Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bentley Falcons 2014-2015: If You Build It, They Will Come

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    And, this joke leads to today's trivia question: what important hockey event was played at Meehan and when?
    The 18th annual National Collegiate Ice Hockey Championship was held at Meehan in 1965.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by CornwallAce View Post
      Would you put a big plus in for chairback seats vs bench seating?
      Having food as the first ranking is foolish.

I would rather sit in a place like RPI with an older structure than a bland new place like Lowell or Mankato.

The food has not been good at AIC's place in 3-4 years. But on atmosphere, I'd put S.H. and Bentley above the Olympia.
      I don't think Tsongas Center or Agganis Arena are bland. And I would rather sit and see a game in either instead of an old place like Houston Field House.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        I don't think Tsongas Center or Agganis Arena are bland. And I would rather sit and see a game in either instead of an old place like Houston Field House.

Sean
        There is an appeal to Houston Fieldhouse but Tsongas and Agganis both are terrific new facilities that I'd rather watch a game in if the teams are doing well and the place is packed...but I'd take a loud and full Houston against Union this year over Agganis with how empty it was this year.

Atmosphere, tradition and the pageantry are what make college sports so special.
        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I have not been to enough of the rinks (19#) to evaluate their ranking system, although for those that I have visited, their descriptions seem appropriate to me. I remember joking with a Bentley BoT member at Meehan (#48) when we played there over Thanksgiving break a few years ago that we should dig Meehan up and move it to Bentley's campus. And, this joke leads to today's trivia question: what important hockey event was played at Meehan and when?

I also really like Hart Rink, despite their dismal #52 ranking.
          1965 Frozen Four won by Michigan Tech over Snooks Kelley and the BC Eagles.

Full disclosure - Meehan is my second home. My brother went to Brown, and if I'm not working a Bentley game, I also work for Brown. This past season I did several Brown hockey games on the air, and I've been around the Brown campus for the better part of about 20 years. I grew up up going to games down there in almost all sports.

The best part about that Brown-Bentley game was that I called the game opposite my brother. The people doing stats in front of us were going bananas because it was in stereo sound - we called it almost identically but for different teams.
          Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Hey, good start to our new thread! Love that Meehan story, Dan.

The arena ranking article probably deserves its own thread, but perhaps we can host it for a while, as we are ranked dead last.
            Last edited by Snively65; 04-23-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
              There is an appeal to Houston Fieldhouse but Tsongas and Agganis both are terrific new facilities that I'd rather watch a game in if the teams are doing well and the place is packed...but I'd take a loud and full Houston against Union this year over Agganis with how empty it was this year.

Atmosphere, tradition and the pageantry are what make college sports so special.
              I completely agree.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                The 18th annual National Collegiate Ice Hockey Championship was held at Meehan in 1965.

Sean
                Sorry that I forgot to reply earlier, Sean. But, you did beat our Dan to the answer by a couple of hours. :-)

Comment

Some schedule thoughts:

If I had to guess on the non-cons, we'll see RPI for 2 next year up at HFH, with one in a return trip. It doesn't make a ton of sense for RPI to come out here for 2 games at the JAR when they can play one at the JAR and one more against another team like a Holy Cross or even a BC or Providence or UNH. But if you're playing 2 on the road, it usually indicates a return trip is there.

I will bet a game on Qpac because Rand Pecknold has been a big supporter of Bentley forever, and he goes way back with Soderquist. I will also bet on the budding rivalry with Harvard; Harvard can schedule Bentley on the right night and sell tickets. To the end game at Harvard, it makes sense because they're selling tickets to something they would've otherwise not sold anything to. If they get booed out of their building, hey, they can laugh it to the bank.

That leaves a 4th team, but I have no idea. It'll be a big team from the west, since Bentley likes those road trips. That, unfortunately, rules out Hockey East this year.

If any of this was stated prior, apologies - I wasn't really reading through earlier thoughts too in depth
                  Last edited by eXcSports; 04-25-2014, 07:00 PM.
                  Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                    Some schedule thoughts:

If I had to guess on the non-cons, we'll see RPI for 2 next year up at HFH, with one in a return trip. It doesn't make a ton of sense for RPI to come out here for 2 games at the JAR when they can play one at the JAR and one more against another team like a Holy Cross or even a BC or Providence or UNH. But if you're playing 2 on the road, it usually indicates a return trip is there.

I will bet a game on Qpac because Rand Pecknold has been a big supporter of Bentley forever, and he goes way back with Soderquist. I will also bet on the budding rivalry with Harvard; Harvard can schedule Bentley on the right night and sell tickets. To the end game at Harvard, it makes sense because they're selling tickets to something they would've otherwise not sold anything to. If they get booed out of their building, hey, they can laugh it to the bank.

That leaves a 4th team, but I have no idea. It'll be a big team from the west, since Bentley likes those road trips. That, unfortunately, rules out Hockey East this year.

If any of this was stated prior, apologies - I wasn't really reading through earlier thoughts too in depth
                    2 @ Penn State. Wild guess.
                    Last edited by schiegs; 04-25-2014, 07:59 PM.
                    Bentley University Hockey
                    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                      2 @ Penn State. Wild guess.
                      I like those two games! It certainly makes sense budgetwise to play two-game series away on any weekend. So, maybe we would see Penn State come to the JAR for a game in 2015-2016.

Comment

Couple things..

-Your rink is right next to Russo's, and within a stones throw of several awesome bars. Big pluses.
                        -You should get your rich alums to build a rink on Moody Street. Would be awesome for pregame.
                        -On the topic of bad rinks, I'm hoping you guys host Merrimack this year. Now that I live in Watertown I'd really like to get over there for a matchup with my alma mater.
                        -Would also like if you guys would host some afternoon games or Sunday games this year, would be pretty easy for me to duck over for those too.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                          Couple things..

-Your rink is right next to Russo's, and within a stones throw of several awesome bars. Big pluses.
                          -You should get your rich alums to build a rink on Moody Street. Would be awesome for pregame.
                          -On the topic of bad rinks, I'm hoping you guys host Merrimack this year. Now that I live in Watertown I'd really like to get over there for a matchup with my alma mater.
                          -Would also like if you guys would host some afternoon games or Sunday games this year, would be pretty easy for me to duck over for those too.
                          The JAR is about 2.7 miles from Bentley's campus and about 2.5 miles to the bars on Moody Street, where there would never be space for a hockey rink. Moreover, Waltham already has a hockey rink on Trapelo Road, just off Rt 128. If there is ever another rink constructed in Waltham, it will be built on the south end of Bentley's campus, off Beaver Street.

Comment

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                            Some schedule thoughts:

If I had to guess on the non-cons, we'll see RPI for 2 next year up at HFH, with one in a return trip. It doesn't make a ton of sense for RPI to come out here for 2 games at the JAR when they can play one at the JAR and one more against another team ....
                            According to RPI schedule now out, we will play two at Houston Field House on 24-25 October. I will try to make the Friday night game.

Comment

Article on new recruit (F) Drew Callin.
                              http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=11533

and (F) Andrew McDonald.
                              http://web.ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=2456
                              Last edited by boblav1; 04-29-2014, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                                Article on new recruit (F) Drew Callin.
                                http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=11533

and (F) Andrew McDonald.
                                http://web.ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=2456
                                So, when are these two arriving at Bentley, this year?

Comment

Working...
                                X