X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I had absolutely no trouble understanding what that headline meant. You're either lying or exceptionally dense.
    I knew what they meant, but it was worded poorly, if one didn't want to consider it "clickbait."
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      So traffic around Atlanta is really going to SUCK for months now.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

So if I understand what all the other smart people are also saying here, I shouldn't trust The New York Times because of their obvious clickbait headline about how LGBTQ people won't be counted in the 2020 census, is that correct?
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          So if I understand what all the other smart people are also saying here, I shouldn't trust The New York Times because of their obvious clickbait headline about how LGBTQ people won't be counted in the 2020 census, is that correct?
          Yes, that's exactly it.

You should understand the context of what the census is and how that headline relates to it. It's Constitutional law that all people be counted. What's not mandated, however, is whether or not LGBT consideration is a demographic within that count. When the headline reads that something will not be counted, then you know it's a demographic breakdown context and not whether someone merely exists.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Check the headline - https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...gbtq.html?_r=0

Comment

You don't (understand what all the smart people on here are saying); that's the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                This is the second biggest collapse in Atlanta this year!
                Originally posted by mookie1995
                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Taiwan becomes the first Asian country to ban eating cats and dogs.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    Taiwan becomes the first Asian country to ban eating cats and dogs.
                    I guess cats and dogs now reign in Taiwan?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      I guess cats and dogs now reign in Taiwan?
                      Rec'd.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Awful
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Interesting.

In an article published Wednesday in the state-owned "Egemen Kazakhstan" newspaper, the Kazakh leader Nursultan Nazarbayev asked the government to start "preparatory work" and "create a schedule for the switch."

He also laid out a timetable for the transition from the currently used modified Cyrillic alphabet with 42 letters to the more internationally used Latin one, with the first deadline set for the end of this year.
                          Apparently Kazakh is Turkic, and Turkic languages typically use the Latin alphabet. They use Cyrillic as a legacy of domination by the Russians.

Having said which, Cyrillic is beautiful, and not just because an ethnic Czech thunk it up.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 04-13-2017, 11:27 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Cyrillic is a wonderful printed language. Tough as sh* to learn (I took a year of it, which basically amounts to nothing).
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Cyrillic is a wonderful printed language. Tough as sh* to learn (I took a year of it, which basically amounts to nothing).
                              It looks Greek to me.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                It may just be that Slavic languages are hard for us.

I tried to learn Slovac with audio on my commute.

Yeah, no.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X