Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2014 Offseason: Resurrection's Over....Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2014 Offseason: Resurrection's Over....Now What?

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
    The list of recruits looks great but how do we fare with other HE schools?
    I don't have the time or inclination to track this sort of thing in detail. But my general impression is that NU, bu and ND are kicking butt. UConn less so but making its presence felt. I don't see all that much about bc but I think we can safely assume they're more than holding their own.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      I don't have the time or inclination to track this sort of thing in detail. But my general impression is that NU, bu and ND are kicking butt. UConn less so but making its presence felt. I don't see all that much about bc but I think we can safely assume they're more than holding their own.
      Every bu recruit is a "big name" "great get" "high character" individual whose identity is leaked out with great fanfare. It has been that way for years. ND gets quality players, but is far more subdued, at least in the media. They both recruit more players thant they need, because they "expect" to lose a couple of player each year to the pro ranks. Believe it or not, that's a part of their pitch.

In those years when the coaches find the right combinations and systems for their type of players, there is some success, much rejoicing and lots of arrogance emanating from the campuses and spilling over to the message boards. Given their recruiting hoopla, their fans think their teams should be in the "Frozen Four" each spring.

BC, OTOH, gets big name recruits (or pilfers a few from elsewhere jg) and finds a way to get them to play together as a team. Hopefully Jimmy can watch and learn from the BC system and politely ignore the bu philosophy.
      Last edited by HHound; 09-18-2014, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
        BC, OTOH, gets big name recruits (or pilfers a few from elsewhere jg)
        Said the fan of the program that pilfered Cody Ferriero from BC (In August no less... how'd that work out for ya?) and Kevin Roy from Brown. That's just two off the top of my head.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
          Said the fan of the program that pilfered Cody Ferriero from BC (In August no less... how'd that work out for ya?) and Kevin Roy from Brown. That's just two off the top of my head.
          To be fair he did say he wanted Madigan to "watch and learn" to pilfer recruits. I assume he is just happy Jim is following his direction.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
            Kevin Roy I'll give you. But they day NU pilfers a player from BC is the day the world stops spinning. The pilfer chart doesn't flow that way. BU, BC get Gaudreaus from NU, NU get the Colliers and Ferrero's from BU and BC. The kids that they no longer want.
            The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
              Ferriero really asked to be pilfered as he decommitted from BC and reopened his recruiting. IIRC he had appointments set up to visit several HEA schools including UNH and PC until he met with Cronin.

Let's test your short term memory: Do the names Sonny Milano, Jeremy Bracco or Miles Wood ring a bell?

The coaches at either end of Comm. Ave. probably have drones in the air watching Ryan Donato in case he encounters any "disappointment" on his way to Harvard (which has no NLI).
              Last edited by HHound; 09-18-2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

and gaudreau didn't open his recruitment after cronin left/was shown the door? nice AD you have there! someone mentioned nu stealing roy from brown. so just get off your high horse.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  and gaudreau didn't open his recruitment after cronin left/was shown the door? nice AD you have there! someone mentioned nu stealing roy from brown. so just get off your high horse.
                  Our AD is a moron. I'll grant you that. There are a host of reasons why we call Roby "Hockey Assassin". It was he who let Gaudreau out of his LOI with zero restrictions on where he could play. Even before that happened there were coaches circling our recruits like buzzards. BC, if you recall, York declined to give Garret Haar a scholarship earlier that summer. He was a highly rated D, but they were holding the scholarship (and a future scholarship for his brother) in the hope they'd get Gaudreau. Clever move that got them the NC while NU's program was nearly destroyed.

The Roy brothers didn't break their NLI as Brown didn't use one. They followed the coach who recruited them to Brown when he moved to NU. Szmatula wanted to do the same with the Denver coach, but the HA and Madigan chose not to make the same mistake twice and enforced his NLI

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                    Ferriero really asked to be pilfered as he decommitted from BC and reopened his recruiting. IIRC he had appointments set up to visit several HEA schools including UNH and PC until he met with Cronin.

Let's test your short term memory: Do the names Sonny Milano, Jeremy Bracco or Miles Wood ring a bell?

The coaches at either end of Comm. Ave. probably have drones in the air watching Ryan Donato in case he encounters any "disappointment" on his way to Harvard (which has no NLI).
                    I know Ferreiro wasn't pilfered (some kids flip flop). I say that because you talk like the BC guys were. It's OK for NU, but not for BC. I get it.

Sonny Milano really asked to be pilfered as he decommitted from ND and reopened his recruiting. No LOI.
                    Miles Wood did not get by admissions at Brown.
                    Jeremy Bracco... no LOI.

BTW, none of these kids are on the BC roster. Quite possible that of the three, only Wood will make it to the Heights. Milano will never be here (he flip flopped twice).
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

jeremy wilson had a better chance of getting into Harvard than Bracco did.

Comment

i can't wait till 2024 when you're still arguing about this!

and unh will still think that the only reason gaudreau didn't go to durham was because of admissions.

Comment

Originally posted by fivehole12 View Post
                          ...you talk like the bc guys....
                          ouch!!!!!!!
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                            i can't wait till 2024 when you're still arguing about this!

Hopefully jg etc. will be distant memories and we will be arguing whether BC or NU has the stronger program.

Comment

With media day right around the corner (Monday) and polls being released across the board, I decided to take a stab at preseason predictions myself. Polls may be dumb, but they are fun to put together

1- Providence: The most complete team. Arguably the best goalie in the country. I expect Jankowski to develop further, plus top scorer Mauermann is back.
                              2- Boston College: Questions persist about who will put the puck in the net, but they will score their share. They have the best defensive corps in the country, IMHO, may not give up more than 2 goals a game. Demko is a top 3 goalie in the conference.
                              3- Northeastern: the Huskies return 9 of their top 10 scorers, in addition to Clay Witt, who completes the trifecta of top HEA goalies. The NU powerplay will improve (I believe). I expect Roy to explode this season, and Szmatula will be right behind him. Secondary scoring will be plentiful for the Hounds.
                              4- boston university: Quick rebound for the Terriers. The top American since Mike Modano will certainly help. Uber talented group coming in, increasing skill throughout the lineup. O'Connor is solid in net, and new recruit LaCouvee can push him if he falters. Over-reliance on mostly freshmen would have me worried, but the overall talent level puts them above the next few teams.
                              5- Vermont: my surprise team this season. Hoffmann proved he can be a legit D1 goalie, though Santaguida will likely get some time rotating in. Reynolds back from injury will cushion the blow of losing McCarthy, plus Puskarich is the real deal as a scorer. Offensively talented blue line as well will help pick up some scoring slack from the forwards.
                              6- Maine: Most underrated player in Hockey East in Devin Shore. He and Hutton will carry the load offensively, but after that, secondary scoring questions exist. Losing Lomberg will hurt them. Biggest question exists in net, after losing Ouelette- can Morris step up and be "the guy?"
                              7- Notre Dame: Similar to UNH below, the lost a ton of scoring from last season, in addition to their 4 year starter in net. Ranked above the next two teams because I expect Petersen to be a stud, plus they retain talent in Tynan, Lucia, Hinostroza, and Russo
                              8- UMass-Lowell: Lost the best goalie in the nation, their top defenceman, and one of their top offensive weapons. LOTS of new faces coming to the River Hawks this season, plus no clear successor to Hellebuyck in net. I trust Norm's system, but wonder if the talent drop off will be too much.
                              9- New Hampshire: Lost the most scoring in Hockey East from last season (61.1%), two of their top 3 goalies, plus lost their goalie in the offseason due to an off-the-field altercation. They seem to have a plan in place for goal, accelerating recruit Tirone for the 2nd semester, but that might be too late to save the season.
                              10- Merrimack: Lost top scorer and leader in Mike Collins, and lost their top recruit before the academic year even began. They get the nod over UMass due to the difference in goalie- I trust Tirronen over Mastalerz.
                              11- UMass: Lost their top 3 scorers. Getting Montour for the second semester will be a needed boost. I expect Yevenko to develop nicely as a defender. Mastalerz returns in net, but I just don't see the Minutemen scoring much.
                              12- UConn: The new guy. Lost their top 3 scorers in addition to their top goalie. Cav will get them up the ranks soon enough, but they will toil at the bottom for a couple of years.

And that's it. Open to criticism, anxious for puck drop. Go NU.
                              "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                                With media day right around the corner (Monday) and polls being released across the board, I decided to take a stab at preseason predictions myself. Polls may be dumb, but they are fun to put together

1- Providence: ...
                                2- Boston College: ...
                                3- Northeastern: ...
                                4- boston university: ...
                                5- Vermont: my surprise team this season...
                                6- Maine: ...
                                7- Notre Dame: ...
                                8- UMass-Lowell: ...
                                9- New Hampshire: ...
                                10- Merrimack: ...
                                11- UMass: ...
                                12- UConn: ...

And that's it. Open to criticism, anxious for puck drop. Go NU.
                                Seems like a pretty solid analysis to me (bad omen for you ). The one change I would suggest is dropping UVM from one to three places, because the "surprise" with UVM is almost always their under-performance. Who knows, maybe this will be the year they show up where they ought to.
                                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X