• Re: Headline News Thread

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    We all were sea-swallow'd, though some cast again,
    And by that destiny to perform an act
    Whereof what's past is prologue, what to come
    In yours and my discharge.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There's been another 1-35 bridge collapse. This time it's a bridge still under construction, collapsed due to a passing vehicle striking a support pillar. It happened about 50 miles north of Austin, TX.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

SCSU: Where our professors can out smuggle your professors.

A St. Cloud State University philosophy professor was arrested Tuesday on charges of conspiring to smuggle rhinoceros horns and elephant ivory out of the United States and into China.

Yiwei Zheng, who appeared in U.S. District Court on Tuesday, faces a federal indictment accusing him of conspiracy, smuggling and making a false statement to agents. Zheng also is charged with violating the federal Lacey Act, which bans trade in wildlife, fish and plants that have been illegally taken, transported or sold.

Zheng, who has taught at St. Cloud State since 1999, was arrested by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service agents in St. Cloud, the Minneapolis-based Star Tribune reported. Zheng appeared in court, surrendered his passport and was released on $25,000 unsecured bond, according to a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

The Dark Lord Returns... Again!

An Alabama couple received a shock when their baby was born without a nose in early March. Now, young Eli is happy and healthy while his parents prepare to bring him home from the hospital, reported AL.com.

During a 3-D ultrasound, the couple commented on Eli’s cute nose, as the imaging, which shows bone, not tissue, showed a raised bit of bone beneath the skin where the nose should be.

In addition to missing an external nose, Eli was born without a nasal cavity or olfactory system. McGlathery has heard him sneeze, though.

The chance of being born with congenital arhinia is one in 197 million, McGlathery told the paper. She’s found other mothers with children with the same condition and has started to feel better about his survival.

McGlathery plans to wait on unnecessary facial surgeries until he’s older. Because his palate did not fully form, his brain is lower. Plus, his condition affects his pituitary gland, meaning he’ll have to be past puberty before his nasal passageways can be built.

"We're going to do our best to make sure he's happy," McGlathery told AL.com. "The rest of him is so cute, sometimes you don't realize he doesn't have a nose."
          The part I bolded has me rolling. If he'd have been an ugly baby...

Comment

I thought the NRA said guns keep us safe.

If you would believe the logic the NRA has used to justify guns everywhere from inside capitol buildings to bars to schools, more guns equal more safety. With that premise, one would think an NRA convention – a place where thousands of gun-owners congregate to buy, sell, and talk weaponry – would be the safest place in the world. The NRA disagrees. In fact, they’d rather you kept your guns at home, please.

The NRA, America’s largest gun lobbying group, is planning to hold its annual convention this week in Nashville. According to planners, over 70,000 proud good guys (and girls) with guns are expected to show up. As always, attendees will hear talks from celebrities, politicians, former Alaskan half-term governors, and gun-rights advocates, while a massive arena will be filled with vendors.

Oddly, the NRA has decided that it wouldn’t feel safe allowing 70,000 people packing heat to mill about. According to local paper The Tennessean, the organization put together a plan that they say will keep people safe – namely, “no guns.”

A multilevel security plan went into works not long after Nashville was chosen as the convention destination. All guns on the convention floor will be nonoperational, with the firing pins removed, and any guns purchased during the NRA convention will have to be picked up at a Federal Firearms License dealer, near where the purchaser lives, and will require a legal identification.
            In other words: no working guns on the property and required registration procedures for all gun purchases. They’ve also reportedly paid over $200,000 for extra security. If those seem like relatively tame requirements around so many lethal weapons, then you haven’t been paying attention lately.

It will be interesting to see whether the gun rights movement handles these rules well; after all, these are the very same folks who “exercised their Second Amendment rights” by intentionally walking into restaurants armed to the teeth to prove a point about the “right” to open carry anywhere they please.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Clearly they're worried about a bunch of them getting excited and shooting holes into the roof of the Bridgestone Arena.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I think the NRA knows they have a bunch of nuts in their organization, which won't help the cause. So, ban the guns, and make the org look good with no crazies.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

My dad gave up his membership 20 years ago, as the NRA became less and less about responsible gun ownership and citizen education programs, and more about lobbying on behalf of the industry for unrestricted gun ownership at any cost.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    My dad gave up his membership 20 years ago, as the NRA became less and less about responsible gun ownership and citizen education programs, and more about lobbying on behalf of the industry for unrestricted gun ownership at any cost.
                    Your Dad is Michael Moore?

It would be interesting know the history of when the NRA abandoned all pretense of being anything but a shill for greater gun sales. There must have been "sportsmen" and gun safety advocates fairly high in the organization who tried to warn people. There's a great book there for somebody to research.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      I think the NRA knows they have a bunch of nuts in their organization, which won't help the cause. So, ban the guns, and make the org look good with no crazies.
                      But the only way to stop a nut with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Surely the safest thing to do would be to have their obviously good guy gun owners have their guns.

Comment

The only problem wiht your statement is that there are no good guys with guns.
                        1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2018

Boston College Hockey: It's just that we're better than you.

B Who? Oh, you mean "Sux 2 B.U."

Comment

• Originally posted by TimP View Post
                          The only problem wiht your statement is that there are no good guys with guns.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Yeah, I'm just a lord of evil over here. It's a wonder I can even sleep at night.

Comment

Planet of the apes.
                              Cornell University

Comment

The good news is, voting works. The bad news is, your city government is actively trying to murder you and only thirty percent can get to the polls for the election that can get rid of them?
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X