This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Not sure where it's best to post this, but a very interesting perspective on marijuana from a career high school teacher I saw over on Facebook:

“I hate pot. I hate it even more than hard drugs. I’ve taught high school for 25 years and I hate what marijuana does to my students. It goes beyond missing homework assignments. My students become less curious when they start smoking pot. I’ve seen it time and time again. People say pot makes you more creative, but from what I’ve seen, it narrows my students' minds until they only reference the world in relation to the drug. They’ll say things like: “I went to the beach and got so high,” or “I went to a concert and got so high.” They start choosing their friends based on the drug. I hate when people say that it’s just experimenting. Because from what I’ve seen, it’s when my students stop experimenting.”
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      What does the Pope's visit have to do with the VW situation?
      New thought. I did not realize that VW had taken over the thread. Sorry for my ignorance.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        New thought. I did not realize that VW had taken over the thread. Sorry for my ignorance.
        It was you quoting the item about VW and then posting something about the Pope that was confusing.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          It was you quoting the item about VW and then posting something about the Pope that was confusing.
          I didn't quote anyone.

Oops! I did. Sorry. ÷_€€%=€#//#& android phones
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            I didn't quote anyone.

Oops! I did. Sorry. ÷_€€%=€#//#& android phones
            Get a Mac!
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
              “I hate it even more than hard drugs.”
              This person sounds like someone who has never seen a hard drug user or chronic alcoholic in their entire life. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Get a Mac!
                Why would he want to make it worse?

And reading more about this VW stuff, they're ****ed. 11 million cars worldwide? They not only have EPA issues, they'll have EU problems too. To knowingly circumvent regulations to this extent is blatant disregard for the law, and I can't imagine that the EPA is going to take it anything close to lightly.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

And reading more about this VW stuff, they're ****ed. 11 million cars worldwide? They not only have EPA issues, they'll have EU problems too. To knowingly circumvent regulations to this extent is blatant disregard for the law, and I can't imagine that the EPA is going to take it anything close to lightly.
                  Karma is already getting to VW. Wolfsburg is losing to Bayern Munich 5-1...

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by jimjamesak View Post
                    karma is already getting to vw. Wolfsburg is losing to bayern munichlewandowski 5-1...

:d
                    fyp
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      Just rehashing the joke of when people have issues with a PC, it's the inevitable response. I thought it would be funny here as he's running an Android phone and a Mac is certainly not a phone.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      I'm thinking Germany might step in through back channels to make a plea with the EPA to not be too hard on VW. The company is huge in Germany, like 1960s GM big for the US equivalent. It could seriously damage an already shaky European economy.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        This person sounds like someone who has never seen a hard drug user or chronic alcoholic in their entire life. Just sayin'.
                        I think it's his way of saying that he hates the insidious nature of marijuana and its social acceptance in comparison to (at least for now) society still largely rejecting hard drugs. Not that that's the main point of what is being said.
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I think it's his way of saying that he hates the insidious nature of marijuana and its social acceptance in comparison to (at least for now) society still largely rejecting hard drugs. Not that that's the main point of what is being said.
                          Fair enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            fyp
                            Thanks. It was bb_dl, I was already trolling enough.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I agree with that interpretation, though I think he's wrong. My Mom (wow, twice in one day) was an RN who worked with alcoholics and hard drug users, and she used to say that alcohol was actually far more destructive because (1) it was always there as a legal temptation even when the patient was released back into society, and (2) because alcoholics were erroneously considered "in recovery," whereas addicts were always (correctly) considered "in remission."
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I agree with that interpretation, though I think he's wrong. My Mom (wow, twice in one day) was an RN who worked with alcoholics and hard drug users, and she used to say that alcohol was actually far more destructive because (1) it was always there as a legal temptation even when the patient was released back into society, and (2) because alcoholics were erroneously considered "in recovery," whereas addicts were always (correctly) considered "in remission."
                                I wouldn't say, as this person did, that marijuana is worse than hard drugs as a general proposition, but again, the main point was marijuana's negative effect on students, not a debate of which is worse. If this person exaggerated a little in saying hard drugs aren't as bad, that's a minor foible in making the overall point they make.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X