X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Headline News Thread

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    slavery and Jim Crow laws were Democratic positions
    You do realize the parties realigned, and the Dixiecrats are now the Republican base, right?

Talk about needing a history course.

and the Crusades (some of them anyway) were launched because Islamic forces were at the gates of Vienna and had conquered most of Spain and were pushing into France.
    Good lord. Please tell us where you went to school; whoever taught you needs to have their license revoked.

The First Crusade was declared in 1096. The Battle of Tours, where the Franks beat back the Umayyad Caliphate, was in 732. You're off by 364 years!

The Ninth and last Crusade ended in 1272. Even at that point crusades were merely political wars draped in religious language. The Siege of Vienna was in 1529. You're getting better, you're only off by 257 years this time.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-06-2015, 09:00 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      You do realize the parties realigned, and the Dixiecrats are now the Republican base, right?

Been explained at least twice before.

Comment

Party of Lincoln!
        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
          The cornpone gibberish these righties transmit to one another as "history" would be hysterical if they hadn't nearly destroyed the country through their ignorance.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

True. I could not have told you what network he even worked at. He's just another nice hairdoo -- thousands more where he came from. And in all honesty, does anybody under the age of 65 watch network news anymore? The Big Three have been irrelevant for 20 years.
            this is true. only 27% of Americans could identify his picture and 2% of those thought he was Joe Biden. I almost dropped the computer I laughed so hard.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Good lord. Please tell us where you went to school; whoever taught you needs to have their license revoked.

The First Crusade was declared in 1096. The Battle of Tours, where the Franks beat back the Umayyad Caliphate, was in 732. You're off by 364 years!

The Ninth and last Crusade ended in 1272. Even at that point crusades were merely political wars draped in religious language. The Siege of Vienna was in 1529. You're getting better, you're only off by 257 years this time.
              You're judging people living today based on acts committed more than 700 years ago.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I missed the infamous speech. What was Barry's point in going after Christianity? Does he just feel like he can let fly now that he's a lame duck? Is he blaming Christianity for incentivizing the Muslims to be crazy psycho killers? Like if it wasn't for the churchgoers in America they would be all lovey-dovey over there? I don't get it.
                Anyone here who was involved in some violent religious crusade a thousand years ago, raise your hand. I think he's lost it.
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                  I missed the infamous speech.
                  You missed it, you didn't bother to do a 5 second search and educate yourself, but you're going to comment on it....

FFS.

Comment

we can (and have) argued all day about the racist proclivities of the Democratic party. pro slavery, pro South, pro Jim Crow, pro Dixiecrat, pro welfare, pro terrible inner city school and on and on and on all the while telling black people they are not as good or as smart and obviously can't make it on their own and therefore must be "taken care of" by their kindly masters, the Democrats. I realize you believe that sometime, a flip flop occurred and now the Republican are pro slavery, pro South, pro Jim Crow, etc. I don't think either party supports those positions now, but it always enjoyable to pull your chain. thanks.

the Crusades. an interesting period of history where its possible for every person in the world to hold a differing opinion and still be correct. its that messed up. Muslims captured the Levant in the mid 600s. why this didn't gather any European attention has hundreds of explanations. see previous sentence. personally I think it was because most of Europe wasn't even Christian itself at the time (or bare so) and those that were, were so backward they didn't even know where Jerusalem was. if you lived in the Levant at the time Muslim rule was enlightened and civilized. and in some cases amazingly tolerant. it was only when the Komnenos got their panties in a bunch about their Byzantime Empire being eaten up by the ever encroaching Muslims that they asked for European help in 1096. once again, you me and every other historian of the era has a reason this happened. heck, a good Marxist argument could be made for the rising of the peasant worker. or a Pope wanting a bunch of troublemakers off his back. *** for tat until the Muslims took down the Byzantine empire - 1452 or 53?? - and finally arrived on Vienna's doorstep in 1529. its a timeline not specific dates.

Michigan State. History, Art History and Classical Studies. some emphasis in Central European history. Latin and Greek. I think time has long ago revoked their licenses. may they RIP.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                      and you still don't get it.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        I missed the infamous speech. What was Barry's point in going after Christianity? Does he just feel like he can let fly now that he's a lame duck? Is he blaming Christianity for incentivizing the Muslims to be crazy psycho killers? Like if it wasn't for the churchgoers in America they would be all lovey-dovey over there? I don't get it.
                        Anyone here who was involved in some violent religious crusade a thousand years ago, raise your hand. I think he's lost it.
                        its one of those presidential occasions where you get up and say thanks for coming and really mean, you lucky ******** you're eating breakfast at the White House. instead he compared ISIS to Christians. which even if you wanted to say by Christians he meant Crusaders is still quite a stretch. needs a speech editor.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                          Obama compared Islamic Jihadist to Christians because of slavery and Jim Crow laws and the Crusades. before too much mud gets thrown take a history course. slavery and Jim Crow laws were Democratic positions and the Crusades (some of them anyway) were launched because Islamic forces were at the gates of Vienna and had conquered most of Spain and were pushing into France. at any rate it was a National Prayer Breakfast. maybe some coming together and kind words would have been nice.
                          Thanks, Sarah Palin.

Oh, And he doesn't need to change his writer unless you mean dumb it down for the average listener.
                          Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-07-2015, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Thanks, Sarah Palin.

Oh, And he doesn't need to change his writer unless you mean dumb it down for the average listener.
                            He'd have to just stop saying anything. But then he'd be criticized for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              He didn't attack Christianity or blame it for the Middle East. He merely said we should be aware of our own religious history before we cast the first stone at other religions as a whole. He then listed some historical events that occurred in the name of Christendom or were often justified by the Bible.

This somehow is an outrage.
                              Last edited by unofan; 02-07-2015, 06:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                He didn't attack Christianity or blame it for the Middle East. He merely said we should be aware of our own religious history before we cast the first stone at other religions as a whole. He then listed some historical events that occurred in the name of Christendom or were often justified by the Bible.

This somehow is an outrage.
                                Don't c-block the narrative.

Comment

Working...
                                X