X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Keystone XL approved today in Nebraska. Despite spill in South Dakota.
    http://www.postbulletin.com/business...670124b18.html
    An oil spill is bad.
    And 210,000 gallons is a big number.

However, as with everything, consider it in scope. The 210,000 gallons is 5000 barrels (42 gal/bbl). That section of the pipeline moves 500,000 bbl per day.

One percent of one day leaked.

I'd say Keystone's safeguards and systems worked. They detected the leak, shut down the pipeline, and isolated the problem so that 1% of that day's transport was released.

Still not happy about it; however, imagine if there wasn't the diligence shown (and legally required).
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Scope of spill is small because pipeline is huge. Logic is not your strong suit.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

And one more thing:

I led a project where we installed a novel solvent leak detection system at the plant I worked at. We are able to detect leaks of less than 0.5% flow rate in under 30 seconds. As we tune the system, we expect it to cap out at about 10-15 lbs in a line capable of well over 800 lb/min. If that thing ran 24 hours we would be looking at 0.00091% of the daily output of the pipe. And that’s using the conservative number of 800 lb/min and wireless technology. If we had used wired technology we would have gotten that down to around 0.1% flow difference and cut the max spill even more.

That oil pipeline’s detection and leak prevention system is absolute horsesh-it.
        Last edited by dxmnkd316; 11-20-2017, 04:42 PM.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          And one more thing:

I led a project where we installed a novel solvent leak detection system at the plant I worked at. We are able to detect leaks of less than 0.5% flow rate in under 30 seconds. As we tune the system, we expect it to cap out at about 10-15 lbs in a line capable of well over 800 lb/min. If that thing ran 24 hours we would be looking at 0.00091% of the daily output of the pipe. And that’s using the conservative number of 800 lb/min and wireless technology. If we had used wired technology we would have gotten that down to around 0.1% flow difference and cut the max spill even more.

That oil pipeline’s detection and leak prevention system is absolute horsesh-it.
          Applause to you for that level of performance in a closed environment (your plant).

This is a transcontinental system where temperature differences at pumping stations can account for the detectable changes you claim.

On a transcontinental pipeline getting 1% isolation is solid performance.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

***** please. A temperature transmitter costs 3,500 bucks and that oil is constantly flowing. Temperature variation had to be accounted for in our system too. It was ridiculously simple and cost us around $50,000 for ten separate systems.
            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              Applause to you for that level of performance in a closed environment (your plant).

This is a transcontinental system where temperature differences at pumping stations can account for the detectable changes you claim.

On a transcontinental pipeline getting 1% isolation is solid performance.
              The logic defies me too. Huge spill is OK because it could have been bigger. Yup. Too lazy to think of the multiple analogies that would make this look silly.

Comment

Scope of spill is small because pipeline is huge. Logic is not your strong suit.
                The spill was small because, well, the spill was small. Check out the list. You can order by date, location and by estimated max and min tonnes.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

So because we’ve seen worse this isn’t bad? I know that’s not what you’re saying but it’s the logic you’re using.

This was something like the tenth largest spill in the US since 2007. This was bad others were disasters. Doesn’t make this any better.
                  Code:

Comment

So because we’ve seen worse this isn’t bad? I know that’s not what you’re saying but it’s the logic you’re using.

This was something like the tenth largest spill in the US since 2007. This was bad others were disasters. Doesn’t make this any better.
                    I think pipelines are the way to go, ultimately. When the Bakken fields were churning out so much oil that it was clogging the railroads throughout MN, causing serious issues for supplying our power plants. We need to diversify our delivery methods, and try to make them as safe as possible. Pipelines are safer than people want to admit, though we still need to work on ways of making them even safer.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      I think pipelines are the way to go, ultimately. When the Bakken fields were churning out so much oil that it was clogging the railroads throughout MN, causing serious issues for supplying our power plants. We need to diversify our delivery methods, and try to make them as safe as possible. Pipelines are safer than people want to admit, though we still need to work on ways of making them even safer.
                      That costs money. So won't happen. Instead we'll build the pipeline and destroy the environment. Win win for the 1%.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I completely agree. So we can’t give them passes on these kinds of spills. Especially when they are running right over what is perhaps the world’s most important aquifer.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                          imagine if there wasn't the diligence shown (and legally required).
                          then there wouldn't have been the diligence shown!
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

dx, how impacted are you by the 694 washout? I know it's in your neck of the woods.

http://www.startribune.com/washout-i...s/461806173/#1

Comment

If I want to make it down to anything south of GDO, it’s going to be a major PITA. Getting to work was fine this morning. But I had a scouting report that Century was awful yesterday with all the trucks. So I knew of a few backroads that would be fine.

The hole opened about 2-3 miles south of me. It’s a major inconvenience to the east metro. That’s a massive highway that’s clogged on a good day. And it’s not like they closed it between the two closest exits, they closed it from 36 all the way to 94 preventing all local traffic from accessing it. I get why they did it, I’m just not sure I’m fully bought in. They would have had to force all traffic off at CR-5 going south and 10th st going north. There is absolutely no way to handle that volume on any local streets.

If we had anything more than 2-3” of snow coming, this would be biblically bad for anyone east of 35W. I say 35W because 494 and 694 would be completely stopped up with all east side north/south traffic. 35E wouldn’t even be an escape because everyone would be on that and it’s already awful during the winter rush hour.

Here's a link to the current camera shot:
                              https://video.dot.state.mn.us/video/...?1512409610095

ETA: The absolute worst part about this is that concrete road was finished only a few years ago. It was still virtually pristine. I'm hoping they aren't going to have to cut it apart which will inevitably create Buick-sized potholes within a year.
                              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-04-2017, 11:53 AM.
                              Code:

Comment

I'd probably go east to Radio Dr, or similar. My gf works at a Catholic church in Oakdale, just east of Century, on 15th St. She's hosed. In fact, when I go there to pick her up for a date, I might go so far as to get off 494 at Lake Rd in Woodbury, and take that over to Radio Dr or Woodbury Dr, up to 10th or 15, whichever will get me across 694 the quickest.

Comment

Working...
                                X