Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Championship: Union vs. Minnesota (Choaches stay out of it!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
    What's your address? I'll send you my wife.
    "Take my wife... please."
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Re: National Championship: Union vs. Minnesota (Choaches stay out of it!)

Gophers win tonight and it won't be close. It's opposite day. Hello.
      never up, never in!

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        which pretty much negates any contribution, MN has made to the US

Hey, I know you are just trying to be funny, but Yanni kicks arse. If everyone in the world all liked the same things, the world would be a boring place.

And I hate to be all serious, and I guess after I post this I think its going to be time to start drinking! hehe But University of Minnesota people should be proud of Yanni and all that he has accomplished. Very few musicians can match his accomplishments and success.

And honestly, you've probably enjoyed some of his music without even knowing it was him, with his compositions being used for sporting events like the Olympics and other big sporting events, like the US Opens in Tennis and Golf.

I'm not telling you or anyone for that matter that they should go out and buy a Yanni album or that they should be ashamed if they don't like his music, just saying that he's a VERY accomplished artist and deserves better than to be made fun of.

Make fun of SPAM, or of me and my love of all things Minnesota, or whatever, but Yanni's a real person and I'm sure he has feelings, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          With a good, close game tonight, this will have been a memorable FF.
          !
          You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Union scares me.

Go Gophers Go!
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
              Hey, I know you are just trying to be funny, but Yanni kicks arse. If everyone in the world all liked the same things, the world would be a boring place.

And I hate to be all serious, and I guess after I post this I think its going to be time to start drinking! hehe But University of Minnesota people should be proud of Yanni and all that he has accomplished. Very few musicians can match his accomplishments and success.

And honestly, you've probably enjoyed some of his music without even knowing it was him, with his compositions being used for sporting events like the Olympics and other big sporting events, like the US Opens in Tennis and Golf.

I'm not telling you or anyone for that matter that they should go out and buy a Yanni album or that they should be ashamed if they don't like his music, just saying that he's a VERY accomplished artist and deserves better than to be made fun of.

Make fun of SPAM, or of me and my love of all things Minnesota, or whatever, but Yanni's a real person and I'm sure he has feelings, you know.
              I shan't dispute your love of Yanni, nor will I share it. Go Gophers!
              You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post

The Top Selling Music Videos of ALL-TIME

1. Michael Jackson's - "Thriller"

2. Yanni's - "Yanni Live at the Acropolis"

Whether you like him or not, you gotta respect THAT!!!

If Yanni was the ONLY musician we could claim, then maybe it'd be easier to joke about, but he's not.

Same as if our Bass Fishing Natl Title or our Dance Team Natl and World Titles or our Quiz Bowl Natl Titles or our Chess Natl Title or our Solar Rayce Car Natl and World Titles were the only Natl Titles we could claim, THEN it would be easy to poke fun at all of those things. But they are just IN ADDITION to Natl Titles in all 4 of the major sports, football, baseball, hockey and basketball, along with wrestling, golf and track and women's hockey as well.

Now here is hoping we can add one more Natl Title to the Trophy case tonight!!!
                Last edited by FredsDeadFriend; 04-12-2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                  Believe in whatever you want as long as you believe in the gophers
                  Go Gophers

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    Question - why is it that every woman I meet from Minnesota a georgious, tall, blue eyed blond with a Nordic sounding last name and a happy disposition? Is there any way you can send some of those good looking women back east our way, especially to Boston? I think we have a monopoly on the ugliest women in the world here. Also, can we borrow your cheerleaders next year. We don't have any and if we tried to form a team, I am scared we would frighten all the fans away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbCqsEAGvpU
                    Wow. I'm sure you're such a prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      Question - why is it that every woman I meet from Minnesota a georgious, tall, blue eyed blond with a Nordic sounding last name and a happy disposition? Is there any way you can send some of those good looking women back east our way, especially to Boston? I think we have a monopoly on the ugliest women in the world here. Also, can we borrow your cheerleaders next year. We don't have any and if we tried to form a team, I am scared we would frighten all the fans away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbCqsEAGvpU
                      Wow. I'm not even sure how to respond to this, but I shall give it a valiant attempt.

Having spent a lot of time in Minnesota myself on business, I think you're exaggerating a teensy bit -- scratch that, a LOT -- and you're looking in the wrong places for women. Usually anyone who posts something like this isn't exactly a prize to be won themselves. The best part about being an RPI alumnus and going back there is that there are a lot of good-looking people present, and I can actually hold intelligent, lengthy conversations with them.
                      Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Hey, I know you are just trying to be funny, but Yanni kicks arse.
                        Yanni may make enjoyable music now and then, but there's nothing about his style of music that evokes the words "kick arse."

Also, i see you're still going through your 20-something Anglophile phase. I thought you folks were Germanic descent up there.

Comment

The Top Selling Music Videos of ALL-TIME

1. Michael Jackson's - "Thriller"

2. Yanni's - "Yanni Live at the Acropolis"

Whether you like him or not, you gotta respect THAT!!!

If Yanni was the ONLY musician we could claim, then maybe it'd be easier to joke about, but he's not.

Same as if our Bass Fishing Natl Title or our Dance Team Natl and World Titles or our Quiz Bowl Natl Titles or our Chess Natl Title or our Solar Rayce Car Natl and World Titles were the only Natl Titles we could claim, THEN it would be easy to poke fun at all of those things. But they are just IN ADDITION to Natl Titles in all 4 of the major sports, football, baseball, hockey and basketball, along with wrestling, golf and track and women's hockey as well.

Now here is hoping we can add one more Natl Title to the Trophy case tonight!!!
                          It's been pretty funny seeing Minnesotans work so hard to boast about what their state has contributed to our country and to the world, as they (some of them) always seem to want to do, while Union's fans have been graciously resisting the urge point out a thing or two New Yorkers have accomplished over the years.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                            It's been pretty funny seeing Minnesotans work so hard to boast about what their state has contributed to our country and to the world, as they (some of them) always seem to want to do, while Union's fans have been graciously resisting the urge point out a thing or two New Yorkers have accomplished over the years.
                            In our defense Burd, we have no homegrown talent on our hockey team, so we have to dig extra deep to find something to brag about.
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              Without the sacrifice of the 1st Minnesota, the Confederates would have taken the high ground on Cemetary Hill, and the outcome of Getysburg would have likely been very different. The 1st Minnesota took over 80% casualties while holding off the confederate advance as they were outnumbered 5-to-1. They filled a big hole in the Union's defensive line and held out until reinforcements arrived.

If the Union had lost at Getysburg, there was nothing between Lee's army and Washington DC. Not to mention, with a decisive victory in the North, the Confederates would have likely received the aid from Europe they were lookong for.

I'd say their regiment's sacrifice was a pretty significant factor in the battle, and thus the war.
                              Eh it was ok .. Vermont was there to save the day.

On the morning of July 3, members of the 16th regiment were stationed as pickets forward of Cemetery Hill. In the afternoon, after a two-hour artillery duel, Confederate General Robert E. Lee launched what has become known Pickett's Charge. The Vermont pickets were withdrawn, and as the Confederates approached Cemetery Hill, the three Vermont regiments flanked the Confederate troops first flanking Pickett's division by wheeling two units to the right and then doing the same to two detached Confederate brigades by wheeling two regiments to the left.[1] Stannard's brigade inflicted severe casualties on the advancing Confederate regiments and forcing some of Pickett's men to redeploy covering their right flank. History recalls this battle as the high-water mark of the Confederacy. Three years later, at St. Albans, Vermont, General George G. Meade, commanding the Army of the Potomac at Gettysburg, said "there was no individual body of men who rendered greater service at a critical moment than the comparatively raw troops commanded by General Stannard."[1]

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                                In our defense Burd, we have no homegrown talent on our hockey team, so we have to dig extra deep to find something to brag about.
                                True. But Yanni deep?

Comment

Working...
                                X