This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    Just once I'd like to see you stick to the subject. You're the one who talked about "pitiful entitlements"(accompanied by your customary anti-capitalist blather). The fact is we have spent and continue to spend trillions of dollars to help the less fortunate. And have virtually nothing to show for it. And that is unrelated to the use of the term "war" to describe a heightened federal effort against either drugs (what do you know, more anti-capitalist blather?) or terrorism. Also unrelated to whether those programs are desirable or efficacious.
    The point is the war on drugs and the war in Iraq have been far less effective and cost way more money. And yet you support them.

Not sure what would have to happen for you to consider the war on poverty a success? Would we have to completely eliminate poverty in an economic system in which that's not possible?

Comment

• Re: Nice Plant #7: Get me off of this planet

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      At the same time, it would've been better for all involved if the police hadn't shown up looking like they were patrolling in Gaza.
      With all the illegal weaponry out there, I want my police force with as much gear as possible.

And what Slappy said about the people I associate with, have had experiences with, etc. You spouting your stuff about that is like me saying "I was good friends with a brotha who insisted I call him 'my ni**a' when introducing him to others." (my white friends all refer to each other as "my boys," as in "this is Joe, he's my boy.")
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Capitalism is set up so there will always be winners and losers. There will always be a sizable underclass (the world needs ditch diggers).
        Priceless, you seem like a pretty smart person just like most of the people in this thread but this statement above has me a bit befuddled. Are you saying that having a sizable portion of "losers" or "ditch diggers" = capitalism is a zero sum game or this system of government is rigged? What do you mean by your statement there? It seems to me there hasn't been a system of government invented where the results are winners all around (whatever your definition of winner is, I guess I should wait for your definition of both winner and loser).
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          Priceless, you seem like a pretty smart person just like most of the people in this thread but this statement above has me a bit befuddled. Are you saying that having a sizable portion of "losers" or "ditch diggers" = capitalism is a zero sum game or this system of government is rigged? What do you mean by your statement there? It seems to me there hasn't been a system of government invented where the results are winners all around (whatever your definition of winner is, I guess I should wait for your definition of both winner and loser).
          Capitalism, when done right, will always have people above and below average, with a majority being in the middle (nature of the game). In its TRUE UNADULTERATED (cannot stress that enough) form, communism is the only place where everyone is a winner. However, greed (which is, IMO, human nature) ruins that concept in a split second, if not sooner.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty3SArUjgvQ

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                will always have people above and below average
                Wow. What a great mathematical mind.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXUQRc8zW4

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu9...yo-nigga_music

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                      Wow. What a great mathematical mind.
                      But some people fail to grasp that concept. There can't be winners and there can't be losers (the more important of the two). So we give everyone a trophy, eliminate class rank, lower expectations, fail to flunk anyone at Harvard and grade on the curve.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        You're thinking of Ice Cube, the Don Mega.

Ice T is the guy on Law and Order: SVU

Thus concludes today's lesson in gangsta rap.
                        Without a Vanilla Ice joke, too.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          That looks like 0 - 3. I don't think we've won any of them
                          The War on Poverty was going petty well until we defunded it. The Gini coefficient went down from the 30's through the ramp up to Vietnam and the American middle class was created. It's soared since, with the American middle class in being destroyed.

The deep, dark secret of the social programs of the New Deal and the Great Society is that they worked. The antipathy towards them stoked by the top 1% is understandable, since the choice we made as a country was to bring millions out of poverty instead of letting hundreds buy their 10th vacation home. They didn't like that and have used the GOP ever since to drive us back to plutocracy. The sad thing is they used the very people who were most helped -- low income whites -- to reverse the progress and cut their own throats.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-27-2014, 06:23 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This is the result of sensitivity to racism. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-reveals.html

Comment

We have a new Darwin award winner.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1917858
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Unfortunately, by winning, you lose.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X