This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Sexual discrimination goes both ways. http://www.newsweek.com/man-wins-gen...-wanted-853795

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      1. (LES!) The first time the bombs were reported here (that I know of) was when they connected the first two. So it was a delayed response, but non-stop since.
      2. The FedEx bomb went off prematurely, from my understanding. FedEx was NOT the target.
      Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Yes, they’ve been saying this for days.

Am I going crazy here, hasn’t this been the lead on just about every major news program for a week? I have seen so many people make posts that this isn’t being covered or they’re shocked that they’re connected. I don’t get it. Obviously they’re connected. We knew they were connected after #2.
      I was hearing it even on the stuff like INside Edition as a lead up. Also seeing a ton of posts sying no one is covering it.

And seeing a bunch of posts saying no one is covering the resource officer who shot the student. Not sure what rock these people live under but it is a vast cover up so people won't see armed resource officers work. No. They. Don't. The kid wasn't deterred. He is just dead. It isn't normal to have anyone shooting in a school. Period. We are really effed up.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        I was hearing it even on the stuff like INside Edition as a lead up. Also seeing a ton of posts sying no one is covering it.

And seeing a bunch of posts saying no one is covering the resource officer who shot the student. Not sure what rock these people live under but it is a vast cover up so people won't see armed resource officers work. No. They. Don't. The kid wasn't deterred. He is just dead. It isn't normal to have anyone shooting in a school. Period. We are really effed up.
        I didn't hear about either of these, the bombing until a few days ago, when people in my beer group were worried about FedEx searching their illegal beer shipments, and this other shooting until I read your post. I don't even know what a resource officer is, have never heard of that before.

But, I don't read or watch the news, because it seems so pointless and useless. I just deal with my own stuff.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I didn't hear about either of these, the bombing until a few days ago, when people in my beer group were worried about FedEx searching their illegal beer shipments, and this other shooting until I read your post. I don't even know what a resource officer is, have never heard of that before.

But, I don't read or watch the news, because it seems so pointless and useless. I just deal with my own stuff.
          I'm not sure I've ever seen a more perfect example of ignorance being bliss in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            I'm not sure I've ever seen a more perfect example of ignorance being bliss in my life.
            i'm pretty envious of this guy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/s...oo-little.html

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              (not just because he looks young for being 53)

Comment

You can't make his **** up:

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10660
                Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post

I had to take a training for work (am adjunct at a Catholic U). Having dealt with trangender folk in my career I could get why but to extinguish gender seems to discount the people who want to claim a particular one and it is a big part of their identity. I would much rather just know what a person identified with and use that. (not articulately put but I am not sure how to say it)

Comment

• Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post

Right wingers need to learn it's not cool to use racist dog whistles, left wingers need to learn it's not cool to take offense at otherwise innocuous statements. Twas ever thus.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      Right wingers need to learn it's not cool to use racist dog whistles, left wingers need to learn it's not cool to take offense at otherwise innocuous statements. Twas ever thus.
                      It's completely equivalent to compare a handful of adolescents to the President, a third of Congress, and half the Republican party.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        It's completely equivalent to compare a handful of adolescents to the President, a third of Congress, and half the Republican party.
                        Well, in a perfect world, the code of conduct would just be, "don't be an *** to each other." But that's not going to work. So there's the push and pull of one side being jackoffs, and the other being twitchy little snowflakes. And those sides switch up based on whose ox is being gored.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

It's my understanding that "resource" officer is basically a Community Service Officer with a gun (so, kind of a transition to a real patrolling cop), or maybe a real cop with a side job.
                          Many schools in our metro are real cops that have this side job, though.

And les, you will never totally prevent school shootings, but that Resource Officer DID prevent additional killings by the shooter.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Almost always a full time officer. Ours were always within 8-10 years of retirement.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Almost always a full time officer. Ours were always within 8-10 years of retirement.
                              Thanks for the info. I know back in my day, it was just a CSO, then they escalated as time went on.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                It's my understanding that "resource" officer is basically a Community Service Officer with a gun (so, kind of a transition to a real patrolling cop), or maybe a real cop with a side job.
                                Many schools in our metro are real cops that have this side job, though.

And les, you will never totally prevent school shootings, but that Resource Officer DID prevent additional killings by the shooter.
                                In our town it is an actual police officer that floats between schools.

And I know there will never be total prevention, at least not in our current culture. What irks me is the people flaming on FB saying a)no one is covering it (false) b)congratulating themselves because they are brilliant for thinking arming people is the ultimate answer. It is fvcking insane that we think it is good that someone came to school to shoot it up and someone shot them dead. There literally is nowhere else in the civilized world that this would happen and people would not be shocked. We are so numbed to the shooting in schools our response is no longer OMG someone shot a school up. Now we think- oh, good. The guy was armed and he shot him dead before he could kill anyone else. I repeat. That is fvcking insane.

My Sunday school class wanted to talk about this. They are from 8th-11th grade. Their take was no amount of nice is going to make a mentally ill person not want to shoot anyone. One kid related they had the be nice thing in place. One of the kids they tried to be nice to made a hit list and was expelled. As one of the kids said- sharing your chocolate ice cream ain't going to fix a paranoid schizophrenic (exact quote).

Other gems- they think some teachers are dam scary without arming them. They all would feel in more danger with armed teachers- citing teachers who get angry and yell not being able to control themselves what if they had a gun?

People who are doing this stuff are planning to die. Having an armed person isn't going to deter them. They think they are going to die anyway

The most profound- "All looks good on paper but people who are going to shoot up a school have no remorse. No one thinks about the guy who has to shoot at him and maybe kill him. What about him (the guard)? He has to live with shooting and maybe killing someone for the rest of his life."

What the hell do you say to that?

** the only part of this conversation I had was making sure people didn't talk over each other. I didn't make any suggestions or lead them to thinking a particular way. This was all something they were discussing. They are baffled that adults are so stupid and fall for all the nonsense they do.
                                Last edited by leswp1; 03-21-2018, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X