X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Dude certainly had all the earmarks of a spoiled, bro'd out date rapist. Someone will need to find another long stick middle at Avon Old Farms.

But the rule is if somebody with a different flag murders you you're a --sniff-- national hero and nobody gets to criticize you.

She didn't get fired for being wrong. She got fired for being stupid.
    Seriously?

Comment

It's also possible the kid wasn't a bro-doosh and instead had a momentary lapse of reason. Either way he's dead and I don't find any comfort in trying to ridicule him after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        It's also possible the kid wasn't a bro-doosh and instead had a momentary lapse of reason. Either way he's dead and I don't find any comfort in trying to ridicule him after the fact.
        Agreed. Maybe I react so strongly because when I was a kid my Dad worked for the Gov't as a site admin and liaison overseas. We had it drilled in our heads the correct etiquette and how not to be an ugly American. We traveled quite a bit when we were there and every time we were going somewhere we got the mini-lecture on what wasn't OK where we were going. Rules were very black and white, never to be questioned and the 'host' country was always right. I can't see that they wouldn't have given a version of that to anyone who was travelling to somewhere like NK. Makes what happened baffling to me.
        Last edited by leswp1; 06-28-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• No link right now, but Arkansas put a stone 10 Commandments monument up and someone smashed it with their car.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Agreed. Maybe I react so strongly because when I was a kid my Dad worked for the Gov't as a site admin and liaison overseas. We had it drilled in our heads the correct etiquette and how not to be an ugly American. We traveled quite a bit when we were there and every time we were going somewhere we got the mini-lecture on what wasn't OK where we were going. Rules were very black and white, never to be questioned and the 'host' country was always right. I can't see that they wouldn't have given a version of that to anyone who was travelling to somewhere like NK. Makes what happened baffling to me.
            I'm living in The Philippines right now with my wife and two sons aged 13 and 14. I lived in Bahrain for 1 year and London for 6 months before that both contracts as a single. Before moving to Bahrain my company put me through a 4-day cultural training seminar even though my original contract was that I would only be there for 30 days. The move to London included nothing of the sort. I knew full well what "not to do" in Bahrain but I was 30 years old and knew how to behave.

I advised my boys that there will be distinct differences in cultural norms on many levels from what we were used to in Minnesota. Not as distinct as with the Middle East but nonetheless differences to be sure. Fortunately we had traveled as a family to SE Asia 4 times already so they had already experienced different ways of living, but still you want to be prepared. I made it very clear it's not the same as going into Wisconsin and they don't need to be as scared as going there, but they need to be mindful.

They're smart kids, very well behaved, etc. They're far from privileged and have never been spoiled, yet could I argue with 100% certainly they'd never ever have a weak moment and do something stupid? And as such would I not do everything in my power to defend them? Should either be ridiculed if the incident were "harmless" at least with respect to ending up in a hard-core prison nor much less dead?

This story as a father annoys me to no end and people getting sanctimonious about his actions make me want to punch them in the face no offense.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
              No link right now, but Arkansas put a stone 10 Commandments monument up and someone smashed it with their car.
              Live on Facebook.

This would appear to be a case of herpa-derp on herpa-derp violence: Thumpers put up magic rock on state land. Thumper who still believes in the First Amendment runs it down with his sweet 2016 Dodge Dart paid for by his workman's comp from his four back surgeries.

We live in interesting times.

Edit: most interesting Comment from the above:

This is the 2nd time you've done this dude...grow tf up and stop tryna gain attention.
              Huh.
              Last edited by Kepler; 06-28-2017, 02:33 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Sarah Palin files defamation suit against NY Times, for recently (i.e., after Hodgkinson tried to assassinate all those Republican legislators) stating that Palin's political action committee incited Jared Loughner to shoot Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in 2011.

Now, the barrier for a public figure to win such a suit is very high: I've read that, in this case, the NYT can only be held liable if it published the piece with actual knowledge of falsity or what the Supreme Court has characterized as a high degree of awareness of probable falsity.

On the other hand, that story about Palin has been widely debunked, even in "liberal" newspapers, and the Times itself has said on other occasions that there was no clear direct linkage between Palin's rhetoric and Loughner's shooting.

It will be interesting to see if this case ever goes to court or if the Times tries to settle.

CNN recently caved in a similar situation; issuing a public apology and firing the people who had reported "news" about a public figure that turned out to be demonstrably untrue.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Sarah Palin files defamation suit against NY Times, for recently (i.e., after Hodgkinson tried to assassinate all those Republican legislators) stating that Palin's political action committee incited Jared Loughner to shoot Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in 2011.

Now, the barrier for a public figure to win such a suit is very high: I've read that, in this case, the NYT can only be held liable if it published the piece with actual knowledge of falsity or what the Supreme Court has characterized as a high degree of awareness of probable falsity.

On the other hand, that story about Palin has been widely debunked, even in "liberal" newspapers, and the Times itself has said on other occasions that there was no clear direct linkage between Palin's rhetoric and Loughner's shooting.

It will be interesting to see if this case ever goes to court or if the Times tries to settle.

CNN recently caved in a similar situation; issuing a public apology and firing the people who had reported "news" about a public figure that turned out to be demonstrably untrue.
                  Funny how the snowflakes on the right have no problem lying their assess off, but file lawsuits the first time anyone says anything remotely controversial about them...

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    Sarah Palin files defamation suit
                    LOL. Looks like somebody needs another fifteen minutes on the famewhore wheel.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Funny how the snowflakes on the right have no problem lying their assess off, but file lawsuits the first time anyone says anything remotely controversial about them...
                      The NSDAP used democratic means to gain office, then disbanded democracy.

Any tool to hand. Don't expect criminals to play fair.

The difference between right and center media outlets: center media gets something wrong, they issue a retraction and an apology and there are consequences. Right media lies for decades at the top of their lungs, is constantly caught, doubles down and gives the liars raises and then cries about being persecuted. And their viewers baaaa along.

Too funny.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by unofun View Post
                        Funny how the snowflakes on the right ... file lawsuits the first time anyone says anything remotely controversial about them...
                        Um, it seems like you [again] missed the substantive point: the suit claims, with apparently decent evidence, that The Times acted with demonstrable malice: the editorial made a defamatory assertion which their own news reports had already determined was false.

That's a very different set of circumstances than "remotely controversial"....
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Um, it seems like you [again] missed the substantive point
                          Oh, Fishy. You don't want any part of a debate with unofan on law or, well, anything.

That is not your pay grade.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            Um, it seems like you [again] missed the substantive point: the suit claims, with apparently decent evidence, that The Times acted with demonstrable malice: the editorial made a defamatory assertion which their own news reports had already determined was false.

That's a very different set of circumstances than "remotely controversial"....
                            Funny how you never comment on Fox News' repeated lying and the liars who tell them, but are oh so concerned when Caribou Barbie sues the NYT.
                            Last edited by unofan; 06-28-2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Funny how you never comment on Fox News' repeated lying and the liars who tell them,
                              http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...fox-news-lies/
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                I'm living in The Philippines right now with my wife and two sons aged 13 and 14. I lived in Bahrain for 1 year and London for 6 months before that both contracts as a single. Before moving to Bahrain my company put me through a 4-day cultural training seminar even though my original contract was that I would only be there for 30 days. The move to London included nothing of the sort. I knew full well what "not to do" in Bahrain but I was 30 years old and knew how to behave.

I advised my boys that there will be distinct differences in cultural norms on many levels from what we were used to in Minnesota. Not as distinct as with the Middle East but nonetheless differences to be sure. Fortunately we had traveled as a family to SE Asia 4 times already so they had already experienced different ways of living, but still you want to be prepared. I made it very clear it's not the same as going into Wisconsin and they don't need to be as scared as going there, but they need to be mindful.

They're smart kids, very well behaved, etc. They're far from privileged and have never been spoiled, yet could I argue with 100% certainly they'd never ever have a weak moment and do something stupid? And as such would I not do everything in my power to defend them? Should either be ridiculed if the incident were "harmless" at least with respect to ending up in a hard-core prison nor much less dead?

This story as a father annoys me to no end and people getting sanctimonious about his actions make me want to punch them in the face no offense.
                                I can understand the point of view. No way the punishment meted out was OK. The result was awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X