Minnesota Gopher women's hockey off season thread for summer 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
    As of now, she is not. She is still experiencing symptoms from concussion, so at this time is focusing on recovery.
    I would hope that she continues her education as she still has to think of her post hockey career. Her name will open many doors for her but the degree is still important.
    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

• Originally posted by kool99 View Post
      Is it possible to red shirt as a senior? Can she come back and play next year if she wants?
      As Grant says, she'd need a waiver, and that would almost certainly be granted because the two seasons she missed were due to participation in the Olympics and injury, and I'm unaware of a case where a student athlete was denied a redshirt for either of those issues in the brief NCAA history of women's hockey.

The bigger questions are a) will she be healthy enough to play without causing additional injury, and b) is she planning to retire instead of trying to extend her career until the 2018 Olympics. She would't be the first player to decide to get on with other stages of her life.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gopher women's hockey off season thread for summer 2014

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
        As of now, she is not. She is still experiencing symptoms from concussion, so at this time is focusing on recovery.

The after-the-fact news stories about Ammerman talked about how her treatment consisted of what amounted to 'sensory deprivation'; dark room, no TV, no radio, no reading, no visitors, certainly no classes. No idea if they're going to that sort of extreme with Kessel, but no classes fits.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          The after-the-fact news stories about Ammerman talked about how her treatment consisted of what amounted to 'sensory deprivation'; dark room, no TV, no radio, no reading, no visitors, certainly no classes. No idea if they're going to that sort of extreme with Kessel, but no classes fits.
          Sorry folks, but if she is sitting out season because of concussion issues (in addition to her other injury issues), she is probably done.

Career Accomplishments:
          2014 Olympic Silver Medalist
          2013 Patty Kaz winner (Best Player in College Hockey)
          2013 NCAA Championship (40-0-0 record)
          2012 NCAA Championship
          etc, etc, etc

If she comes back, she risks lifelong brain damage. No doctor is going to tell her different. If she was my daughter, she would be done, finished. She has nothing to prove. There is no NHL ($$) for women, and nothing she hasn't already accomplished is worth the risk.

I wish her the best in her recovery and life.

Comment

Agree 100%. Her career accomplishments speak for themselves, and are remarkable! The desire, of the posters, are basically selfish, for her to attempt to play again. Her focus needs to be academic, and symptom free living. She certainly deserves that. The entire hockey community should support her journey towards these goals. I know my family and I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhawks Rule View Post
              ... The desire, of the posters, are basically selfish, for her to attempt to play again. Her focus needs to be academic, and symptom free living. ....
              huh???
              if she is well enough to play hockey again, doesn't that mean she pretty much has a 100% recovery? what could be a better outcome than being able to do the same things after the injury, as before?

recent research indicates that attending school is not the best course to take for recovery, as a poster above has indicated, which may be why she isn't enrolled in school (at least she doesn't appear to be) so your statement about where her focus needs to be ... maybe you should leave that to her and her doctors
              Last edited by pokechecker; 09-13-2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                huh???
                if she is well enough to play hockey again, doesn't that mean she pretty much has a 100% recovery?
                The problem is no one can really tell you that you have a 100% recovery from a concussion. Plus, we are talking about "a" concussion that "reportedly" occurred on February 12, 2014 - over 7 months ago (at least). She is not currently 100%, and it is serious enough that she is not attending classes - 7 months later.

"This is the third player in the last five years Frost has lost to concussions. Forward Ashley Stenerson and goaltender Alyssa Grogan had their careers cut short after suffering a concussion and never fully recovering. Stenerson was forced to retire after her freshman season and Grogan missed 16 months before making a brief appearance in the final seconds of Senior Day in 2012."

Plus, even if she appears to have recovered "100%" (based on baseline testing etc.), she will likely be advised that even more serious damage can occur if she gets another concussion. The bottom line is doctors really just don't know everything about concussions.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                  The bottom line is doctors really just don't know everything about concussions.
                  Yes, and I don't know everything about concussions either. A few days ago, I still thought Ms Kessel was going to be on this years' roster. She was quoted in the newspaper as hoping she can play hockey again. So for today I am still going to hope she will recover and can play hockey again.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    Yes, and I don't know everything about concussions either. A few days ago, I still thought Ms Kessel was going to be on this years' roster. She was quoted in the newspaper as hoping she can play hockey again. So for today I am still going to hope she will recover and can play hockey again.
                    On that, we can both agree.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                      Brandt and Cameranesi with Bona or Menefee could be very good.
                      Like to see the right shooting Schipper get a shot with Brandt & Cameranesi or Brandt & Bona.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/womens...ter-concussion
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Anyone know the specific incident in which Kessel suffered her concussion?

Feb.12/14...if that was the date then it must have occurred in the first game against Canada at the Olympics? No?

Or, less likely, in a warm up.

Comment

Last Article posted says sustained before Olympics....

Correction - Frost said it was "his understanding" that it was before Olympics.
                            Last edited by 96IllinoisDad; 09-14-2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Apparently the selfish people hoping she gets back to playing hockey are in good company:
                              “People have come back from [concussions] and recovered 100 percent, and so that’s certainly our hope for her,” he (Frost) said.
                              “I hope that I’ll be able to return to the ice in the future. “
                              “Our doctors agreed with some other doctors that she had seen that going to school just wouldn’t help in her recovery, so it was [decided] yesterday that she would un-enroll in class and that she would go back to trying to recover fully,”

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                                Apparently the selfish people hoping she gets back to playing hockey are in good company:
                                “People have come back from [concussions] and recovered 100 percent, and so that’s certainly our hope for her,” he (Frost) said.
                                “I hope that I’ll be able to return to the ice in the future. “
                                “Our doctors agreed with some other doctors that she had seen that going to school just wouldn’t help in her recovery, so it was [decided] yesterday that she would un-enroll in class and that she would go back to trying to recover fully,”
                                Everyone hopes she could come back to play. My point was that she likely isn't, and people need to accept that.

Plus, the published stuff is only part of it as many people know.

Comment

Working...
                                X