X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Plant #7: Get me off of this planet

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Even if this robbery thing is true...I do not understand why they didn't at least hint at it earlier. Could have saved some trouble.
    Then the wharrgarbl would have been "THAT MEAN OLD MEDIA IS TRYING TO MAKE HIM LOOK BAD HE IS A SWEET AND INNOCENT ANGEL AND WOULD NEVER DO THAT SEE THIS PICTURE OF HIM HUGGING A BABY!"

****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      NO! WHITEY COPS! WHARRGARBLE!

Even if this robbery thing is true...I do not understand why they didn't at least hint at it earlier. Could have saved some trouble.
      But what are we supposed to do with all of these perfectly good pitchforks and torches???
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Jesus H. Christ, why the hell didn't the cops mention that one sooner? A two year old could do a better job controlling the situation.
        There was talk early on that there was a robbery somewhere. The police chief focused entirely on that today, rather than anything about the confrontation between Brown and Wilson. Last I knew, suspicion of stealing Swiffer wipes wasn't a death penalty offense.

This chief seems like the kind of guy who would try to extinguish a fire by throwing gasoline on the flames.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
          Then the wharrgarbl would have been "THAT MEAN OLD MEDIA IS TRYING TO MAKE HIM LOOK BAD HE IS A SWEET AND INNOCENT ANGEL AND WOULD NEVER DO THAT SEE THIS PICTURE OF HIM HUGGING A BABY!"

****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't.
          It wouldn't make the shooting itself any more or less legitimate (you can't shoot someone just because they're a suspect under any "use of force" policies I've ever seen), and it definitely would not change the perception that the police overreacted to the resulting protests, but it would make the initial confrontation understandable and change the nature of that initial confrontation from a cop harassing a jaywalking teenager to a cop confronting a suspected robber.

What the fark were the cops thinking holding on to that nugget for a week while the city burned?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            It wouldn't make the shooting itself any more or less legitimate (you can't shoot someone just because they're a suspect under any "use of force" policies I've ever seen), and it definitely would not change the perception that the police overreacted to the resulting protests, but it would make the initial confrontation understandable and change the nature of that initial confrontation from a cop harassing a jaywalking teenager to a cop confronting a suspected robber.

What the fark were the cops thinking holding on to that nugget for a week while the city burned?
            They weren't thinking. They probably couldn't have handled this any worse. Having said that, it does not give the people the right to riot.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
              I'm not sure if it is made up or not but I do think it is a "A look ever there! What's that!!!!!!" kind of thing to distract people. And I do find it oddly convenient that it comes out days later and on the same time as the officer's name is released. Also it seems like every time the police chief speaks the story changes. First Brown is in trouble for walking in the street. Now he's a strong armed robbery suspect.

I do not think it is possible to have a more inept police department.
              The cops released stills of the robbery suspect in the store. The man in the pictures does look remarkably like Michael Brown, even down to the color of the clothing being worn.

Now the question comes down to whether or not Michael Brown was truly struggling with the officer to take his gun. If not, then you likely have a Barney Fife overreacting to the combination of a robbery call and a big, strong black man. If the forensics shows that there was a struggle for the weapon (is that possible to even prove?), then that changes everything entirely. Will it change things enough to quell the masses, however?
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                They weren't thinking. They probably couldn't have handled this any worse. Having said that, it does not give the people the right to riot.
                Of course not. Having said that, the cops still got overzealous in their attempt to play soldier when they started arresting city aldermen and shooting tear gas at reporters.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  The cops released stills of the robbery suspect in the store. The man in the pictures does look remarkably like Michael Brown, even down to the color of the clothing being worn.

Now the question comes down to whether or not Michael Brown was truly struggling with the officer to take his gun. If not, then you likely have a Barney Fife overreacting to the combination of a robbery call and a big, strong black man. If the forensics shows that there was a struggle for the weapon (is that possible to even prove?), then that changes everything entirely. Will it change things enough to quell the masses, however?

The masses will get bored and move on and certain media outlets will stop reporting on it short of admitting that the kid wasn't the angel that mama claimed he was while other media outlets will go on for another week so they can stick it to "Skillets" (for you OP) and even Obama coz he hasn't ended his vacation early to get back to the White House and oversee this.

I'm certainly bored with it now that there aren't stores being broken into and mortars being lobbed.

NEXT!

Comment

Link about the announcement:
                    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...628d0be04.html

And this quote really p*es me off:

Anthony Shahid, an activist, said Jackson's announcement was irresponsible. He said Thursday night was calm, but, “You stir it back up this morning.”

So the people want information, they get information, and then accuse the authorities of stirring the pot? These people are morons.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

How can anyone trust what the Ferguson police say? Police chief says Brown was taken away in an ambulance yet there are photos of his body being loaded into a black SUV. Wow! New colors for ambulances in MO?

And the Govenor of MO is just a ignorant. I quote from his presser today:

I'm not aware of longer term problems.
                      I'm sure the black community of Ferguson no doubt agrees.
                      My Four Favorite teams:
                      RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                      Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Link about the announcement:
                        http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...628d0be04.html

And this quote really p*es me off:

Anthony Shahid, an activist, said Jackson's announcement was irresponsible. He said Thursday night was calm, but, “You stir it back up this morning.”

So the people want information, they get information, and then accuse the authorities of stirring the pot? These people are morons.
                        My favorite part is that the local sheriff apparently released all this without talking to the state patrol first. Apparently the highway patrol captain had no clue about the robbery, either.

Apparently the incompetent local cops don't want to play nice and have a want to have a turf war with their state brethren on top of everything else.
                        Last edited by unofan; 08-15-2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          ...If not, then you likely have a Barney Fife overreacting to the combination of a robbery call and a big, strong black man.
                          I said it earlier, this isn't Andy and Barney running the show in Ferguson, it's Otis.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            My favorite part is that the local sheriff apparently released all this without talking to the state patrol first. Apparently the highway patrol captain had no clue about the robbery, either.
                            It's very likely he wasn't told because the state patrol is not involved in the investigation.
                            They were called in to provide security, not participate in the investigation, which is what he said in his press conference.
                            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                              It's very likely he wasn't told because the state patrol is not involved in the investigation.
                              They were called in to provide security, not participate in the investigation, which is what he said in his press conference.
                              Yeah, and wasn't releasing the name of the cop postponed because of security concerns? I'm sure the people brought in for security purposes could've used a heads up that such information was being released.

Comment

probably too irreverent a question for this discussion, but just what kind of a job description is "activist" anyway? who's the employer? what kind of pay does one get? are there fringe benefits?
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X