Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Combining D3 men's and women's championship dilemma

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    The committee was not in favor of teams staying at the training center in L.P.
    Then the committee is filled with idiots.

There is no reason not to like it, not the least of which is costs. I thought the NCAA is all about not spending money on D3...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      Then the committee is filled with idiots.

There is no reason not to like it, not the least of which is costs. I thought the NCAA is all about not spending money on D3...
      They are afraid of confrontations between teams that are billeted in too close proximity to each other. They don't trust student-athletes to behave as responsible adults. That is also why the require that teams that have lost be whisked off the site so that they don't misbehave after they are eliminated from the tournament.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        They are afraid of confrontations between teams that are billeted in too close proximity to each other. They don't trust student-athletes to behave as responsible adults. That is also why the require that teams that have lost be whisked off the site so that they don't misbehave after they are eliminated from the tournament.
        Evacuation is not a requirement, but a team choice...and usually is based on proximity - i.e. Oswego departure from Lake Placid the years they did not make the final was Gosek's call...this year they stayed in Lewiston that night due to the drive time...no one told them to go home....
        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
          Evacuation is not a requirement, but a team choice...and usually is based on proximity - i.e. Oswego departure from Lake Placid the years they did not make the final was Gosek's call...this year they stayed in Lewiston that night due to the drive time...no one told them to go home....
          The Norwich men stayed the night and left the next day all three years that they lost in the Semifinals.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            From experience, there is zero tolerance for any misbehavior at the Training Center. No, I didn't do anything wrong, they do spell it out for you how they have world class athletes training there and to be respectful. If a player becomes unruly then I blame the coaching staff for not having control.
            LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

Maybe its because the training center is in the middle of nowhere?

For the record, it was pointed out to me yesterday that the schools were not in favor of being in the boondocks and the committee was relaying their concerns.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Maybe its because the training center is in the middle of nowhere?

For the record, it was pointed out to me yesterday that the schools were not in favor of being in the boondocks and the committee was relaying their concerns.
                When you live in this area, Old Military Road, is really not considered the middle of nowhere!

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                  When you live in this area, Old Military Road, is really not considered the middle of nowhere!
                  It's the shortcut to Potsdam. Took it a lot back in the day.

But outside of the trees, what is within a 15 minute walk?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It's the shortcut to Potsdam. Took it a lot back in the day.

But outside of the trees, what is within a 15 minute walk?
                    Although you feel secluded, it is probably less than a fifteen minute walk from the Olympic Arena and even closer to some restaurants: http://www.yellowpages.com/lake-plac...center-3273090

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

D3 Women likely to combine with D1 Women in the near future. Their respective Championships held same weekend and makes perfect sense to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello View Post
                        D3 Women likely to combine with D1 Women in the near future. Their respective Championships held same weekend and makes perfect sense to do so.
                        I know it's been discussed in length and I'd be for it as a one-year trial, but I also hope the D3 women's committee strongly looks at the Lake Placid option for the following year combining with the men, allowing conferences time to plan their schedules accordingly so that the season could be pushed back one week without much interruption.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

I'm really on the fence with this one, and like Prez said go ahead and try it for a year, but keep Lake Placid as a great alternative. I don't think you will get the support like you do in say the Lacrosse Championships. I have a feeling the DIII teams will be treated and seen as the little Mite team playing between periods at an AHL game. You know, that good excuse to get up and use the restrooms and grab a burger. Then again if the NCAA implements this "no re-entry" policy like at Lewiston and sandwich the DIII game between the DI games, maybe.

Just like when they tried combining the men's, Philly would be "okay", Boston for sure, but Tampa Florida? Anaheim California? What happens when the girls go to St. Charles, Mo? A lot of DIII teams around there. You have a hard enough time getting fans to go watch the women's teams at their own home rink, now let's make them travel hundreds of miles away?

The positives for a combined DIII men's and women's weekend outweigh the combined DI/DIII women's weekend by far. The only major positive for DI/DIII is ALL the suit and ties of the NCAA get to have their dinners and drinks together. All those high ranking ego's, I mean people, together at once. Imagine all the good things they can come up with.
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                            I'm really on the fence with this one, and like Prez said go ahead and try it for a year, but keep Lake Placid as a great alternative. I don't think you will get the support like you do in say the Lacrosse Championships. I have a feeling the DIII teams will be treated and seen as the little Mite team playing between periods at an AHL game. You know, that good excuse to get up and use the restrooms and grab a burger. Then again if the NCAA implements this "no re-entry" policy like at Lewiston and sandwich the DIII game between the DI games, maybe.

Just like when they tried combining the men's, Philly would be "okay", Boston for sure, but Tampa Florida? Anaheim California? What happens when the girls go to St. Charles, Mo? A lot of DIII teams around there. You have a hard enough time getting fans to go watch the women's teams at their own home rink, now let's make them travel hundreds of miles away?

The positives for a combined DIII men's and women's weekend outweigh the combined DI/DIII women's weekend by far. The only major positive for DI/DIII is ALL the suit and ties of the NCAA get to have their dinners and drinks together. All those high ranking ego's, I mean people, together at once. Imagine all the good things they can come up with.
                            Now THAT would be a serious smokiyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy room

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post

Idk I can see some positives to having FF in areas where there arne't DIII programs, there are alot of division III schools that have hockey programs out west (true west) but they don't have hockey programs because they're too far from the competition so they play ACHA, if we were to expand our reach I could see a new western division forming and the current western division becoming mid-west
                              http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                                Idk I can see some positives to having FF in areas where there arne't DIII programs, there are alot of division III schools that have hockey programs out west (true west) but they don't have hockey programs because they're too far from the competition so they play ACHA, if we were to expand our reach I could see a new western division forming and the current western division becoming mid-west
                                Stevenson in Maryland calls your bluff...they've had a women's team for two years and no one will take them...
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X