X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Plant #7: Get me off of this planet

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Yay! Vigilante rule!
    I'll get my Uzi and meet you at GM HQ. They've killed tons of kids with cars.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      Really? So I can shoot you and throw the gun in the ocean and I should be acquitted? Sweet!
      The way the story read, drunk bastage hits his kids, he's overcome with grief and kills the man on the spot. After the fact, he comes to his senses, realizes what he's done and chucks his gun into the ocean, sewer, whatever.

What's the point of the penal code? It's to create social and monetary costs to crimes to either prevent them from ever happening or to punish those who do commit them. We know that in moments of intense grief people will do things that they wouldn't normally do, "temporarily insane" perhaps. Assuming this man had no prior violent record he's not likely to repeat this action. Also, given that he just witnessed his two sons get plowed over by a drunken idiot, I could see him being emotionally distraught to the point of actually meeting that temporarily insane marker, such that he's not going to have the capacity to worry about the potential punishment of his actions.

Punishing this man would serve no great purpose, you're not going to prevent such actions in the future.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        The way the story read, drunk bastage hits his kids, he's overcome with grief and kills the man on the spot. After the fact, he comes to his senses, realizes what he's done and chucks his gun into the ocean, sewer, whatever.

What's the point of the penal code? It's to create social and monetary costs to crimes to either prevent them from ever happening or to punish those who do commit them. We know that in moments of intense grief people will do things that they wouldn't normally do, "temporarily insane" perhaps. Assuming this man had no prior violent record he's not likely to repeat this action. Also, given that he just witnessed his two sons get plowed over by a drunken idiot, I could see him being emotionally distraught to the point of actually meeting that temporarily insane marker, such that he's not going to have the capacity to worry about the potential punishment of his actions.

Punishing this man would serve no great purpose, you're not going to prevent such actions in the future.
        Awesome. Let's all take the law into our own hands during grief periods. Perfect.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Lol what!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Hence the meme of the Chicago welfare queen (who never existed)
            I'm with you, but the story of the "real" Chicago welfare queen is actually quite fascinating.
            when I set out in search of Linda Taylor, I hoped to find the real story of the woman who played such an outsize role in American politics—who she was, where she came from, and what her life was like before and after she became the national symbol of unearned prosperity. What I found was a woman who destroyed lives, someone far more depraved than even Ronald Reagan could have imagined. In the 1970s alone, Taylor was investigated for homicide, kidnapping, and baby trafficking. The detective who tried desperately to put her away believes she’s responsible for one of Chicago’s most legendary crimes, one that remains unsolved to this day. Welfare fraud was likely the least of the welfare queen’s offenses.
            I'm still waiting for someone to make a movie about this woman.
            Last edited by geezer; 08-27-2014, 03:23 PM.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Awesome. Let's all take the law into our own hands during grief periods. Perfect.
              Yes, that's exactly what's going to happen, Drama.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post

Lol what!?!?
                What confuses you?

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Sure, and most laws are passed because common sense doesn't prevail in society. I bet there is no way in hell a law is passed after this tragedy.
                  Yeah let's pass another law. Should we pass a law every time someone is an idiot?
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Yeah let's pass another law. Should we pass a law every time someone is an idiot?
                    When it destroys a 9 year old girls life. Yes.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      I'm with you, but the story of the "real" Chicago welfare queen is actually quite fascinating.
                      Interesting indeed.

So, the equivalent of making Nidal Hasan the face of the military to prove the army needs to be dismantled.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You run over and kill my two kids while drunk and I'm there, hope and pray that I have a gun so at least it goes quick.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post

Yeah, you represent the other side of the coin.

Would it hurt to pass common sense laws that make it illegal for a minor to handle an automatic weapon, even with parental consent?

Go ahead and argue that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Interesting indeed.

So, the equivalent of making Nidal Hasan the face of the military to prove the army needs to be dismantled.
                            pretty much. But I think all that was known at the time Reagan picked up the soundbite was the welfare fraud and the many cars.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              When it destroys a 9 year old girls life. Yes.
                              In this case, though, the idea that a 9 year old with an Uzi kills the instructor who showed her how to use it sounds like a homeostatic system.

(I realize that the TX state leg has probably declared "homeostasis" illegal)
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                Yeah, you represent the other side of the coin.

Would it hurt to pass common sense laws that make it illegal for a minor to handle an automatic weapon, even with parental consent?

Go ahead and argue that one.
                                One of the principles of the far right is that common sense and law are always either/or. Don't you realize that as soon as you pass a law people stop using their heads? That's why laws are bad.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X