mind you, someone (the gubmint?) needs to be vigilant in tracking that there's not a huge drop off in minority enrollments overall on college campuses.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Subscribed because the software patent issue could be the single most fascinating and important case(s) in the last twenty years when it comes to technology.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

And in other opinions, the court effectively turned an anonymous tip into probable cause if it's delivered via 9-1-1, or at least, that's my surface impression of the coverage of it. Can anyone who's read the opinion tell me that this doesn't effectively give the court's imprimatur to the DEA/NSA/etc. sanitizing illegally-obtained evidence by turning it into an anonymous tip? 'Cause that's what I immediately thought of when I read the facts of the case.
        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
          And in other opinions, the court effectively turned an anonymous tip into probable cause if it's delivered via 9-1-1, or at least, that's my surface impression of the coverage of it. Can anyone who's read the opinion tell me that this doesn't effectively give the court's imprimatur to the DEA/NSA/etc. sanitizing illegally-obtained evidence by turning it into an anonymous tip? 'Cause that's what I immediately thought of when I read the facts of the case.
          Yeah, here's my question:

If the tip proves to be false, does that mean any evidence would be inadmissible?
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Wow. The dissent to this case is one of the most flippant I have ever read.

An excerpt:

The Court says, ante, at 5, that "[b]y reporting that she had been run off the road by a specific vehicle . . . the caller necessarily claimed eyewitness knowledge." So what? The issue is not how she claimed to know, but whether what she claimed to know was true. The claim to "eyewitness knowledge" of being run off the road supports not at all its veracity; nor does the amazing, mystifying prediction (so far short of what existed in White) that the petitioners' truck would be heading south on Highway 1.
            Edit: Actually, the dissent is so compelling, I can't believe that five justices went the other way. Jeebus.
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 04-23-2014, 11:01 AM.
            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Edit: Actually, the dissent is so compelling, I can't believe that five justices went the other way. Jeebus.
              That was exactly my thought.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Any time you see one of the hard-liners (right or left) side with the other side, you know there's a good read and probably a very compelling argument.
                Code:

Comment

It was even weirder that all 8 Justices agreed that affirmative action indeed was discriminatory.

Sotomayor's opinion (well, the parts of it that I read....) was a bit disappointing: "even though affirmative action is 'discriminatory', that's okay anyway because...."

The saddest part of this entire conversation is that there indeed is an effective alternate way to address the goals of "affirmative action" in a non-discriminatory way.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    It was even weirder that all 8 Justices agreed that affirmative action indeed was discriminatory.

Sotomayor's opinion (well, the parts of it that I read....) was a bit disappointing: "even though affirmative action is 'discriminatory', that's okay anyway because...."

The saddest part of this entire conversation is that there indeed is an effective alternate way to address the goals of "affirmative action" in a non-discriminatory way.
                    Yeah, but according to her, you're white (I presume, just playing the odds) so you don't get to have an opinion on this. WAAAARRRRGARBL.
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

All 8 justices said affirmative action is constitutional as well. Kennedy went out of his way to make sure everyone knew this case did not challenge that fact in his plurality opinion, as did Breyer in his concurrence. Funny how you ignored that part...
                      Last edited by unofan; 04-23-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Any time you see one of the hard-liners (right or left) side with the other side, you know there's a good read and probably a very compelling argument.
                        Scalia and Breyer usually flip on criminal cases. I understand why Scalia does, I've never understood why Breyer does.

Alito is the biggest cop *** kisser on the bench. I still have yet to see him side with a criminal defendant. There have been a few 8-1 decisions with him as the lone dissenter in criminal cases.

Comment

All 8 justices said affirmative action is constitutional as well. Funny how you ignored that part...
                          I thought they actually said that they weren't considering the constitutionality of affirmative action, just the constitutionality of the state ban on it.
                          Code:

Comment

I thought they actually said that they weren't considering the constitutionality of affirmative action, just the constitutionality of the state ban on it.
                            They did. By doing so, they implicitly acknowledged its constitutionality by precedent. They would not get that specific about what they're not talking about if they didn't wish to make sure prior precedent was still good without question.

Comment

They did. By doing so, they implicitly acknowledged its constitutionality by precedent. They would not get that specific about what they're not talking about if they didn't wish to make sure prior precedent was still good without question.
                              I guess I disagree. They specifically tiptoed around that concept because they didn't want to rule on that. Only the case on hand. Either way though, it will come up again.
                              Code:

Comment

Working...
                              X