X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, I'm mainly talking non-truck engines. But I get what you're saying.

I just think that when you have two diverging technologies, diesel and hybrids, for consumer cars and the only (truly) major player in the game massively ****s up like this, it's going to hurt the entire industry.
    Its unfortunate that there isn't another manufacturer well positioned to fill the void. There's marketshare just sitting there waiting to be plucked.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Its unfortunate that there isn't another manufacturer well positioned to fill the void. There's marketshare just sitting there waiting to be plucked.
      Oddly enough, I would have said Audi, but I had no idea they were VW's luxury brand before this story broke. (I also didn't know that VW owned Porsche.) Never really looked either.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realize all of these were under the VWG:
      VW
      Audi
      Porsche (apparently their full name is "Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG", or "Doktor Ingenieur honoris causa Ferdinand Porsche Aktiengesellschaft")
      Lamborghini
      Bugatti (I knew this one)
      Ducati
      Bentley
      Skoda
      MAN (never heard of them)
      Scania (never heard of them)
      SEAT (never heard of them)
      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 09-25-2015, 01:53 PM.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Oddly enough, I would have said Audi, but I had no idea they were VW's luxury brand before this story broke. (I also didn't know that VW owned Porsche.) Never really looked either.
        VW is Germany's GM. They're huge, and own a whole stable of other brand names. Many Audis are just rebranded VWs with finer interior accoutrements more powerful engines. The most common and direct example is Passat = A4. The top-of-the-line Passat is the equivalent of a lower- to mid-line A4.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Edit: Wow, I didn't realize all of these were under the VWG:
          VW
          Audi
          Porsche (apparently their full name is "Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG", or "Doktor Ingenieur honoris causa Ferdinand Porsche Aktiengesellschaft")
          Lamborghini
          Bugatti (I knew this one)
          Ducati
          Bentley
          Skoda
          MAN (never heard of them)
          Scania (never heard of them)
          SEAT (never heard of them)
          Yeah, I knew they owned those brands, they're huge. I mean, when Tata owns Range Rover, anything can happen, right? :P

The closest positioned to take that marketshare is Mercedes, but they don't have a brand that appeals to the same market that VW's TDI did. There is no "cheap" brand for Mercedes. Fiat has some possibilities, but their engines are essentially expensive boat anchors. Hell, even we have some engines that small, but I sure wouldn't sell them in a NA marketplace.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            VW is Germany's GM. They're huge, and own a whole stable of other brand names. Many Audis are just rebranded VWs with finer interior accoutrements more powerful engines. The most common and direct example is Passat = A4. The top-of-the-line Passat is the equivalent of a lower- to mid-line A4.

Also, the VW Touareg is often compared to the Porsche Cayenne. Same platform, lots of the same or very similar parts. Just slightly less luxury polish on the inside and 25-30k price difference.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              no 3, behind toyota and gm
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I knew about VW/Porsche, IIRC, that's been like that for quite a while.

As for Audi, I didn't know that, but I'll say my brother (longtime mechanic, for those who don't know) told me if I ever got an Audi, he would never touch it (he's the only one I trust with my vehicle nowadays). He hates the engineering on them.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I knew about VW/Porsche, IIRC, that's been like that for quite a while.

As for Audi, I didn't know that, but I'll say my brother (longtime mechanic, for those who don't know) told me if I ever got an Audi, he would never touch it (he's the only one I trust with my vehicle nowadays). He hates the engineering on them.
                  German Engineering: Cheat and Take Shortcuts!

RIP - Kirby

Comment

"Belichick" is Croat, not German.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

MAN have made diesels for a while. IIRC, they powered the U-Boats.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

My VW isn't diesel, but it still sucks.

Looks pretty, though.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

German Engineering: We never met a complication we didn't like
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            My VW isn't diesel, but it still sucks.

Looks pretty, though.
                            I'm in my 2nd VW. Had an '11 Tiguan 2.0L turbo gasser, loved it but traded it in to increase towing capacity.

Now in a '14 Touareg 3.0L TDI. Really love this one, although in all honesty it very well may be overpriced compared to other brand offers. It does get slightly better fuel economy, despite being quite a bit heavier/bigger.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                              I'm in my 2nd VW. Had an '11 Tiguan 2.0L turbo gasser, loved it but traded it in to increase towing capacity.

Now in a '14 Touareg 3.0L TDI. Really love this one, although in all honesty it very well may be overpriced compared to other brand offers. It does get slightly better fuel economy, despite being quite a bit heavier/bigger.
                              I have a 2007 Fahrenheit GTI. Fun little car when it is working correctly. I don't entirely blame VW for it, though. It has nearly 140000 miles on it, and I don't really have the funds to get it proper.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

I had an Audi GT Coupe and later a Quattro in the late 80's early 90's and can't say that I'd ever want to return to the brand.

Comment

Working...
                                X