Bentley Falcons 2014-2015: If You Build It, They Will Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
    I would support more OOC games too. I wonder if the league doesn't because they know how difficult it can be for AHA to schedule these OOC games, especially away.
    Good point about travel costs. But, in Bentley's case, it as been cheaper in recent years for the Falcons to visit UML, BU, NU, and Merrimack than all of our AHA competition except for Holy Cross, and travel to UMass-Amherst was cheaper than many AHA foes. Travel to Orono, Maine, was obviously more expensive. We have yet to play BC, PC, UNH, UVM, and Notre Dame. And, I was surprised that we are not playing at least one game this coming season with our former AHA rival UConn.

My guess is that Hockey East teams are reluctant to play AHA teams because they have little to gain and potentially much to lose in the PWR, given the standings of the two conferences.

I think that the western AHA teams offer their ECAC rivals much better competition in OOC play, notwithstanding the past two NC teams.

Comment

Re: Bentley Falcons 2014-2015: If You Build It, They Will Come

I'm honestly surprised teams come out to CO at least one weekend a year and don't pick up a OOC game against either CC or DU...

I would support more OOC games too. I wonder if the league doesn't because they know how difficult it can be for AHA to schedule these OOC games, especially away.
      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
        I'm honestly surprised teams come out to CO at least one weekend a year and don't pick up a OOC game against either CC or DU...
        I'm sure most AHA teams would love that.... as would pretty much any team traveling to Colorado Springs. Problem is, there needs to be another team in CO willing to take the game. Not sure DU/CC are stoked about fitting a Bentley/AIC/Mercuhurst into their schedule every year.

Also, trips to AFA have often been a two game set already. Fitting in a third on a single trip is not feasible.
        Bentley University Hockey
        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post

Also, trips to AFA have often been a two game set already. Fitting in a third on a single trip is not feasible.
          For Bentley (and the other Eastern pod teams before the pods were eliminated this year). 2 or 3 of the 6 'Western' teams went to AFA for a one game series each year.
          Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
          College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
          Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
          Men's Frozen Four 2010
          Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
          Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Sorry, I meant for the weekends where teams only went out for one game. Yeah, I know. Neither DU or CC want to lose to an AHA team again...

For Bentley (and the other Eastern pod teams before the pods were eliminated this year). 2 or 3 of the 6 'Western' teams went to AFA for a one game series each year.
            RIT Tigers

Comment

Sorry, I meant for the weekends where teams only went out for one game. Yeah, I know. Neither DU or CC want to lose to an AHA team again...
              But, the real issue is that the AHA is a cost containment conference. So, yes, every other year about half of the AHA teams visit Air Force for two games, but I do not see any likelihood that any AHA teams ever make a separate trip to play DU and/or CC, as much as I would like to see that happen, as it would be an excuse for me to fly out an extra weekend to visit my brother, who lives in Lakewood.

But, I really would like to see Bentley get invites to play the remaining HE teams that they have not yet had the opportunity to humiliate.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                But, the real issue is that the AHA is a cost containment conference. So, yes, every other year about half of the AHA teams visit Air Force for two games, but I do not see any likelihood that any AHA teams ever make a separate trip to play DU and/or CC, as much as I would like to see that happen, as it would be an excuse for me to fly out an extra weekend to visit my brother, who lives in Lakewood.

But, I really would like to see Bentley get invites to play the remaining HE teams that they have not yet had the opportunity to humiliate.
                Bentley, and several other AHA teams don't need to make long travel to face quality N/C opponents. Between HE, ECAC, and the eastern half of the BIG-10, there are enough high quality, name brand teams to schedule and keep the travel to a few ugly bus rides.

Comment

Bentley, and several other AHA teams don't need to make long travel to face quality N/C opponents. Between HE, ECAC, and the eastern half of the BIG-10, there are enough high quality, name brand teams to schedule and keep the travel to a few ugly bus rides.
                  Exactly you guys need to remember there are more teams in the east then there are in the mid-west and west. Heck you only play 4 out of the 5 teams in NY, you can't tell me you wouldn't be able to work out some sort of scheduling to visit the North Country to play either Clarkson or St. Lawrence or to the capitol region to play either RPI or Union. These are normal opponents RIT plays every year in hockey for out of conference games. Granted we are in the same DIII league in every other sport but doesn't mean your school can't put forth the effort to try and schedule them.

Comment

Originally posted by ritBLKnORGsuit View Post
                    Exactly you guys need to remember there are more teams in the east then there are in the mid-west and west. Heck you only play 4 out of the 5 teams in NY, you can't tell me you wouldn't be able to work out some sort of scheduling to visit the North Country to play either Clarkson or St. Lawrence or to the capitol region to play either RPI or Union. These are normal opponents RIT plays every year in hockey for out of conference games. Granted we are in the same DIII league in every other sport but doesn't mean your school can't put forth the effort to try and schedule them.
                    I can promise you it is NOT an issue of AHA teams failing to "put forth the effort to try and schedule them." No statement could be further from the truth.

Comment

Bentley has played RPI a few times, and beaten them once, I think. And, we will be back at Houston Field House for two the weekend of 24-25 October, and then at Penn State for two the following weekend. Bentley also opens their season at Quinnipiac on 11 October, and gets a third shot in consecutive seasons to beat Harvard on 21 November.

Comment

Canisius and Niagara did that last year, playing Denver and Air Force on the same weekend. But that was under the old system where they had three games with Air Force. I'm glad the schedule has moved away from having three games against teams in your pod. The pods are no more, thankfully.

Comment

I can promise you it is NOT an issue of AHA teams failing to "put forth the effort to try and schedule them." No statement could be further from the truth.
                          My bad on using a poor choice of words. I was just saying that your team has a multitude of teams that are within a days bus ride available to them that your school could be missing out on. It's not like the mid-western and western schools where teams have to often fly to play their conference opponents on a regular basis.

Comment

My bad on using a poor choice of words. I was just saying that your team has a multitude of teams that are within a days bus ride available to them that your school could be missing out on. It's not like the mid-western and western schools where teams have to often fly to play their conference opponents on a regular basis.
                            Me thinks weather and condition of the roads might play some into how they schedule games north and west of Springfield. Driving the Mass Pike or Thru-Way past the Berkshire's and beyond in winter can be down right sucky at times
                            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Hey some fun reading to get '14-'15 kicked back up:

http://jarpride.com/2014/06/23/histo...brett-gensler/

http://jarpride.com/2014/06/24/histo...-branden-komm/

http://jarpride.com/2014/06/25/histo...3-alex-grieve/

http://jarpride.com/2014/06/26/histo...eve-weinstein/
                              Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Good stuff, Dan.

Minor typo on Komm's third paragraph regarding the 11 wins in his junior season, which was 2012-2013, not 2011-2012.

So, who will replace Gensler at right wing on the first line and first power play unit? Max French?

Will any of the new recruits break into the first two lines or top two D pairs?

Does Bacon shift from fourth line center to a wing on second or third line?

Anyone have an edge on goaltending duties, especially considering that Komm played about every game the past four years?

So, to begin discussion, assuming that all of these guys are back:

Switzer-Grieve-French
                                Suter-Gladiuk-Deresky
                                Krause-Kubiak-Reardon
                                ?-Bacon-?
                                ?-?-?

Weinstein-Blomquist
                                Berry-Donners
                                O'Brien-Maher
                                ?-?

Dougherty-Antoni-?

Comment

Working...