X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    All I know is MDMA actually puts "holes" in your brain. Makes it look more like an Alzheimer's patient than a normal functioning brain. ...IIRc
    Well, if true that would change my opinion, yes.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I love that movie
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I knew a couple people in college who dropped X (I was usually the "babysitter" to make sure they didn't try and jump off a balcony because they thought they could fly, etc). I still don't think X should be legal, and the same with coke/meth. Much too destructive for the latter two, and very possibly too destructive (to the mind) for the former.
        I used to babysit friends on acid trips back in the 80's. My observation is it just makes people boring, not enlightened. But these were engineers, so maybe it's just an amplifier.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I love that movie
          Don't say that around here. We're hunted for sport.
          Cornell University

Comment

Well, if true that would change my opinion, yes.
            Yeah, heavy emphasis on the "if true" part. Because this is only what I remember from some source I can't even remember. I do remember seeing brain scans, but I have no idea if this is one of those internally created memories.

I do know for a fact that I knew one of the smartest guys I knew growing up ended melting his brain on the stuff. Of course, all the standard caveats apply. Anecdotal, don't know his usage pattern both long term and short term, etc.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Don't say that around here. We're hunted for sport.
              Ha. That's too bad. It's so brilliant.
              Code:

Comment

I used to babysit friends on acid trips back in the 80's. My observation is it just makes people boring, not enlightened. But these were engineers, so maybe it's just an amplifier.
                It very much is an amplifier. One of the guys was a tinfoil hat wearer, so to speak, and he would become extremely paranoid of anyone he didn't know really well. Another girl painted/drew as a hobby, and she created some bizarre stuff while tripping. She went full creative mode. I was told back then that I would probably be hilarious and beyond creative if I dropped the 'cid. I passed. Wanted nothing to do with it.

While I think this is more urban legend than actual science, the old "whiskey is an amplifier, usually for anger" also comes to mind.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Attitudes towards alcohol have changed greatly, IMO, though. It is definitely not socially acceptable to have a few drinks and drive, whereas only a couple decades ago, it was no big deal.
                  Marijuana attitudes are slowly changing, but I think that will be a slower change because it's actually labeled a "drug" by society.

While it is not my thing, I'm for the legalization of marijuana, as long as it's regulated/etc similar to alcohol. It's probably "better" (for lack of a better term) for you than cigarettes, too, all things being considered.
                  And it's odd that religious conservatives oppose drug use; it's the only way I know of to see God.

Comment

I think your hard drugs list is all over the place. Heroin should be a controlled substance under any pharmaceutical regime. Coke and meth are highly destructive and should be strictly regulated -- they're not the type of drugs I have in mind when I think about a recreational drug industry. Ecstasy, from what I gather from others who have used it, is currently undergoing the same sort of opportunistic scare campaign that afflicted pot once upon a time. There's a great P. J. O'Rourke description of taking ecstasy which essentially said it's like being overcome with feelings of loving your neighbor. Inappropriate maybe (depending on your neighbor) but hardly a boogeyman.
                    A doctor put coke up my nose as a local anesthesia when I had to have the bridge reset back in 2005 after busting it into three pieces. I felt absolutely no pain with the coke and I was high as a giraffe's a** for a few hours. The come down was pretty horrible, though, and it's the only time I've ever had it. It's a schedule II pharmaceutical, carried in most hospital pharmacies, though I doubt your local Walgreen's or CVS would stock it.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      A doctor put coke up my nose as a local anesthesia when I had to have the bridge reset back in 2005 after busting it into three pieces. I felt absolutely no pain with the coke and I was high as a giraffe's a** for a few hours. The come down was pretty horrible, though, and it's the only time I've ever had it. It's a schedule II pharmaceutical, carried in most hospital pharmacies, though I doubt your local Walgreen's or CVS would stock it.
                      This is the first I've ever heard of that being used by a physician in present-day society. Huh.

ETA: I'd tell the dentist, "No thanks" to the coke. I would prefer Novocaine. Any reason he or she went the coke route over something else?
                      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 10-20-2015, 09:57 AM.
                      Code:

Comment

This is the first I've ever heard of that being used by a physician in present-day society. Huh.
                        The doctor smiled at me when he wrote the script, then said I was going to enjoy it. There were very tight controls on how the prescription gets written, in that I dropped off the script when I had my consult visit, but couldn't pickup the vial until the day of my procedure.

I'm not really a drug user, seldom drink to get drunk even, but I didn't bother telling him that because I figured he was giving it to me for a reason. The come down just isn't worth it. I thought my heart was going to explode.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The doctor smiled at me when he wrote the script, then said I was going to enjoy it. There were very tight controls on how the prescription gets written, in that I dropped off the script when I had my consult visit, but couldn't pickup the vial until the day of my procedure.

I'm not really a drug user, seldom drink to get drunk even, but I didn't bother telling him that because I figured he was giving it to me for a reason. The come down just isn't worth it. I thought my heart was going to explode.
                          and you just got a small amount as a topical application. When you snort cocaine, you absorb much larger amounts through mucous membranes in your sinus for a more systematic affect.

Crazy that technically, under federal law, marijuana has no medicinal use, and can't even be researched but cocaine has recognized legal uses. We have researchers here that study addiction, they have no problem purchasing cocaine using federal funding (which they then give to lab mice). Something they could never do with marijuana.

Comment

Many moons ago, when I worked at MGH, Mass Eye & Ear (adjoining but separate) used tincture of cocaine for nasal problems, including nosebleeds, IIRC.
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                              Many moons ago, when I worked at MGH, Mass Eye & Ear (adjoining but separate) used tincture of cocaine for nasal problems, including nosebleeds, IIRC.
                              To CAUSE them?

Comment

Cocaine is used mostly in the pediatrics side of ENT (ear nose and throat). It works great, has a short half life, and is relatively side effect free. MDMA can "make holes in the brain" but it is largely dangerous due to large swing of neurotransmitters...but that certainly is not exclusive to MDMA.
                                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X