• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gopher women's hockey off season thread for summer 2014

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    Sight for sore eyes...

Top line: Kessel, Brandt, Pannek?

Usually the gophs like to include incoming player on the top line to elevate their play in a hurry. I do wonder if Pannek or frankly any other frosh could stay on that bull for more than two seconds.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Jordyn Burns?
      In a meeting of the Power Play Club Board of Directors in May, Coach Frost indicated that only 22 locker sponsors were needed for the upcoming season, not the 23 that the math was indicating.

I don't have any details about Jordyn's departure.
      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

12) Wolfe, Megan D 5-8 SO Eagan, Minn. (Eagan HS)
        I guess if I'd thought about it much beforehand, I would have anticipated a D/F designation for Megan Wolfe as well. If not strictly a "F" given the rest of the D group and others designated D/F. Not that she won't possibly / probably play both roles at some point. Just didn't expect the sole designation as D in her case.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The roster reveals something else interesting Brooky.
          Lists Wolfe as a D.
          That’s what happens when your boss asks you to do something you’ve never done before and you do a good job at it.
          Maybe we’ll eventually see her at F before she is done; she did a good job at that too in the little time she played there.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Sight for sore eyes...

Top line: Kessel, Brandt, Pannek?

Usually the gophs like to include incoming player on the top line to elevate their play in a hurry. I do wonder if Pannek or frankly any other frosh could stay on that bull for more than two seconds.
          I’m hoping they keep Brandt-Menefee-Lorence together. Despite a bit of the sophomore slump early, and missing games, they still managed to pump in 59 goals. I have no doubt they’d all score 20+ if they played every game. It wouldn’t surprise me if one of them got 30.
          If you want to jump start a freshman, how about with Kessel-Bona? She better be quick.

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
          GopherSports.com blurb on men's hockey players drafted in NHL entry draft includes this quote when discussing Jack Ramsey:

"The Chanhassen, Minn., native’s sister, Rachel, is also a captain for the Minnesota women’s hockey program."
          it's been changed, so:
          fixed the blunder, or
          it's true, but waiting for the official announcement
          Last edited by pokechecker; 06-30-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
            The roster reveals something else interesting Brooky.
            Lists Wolfe as a D.
            That’s what happens when your boss asks you to do something you’ve never done before and you do a good job at it.
            Maybe we’ll eventually see her at F before she is done; she did a good job at that too in the little time she played there.
            I agree...that sentiment was why I was moderately surprised by the "D" only designation.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I agree...that sentiment was why I was moderately surprised by the "D" only designation.
              Someone heard you. It's been changed to D/F.

Comment

I'll miss Jordyn Burns. She filled some unglamorous roles during her two years on the team and I thought that she did so quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                  ... I thought that she did so quite well.
                  The opposition only scored 6 times while she was on the ice at even strength last year, which put her tied for 2nd on the team, and she was +11, a nearly 3 to 1 goals for to against ratio, pretty good given her role, and was the only Gopher to not take a penalty last year.
                  She also scored a pretty goal in the Winter Classic, noticing the Mavs left the slot somewhat open, she skated up the slot and Paige Haley fed her a perfect pass that Jordyn buried.
                  Last edited by pokechecker; 07-01-2014, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                    I'll miss Jordyn Burns. She filled some unglamorous roles during her two years on the team and I thought that she did so quite well.
                    Another one bites the dust. In true Gopher fashion, they get a great transfer and give her some $$$ so she thinks she will play, doesn't play and then take the money away the following year and plays a little bit. She quit now because she wasn't playing. Another case of womens hockey losing to Gophers chewing up players and then spitting them out.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gopher women's hockey off season thread for summer 2014

Originally posted by Hockeysbest View Post
                      Another one bites the dust. In true Gopher fashion, they get a great transfer and give her some $$$ so she thinks she will play, doesn't play and then take the money away the following year and plays a little bit. She quit now because she wasn't playing. Another case of womens hockey losing to Gophers chewing up players and then spitting them out.
                      It was better when you included the malapropism in your rant.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeysbest View Post
                        I haven't been a fan for that long, so I don't know the history. I liked Jordyn Burns and was disappointed to hear she's gone. I hope the bad feelings aren't too extreme.

But she played in all 41 games didn't she, on the best team in the country (-sorry, I know I can't say that anymore-). Her playing time was on the lower part of the roster, but somebody's got to be in the lower part of the roster. It doesn't look like she was that abused from this angle. If it was only because of playing time that she quit, she may regret it. Passing up the chance to be a part of another excellent team.

Comment

Indeed...this development leaves me slightly delusioned.
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I read a countdown of XX number of days 'til the start of the 2014-2015 season...somewhere. I assume they'll be getting started around the last weekend of September? Sound about right?
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I read a countdown of XX number of days 'til the start of the 2014-2015 season...somewhere. I assume they'll be getting started around the last weekend of September? Sound about right?
                              I saw one that said it was "officially" 100 days to the start of the season. It was posted June 25, I believe, on Facebook. At the time, I calculated the first weekend of October as the opening weekend (the Penn State/BU/SCSU tourney at Ridder). Haven't seen anything since then, but an exhibition that last weekend in September probably wouldn't count toward "official".

Comment

I think the schedule is online, but not under the GWH page. Try this:
                                http://www.gophersports.com/scoreboard/?sport=w-hockey
                                Also, if you try to download it, you will still only get last years schedule. I hope that gets corrected soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X