X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    How did we remove the screwworm? It's been eradicated on the Western Hemisphere to the best of my knowledge.

People! Grow up!
    I am so **** sick of not being able to walk to my mailbox in the summer without getting 4 or 5 mosquito bites. Anything to bring the ******** down a peg or 2 is A-OK in my book.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Best. Idea. EVER!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...keys/22341491/

Release them in my backyard!
      No no no!!! lets cause pain and suffering for 100,000 of people rather than let a *gasp* GMO modified mosquito out there.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Big NBC scandal about Brian Williams breaking this morning.

basically, he and NBC had a story from 2003 about him being in a Chinook helicopter that was shot down in Iraq by RPG and AK-47 fire. the story has been told in various forms by him and by NBC officials over the years. Williams told it on Letterman in 2013 and again last Friday night to a crowd of New York Ranger fans on Friday night (they were honoring soldiers). finally some of the troops actually involved in the incident called him out on it. after first denying it, last night he came clean on his newscast and admitted he had "misremembered" events. not only was his helicopter not shot down, it wasn't even with the group that did take fire. his group came along an hour later. and never was for one second under fire.

dude, hit the ball out of the park. lied, degraded the news profession and tried to make himself look like a tough guy soldier, not the metrosexual he obviously is.

question. will NBC fire him, reprimand him, do nothing, slowly ease him out, extend his contract, etc etc. what do you think??

as a former broadcaster, my head exploded when I read this story. our company was teeny tiny compared to NBC, but he would have immediately been standing on the street in front of the station holding a box with his things in it. no severance pay, no contract buyout, no letters of recommendation. we would have been on our knees apologizing profusely to our viewers and begging forgiveness.

what have we come to when our citizens can no longer trust our mainstream media to report facts and not make up stories??
        Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post

basically, he and NBC had a story from 2003 about him being in a Chinook helicopter that was shot down in Iraq by RPG and AK-47 fire. the story has been told in various forms by him and by NBC officials over the years. Williams told it on Letterman in 2013 and again last Friday night to a crowd of New York Ranger fans on Friday night (they were honoring soldiers). finally some of the troops actually involved in the incident called him out on it. after first denying it, last night he came clean on his newscast and admitted he had "misremembered" events. not only was his helicopter not shot down, it wasn't even with the group that did take fire. his group came along an hour later. and never was for one second under fire.

dude, hit the ball out of the park. lied, degraded the news profession and tried to make himself look like a tough guy soldier, not the metrosexual he obviously is.

question. will NBC fire him, reprimand him, do nothing, slowly ease him out, extend his contract, etc etc. what do you think??

as a former broadcaster, my head exploded when I read this story. our company was teeny tiny compared to NBC, but he would have immediately been standing on the street in front of the station holding a box with his things in it. no severance pay, no contract buyout, no letters of recommendation. we would have been on our knees apologizing profusely to our viewers and begging forgiveness.

what have we come to when our citizens can no longer trust our mainstream media to report facts and not make up stories??
          He'll have to fall back on his secondary career as a 90's gangster rap cover artist.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Wow. He's like the face of NBC news and they made that big lie? I'm speechless.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I doubt they'll outright fire him. There will be a "mutual parting" or "concious uncoupling," to use that stupid phrase, if he leaves at all within the next few months. He's their top guy, and NBC will want to somehow save some face. Add to that, given how little attention is actually paid to network newscasters these days when compared to years past, they won't see this such a big deal.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                I doubt they'll outright fire him. There will be a "mutual parting" or "concious uncoupling," to use that stupid phrase, if he leaves at all within the next few months. He's their top guy, and NBC will want to somehow save some face. Add to that, given how little attention is actually paid to network newscasters these days when compared to years past, they won't see this such a big deal.
                True. I could not have told you what network he even worked at. He's just another nice hairdoo -- thousands more where he came from. And in all honesty, does anybody under the age of 65 watch network news anymore? The Big Three have been irrelevant for 20 years.

Williams should have learned the Fox lesson. Don't lie about your own story; lie about the news!
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  I doubt they'll outright fire him [Brian Williams]. There will be a "mutual parting" ... if he leaves at all within the next few months.
                  Some people at NBC are really pizzed, and they are talking to the press about it:

NBC’s most revered journalist [Tom Brokaw] is furious that Brian Williams is still in the anchor chair after he sheepishly admitted he hadn’t traveled on a helicopter hit by enemy fire.

“Brokaw wants Williams’ head on a platter,” an NBC source said. “He is making a lot of noise at NBC that a lesser journalist or producer would have been immediately fired or suspended for a false report.”

“Tom Brokaw and [former NBC News President] Steve Capus knew this was a false story for a long time and have been extremely uncomfortable with it,” the source said.

NBC News execs had counseled him to stop telling the tale. [emphasis added]

Had he taken their advice, and not told the story again this last time, it might never have been revealed so publicly that he was not telling the truth.

They do now have a different rationale to fire him if they want: not for telling the false story previously, but for disregarding their direction to stop telling it any more.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

The Jobs Report is happy news for everyone. Can we leave out the argument whether it's because of, or in spite of, Obamacare, or the Republican elections, or whatever, and enjoy the news? (didn't think so)
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I have fired reporters for transgressions far less serious. Turns out Williams may have also embellished his reporting during Katrina. Recall, we were told of bodies in the Stuperdome, bodies in the convention center and various other horrors, all of which turned out to be untrue or greatly exaggerated. And he evidently claimed to have seen a "body floating" somewhere. He could be outta there if more examples of his lying are uncovered. Personally, I'd like to see him stick around long enough to cover the inevitable resurrection of the Hillary "I took fire in Bosnia" story. Like Louis Grizzard said of Teddy Kennedy during the Hill/Thomas hearings "he'd have to do his reporting with a bag over his head." Bottom Line? Brokaw's right, blow him out.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                        I have fired reporters for transgressions far less serious. Turns out Williams may have also embellished his reporting during Katrina. Recall, we were told of bodies in the Stuperdome, bodies in the convention center and various other horrors, all of which turned out to be untrue or greatly exaggerated. And he evidently claimed to have seen a "body floating" somewhere. He could be outta there if more examples of his lying are uncovered. Personally, I'd like to see him stick around long enough to cover the inevitable resurrection of the Hillary "I took fire in Bosnia" story. Like Louis Grizzard said of Teddy Kennedy during the Hill/Thomas hearings "he'd have to do his reporting with a bag over his head." Bottom Line? Brokaw's right, blow him out.
                        and now the saving puppies from a burning house while crawling on his hands and news. apparently he has a long rep at NBC as a jerk and a liar. and now a whole meme of internet jokes are starting. "Brian Williams killed Bin Laden" "Brian Williams saved Baby Jessica from the well" "Brian Williams once took a punch from Chuck Norris" having your journalistic integrity destroyed is bad but once the jokes start I don't know how you survive this.

we too have fired people for far far far less serious statements. misremembered or not.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Comment

While in other news, while Islamic jihadists are not true Muslims, Christians are responsible for slavery and Jim Crow laws because of the Crusades, or something like that....the original speech (at the National Prayer Breakfast no less) was a bit incoherent.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            While in other news, while Islamic jihadists are not true Muslims, Christians are responsible for slavery and Jim Crow laws because of the Crusades, or something like that....the original speech (at the National Prayer Breakfast no less) was a bit incoherent.
                            It was only incoherent to those who think the WSJ opinion page is the epitome of literature.
                            Last edited by unofan; 02-06-2015, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              It was only incoherent to those who think the WSJ opinion page is the epitome of literature.
                              It's hard work to construct that strawman.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                Obama compared Islamic Jihadist to Christians because of slavery and Jim Crow laws and the Crusades. before too much mud gets thrown take a history course. slavery and Jim Crow laws were Democratic positions and the Crusades (some of them anyway) were launched because Islamic forces were at the gates of Vienna and had conquered most of Spain and were pushing into France. at any rate it was a National Prayer Breakfast. maybe some coming together and kind words would have been nice.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Working...
                                X