Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014 Offseason: Resurrection's Over....Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014 Offseason: Resurrection's Over....Now What?

I thought college transfers like Collier had to sit out a year. Someone help me out on this.

In any event, this guy was an absolute stud on two Malden Catholic state championship teams and was considered a blue-chip recruit. IDK what happened with him during the first year of the DQ regime at bu. Maybe DQ just trying to put his own brand on things over there. And I don't think JM would have pulled the trigger on this without getting a green light from former teammate Paul Filipe, whose kid plays for MC and is in the NU pipeline.

If Collier is anything like the player he was at MC, this could turn out to be a significant get.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

he cant play this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
        Talking to another poster, it seems that when Collier was cut, Quinn did not put a restriction of where he could go, and he would not have to sit a year. In addition I don't believe he'd be added to the team and announced as a new player if he was a year away. I thought he couldn't play for a year either, but what I've seen and read today indicates otherwise.
        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

That's something if true. I've never heard of a non-grad student being able to play immediately, including players who were cut previously. I did a bit of poking around the NCAA transfer rules, and while there is a exemption where the previous school can allow the player to transfer and play immediately, the big revenue sports (Football, basketball, men's hockey) are specifically disallowed from it. I'd be interested to hear how it happened, not that we'll ever know.
          Last edited by TheRevengeance; 08-29-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
            Talking to another poster, it seems that when Collier was cut, Quinn did not put a restriction of where he could go, and he would not have to sit a year. In addition I don't believe he'd be added to the team and announced as a new player if he was a year away. I thought he couldn't play for a year either, but what I've seen and read today indicates otherwise.
            I'm still puzzled. I've always been under the impression that sitting out a year was a set-in-stone NCAA rule not subject to negotiation between the losing and gaining schools. I'm aware there are exemptions but they're narrowly drawn and I don't see how they'd apply in this situation. Interesting.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              Yes, he can.

Did you read bu's release agreement as carefully as JM and his staff? Did you also get confirmation from Quinn concerning his status?

We still remember your call on Jamie Oleksiak I know you have great sources of opinions and sometimes facts, but no one is right all the time

Comment

Wonder if this has any relation to Belonger. The staff could have just confirmed in the last few weeks they would have Collier available this year, which led to Belonger feeling he didn't have a spot and leaving. Pure speculation of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  I'm still puzzled. I've always been under the impression that sitting out a year was a set-in-stone NCAA rule not subject to negotiation between the losing and gaining schools. I'm aware there are exemptions but they're narrowly drawn and I don't see how they'd apply in this situation. Interesting.
                  Agree interesting. Why don't we hear of this happening more often? What does a coach have to gain by forcing a kid to sit a year if they leave on good terms.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                    Wonder if this has any relation to Belonger. The staff could have just confirmed in the last few weeks they would have Collier available this year, which led to Belonger feeling he didn't have a spot and leaving. Pure speculation of course.
                    Um, Belonger sucked. He was described as a power forward, but somehow went his whole freshmen year without taking one penalty. he had no offensive game, no physical game, was blah on the walls, and could not keep up with the play. He could have left and Collier not come and they would still be a better team.

Though I will be jealous of him come February when its freezing here, and he is lounging by a pool in AZ. So, probably a smart move by him in the end.
                    DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                      The answer is probably-maybe. From what I understand, Belonger worked out hard this summer and planned to return. On Aug 22 , he called JM to tell him that he was transferring to ASU where he thought he'd get more ice time. That was really thoughtful of him to wait until late August. He must have known that he was on the fifth line and would be scrapping for PT this season. He may also have been aware of Collier's status, but only he can answer that question. I suspect that the coaches were more disappointed with when he chose to act than the fact that he was leaving. Note that Collier will wear Belonger's #16, FWIW

If this was a "trade" I'd say we got the better deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by HHound View Post
                        Yes, he can.

Did you read bu's release agreement as carefully as JM and his staff? Did you also get confirmation from Quinn concerning his status?

We still remember your call on Jamie Oleksiak I know you have great sources of opinions and sometimes facts, but no one is right all the time
                        100% guaranteed he cant play. Quinn has no say what so ever, on whether he can play or where he can transfer to. none

Comment

Collier cut from BU
                          Aren't there some sort of weasel words in the NCAA about the player having no choice about leaving the program?
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                            Collier cut from BU
                            Aren't there some sort of weasel words in the NCAA about the player having no choice about leaving the program?
                            not even close

Comment

As of 4 months ago there was no waiver to allow you to play immediately when transferring between D1 Men's Hockey teams (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...-policy-change). As much as I hope that did change, it certainly would have been reported somewhere so I don't believe HHound's conclusions about the situation are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                                As of 4 months ago there was no waiver to allow you to play immediately when transferring between D1 Men's Hockey teams (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...-policy-change). As much as I hope that did change, it certainly would have been reported somewhere so I don't believe HHound's conclusions about the situation are correct.
                                I agree that it seems as though it would be impossible to transfer and play right away, but at the same time isn't it also completely against NCAA regulations to announce an incoming player before it's in writing and approved through all of the proper channels?

Comment

Working...
                                X