Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSSU Lakers 2014 off-season thread (part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014 off-season thread (part 2)

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
    Lake State has a had a talented enough roster to compete with any program in the nation for the better part of a decade now. Lack of financial resources did not negate the ability of Roque and company from assembling some pretty darn good teams...the only thing that Laker Hockey was missing was not money or limited budgets but proper coaching. Hopefully this has now been rectified.
    Is it possible that Roque and staff took these players and developed them into better players? Northern and Ferris have advanced players to the NHL and to other higher levels. Bowling Green has to. So has Fairbanks. Every team has a couple decent prospects on their top two lines and in their top three or four D. To say that LSSU has had enough talent to compete with anyone in the country is far from accurate. Is the name of the head coach the only real difference between Minnesota and LSSU? Or Michigan or Boston College? Or Notre Dame?
    Last edited by RapidsCity; 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post

He came back to take the job so that shows he probably wasn't super close with Jim Roque.
      So then Damon Whitten probably wasn't close with Dave Shyiak because he applied at Anchorage? I don't see how Metro's return reflects in any way upon his relationship with Roque. Plenty of assistants take over for Head coaches who hired them in all sports. Plenty stay on as assistants with the next coach. Whitten must not have been close with Jamie Russell since he stayed on with Mel Pearson at Tech right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        Actually, Jim Roque was the primary recruiter of Ravn.
        You are wrong, Bill. Ravn was exclusively Metro's recruit.
        http://livingwithinsects.files.wordp.../midge-001.png

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
          Domenic Monardo, Kyle Jean, Kellan Lain, Colin Campbell, Zach Trotman, Kevin Czuczman, Buddy Robinson. All were either top notch scorers or have went on to play high level professional hockey, some even in the NHL. With the notable exceptions of Rick Schofield and Will Acton, the previously mentioned names make up the run of the most talented group of players to put on a Laker sweater in well over a decade and all were recruited/committed to LSSU while Metro was an assistant. He may not have personally recruited all of them but he would definitely have been in the know enough to be aware of what worked to get those guys to the Soo, which is a positive.

In a perfect world would he have been my first choice? No, but as anyone who has ever been to the Soo knows, this is not a perfect world, and the reality is that LSSU's budget minimizes the pool of candidates greatly. With that in mind, I think we could do a lot worse than Metro. This is a man whose first year on the Laker staff was as a volunteer so he obviously was motivated to get some skin in the game and I think that says alot. He left to coach pro in France and had a poor record but in my opinion that is quite insignificant, since the duties of a head pro hockey coach in France and a D1 assistant in NCAA hockey are completely different. He came back to take the job so that shows he probably wasn't super close with Jim Roque, also he has been here before, knows the program and the people that surround it so he will be able to give Whitten the 411 and a road map to navigate the personalities that involve themselves with Laker hockey, which will be extremely valuable when it comes to the behind the scenes goings on. There's an awful lot to being a coach that doesn't involve being behind the bench and knowing who you can trust, who will get things done, etc. and that is very important, not only for a rookie head coach but especially when it comes to the small town nature and politics of LSSU and Sault Ste. Marie, which we all know exists in spades. Pair that with his aforementioned experience of being on staff when "the gettin" was good" with regards to recruiting and I think Metro could be a very positive contributor to the staff and could turn out to be a worthy hire.
          Roque recruited Lain, Czuczman, Monardo and Robinson exclusively. Metro had a hand in Campbell. Jean was already committed when Metro was a student at LSSU finishing his degree. Metro actually had very little recruiting responsibility in his previous stint as an assistant. He is, however solely responsible for Ravn, as it was the French connection.

As for how close Metro is with Roque, well, I saw them on the golf course together several times last summer. Metro needed a job, as his team in France folded.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
            Did Metro tear up the league in France he was coach of ?
            According to their website, they never advanced to the playoffs in Metro's 3 years there. So, the answer is no.
            Last edited by michiganmidge; 06-12-2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Any word on when season tickets go on sale? I'm thinking about getting them. Also any rumors on who the other assistant coach might be?
              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post

Did Metro tear up the league in France he was coach of ?
                During his three seasons in France, the Bears improved from 13th to 10th to seventh place in the league standings.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganmidge View Post
                  Roque recruited Lain, Czuczman, Monardo and Robinson exclusively. Metro had a hand in Campbell. Jean was already committed when Metro was a student at LSSU finishing his degree. Metro actually had very little recruiting responsibility in his previous stint as an assistant. He is, however solely responsible for Ravn, as it was the French connection.

As for how close Metro is with Roque, well, I saw them on the golf course together several times last summer. Metro needed a job, as his team in France folded.
                  Kevin Czuczman mentioned during senior night that he came to LSSU because of Rich Metro.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox View Post
                    Kevin Czuczman mentioned during senior night that he came to LSSU because of Rich Metro.
                    He may have thanked all his coaches - including his Junior coaches - at the banquet, hence bringing up Metro's name, but it is still fact that Roque recruited Czuczman.

Comment

Wow! You have some real inside info on the recruiting processes. How do you know this? Did you get it from Roque? Metro? Christian? LaPrade?

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                        Wow! You have some real inside info on the recruiting processes. How do you know this? Did you get it from Roque? Metro? Christian? LaPrade?
                        Have followed Laker hockey for 30+ years. Bill isn't the only one on here who knows stuff. My ear is constantly to the ground!

Comment

You are wrong, Bill. Ravn was exclusively Metro's recruit.
                          Roque was primarily responsible for recruiting Ravn. He went to see Ravn play in Ottawa early in the recruiting process and liked him. Roque then had Metro talk to Ravn also for the French connection end of it to help close the deal, but it was Roque who played the major role in recruiting Ravn, not Metro.

Comment

Roque was primarily responsible for recruiting Ravn. He went to see Ravn play in Ottawa early in the recruiting process and liked him. Roque then had Metro talk to Ravn also for the French connection end of it to help close the deal, but it was Roque who played the major role in recruiting Ravn, not Metro.
                            I don't know WHO you're getting your info from, but this is totally untrue.

Comment

I don't know WHO you're getting your info from, but this is totally untrue.
                              I heard Ravn himself say so. I think it was either on one of the Laker Hockey Shows or perhaps between periods of one of the games during a recorded interview with Bill Crawford. I don't remember which; it was a few years ago. In addition to that, when I was up for the Parents Weekend series against Robert Morris last Fall, I met both Ravn's and Kapalka's fathers and sat with them during one of the games, and Ravn's father told me the same thing. I don't recall if Ravn mentioned Metro's involvement, but I absolutely remember him saying he talked to Roque after one of his Junior games that Roque attended. His dad did tell me that Metro talked to them, but that Roque was still the primary guy in the recruitment process and had seen Ravn play in Juniors.
                              Last edited by Bill; 06-12-2014, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I heard Ravn himself say so. I think it was either on one of the Laker Hockey Shows or perhaps between periods of one of the games during a recorded interview with Bill Crawford. I don't remember which; it was a few years ago. In addition to that, when I was up for the Parents Weekend series against Robert Morris last Fall, I met both Ravn's and Kapalka's fathers and sat with them during one of the games, and Ravn's father told me the same thing. I don't recall if Ravn mentioned Metro's involvement, but I absolutely remember him saying he talked to Roque after one of his Junior games that Roque attended. His dad did tell me that Metro talked to them, but that Roque was still the primary guy in the recruitment process and had seen Ravn play in Juniors.
                                Bill, old age is getting to you! You're getting your details all screwed up. Ravn said on the radio show that Metro recruited him. How you can misconstrue the details like that is beyond me? You're stating exactly the opposite of what Ravn actually said. You need to listen better! As for Ravn Sr., I wouldn't believe half of what comes out of his mouth, as he is a disgruntled parent, and a little 'off' if you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                                X