Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's 106 miles to Chicago: Hosted by Old Pio

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Another article I read (Gawker? Deadspin?) had comments from people who said all they do is see people and kids jumping up and down in the boxes to see "just how strong it is."
    Science.

Comment

Another article I read (Gawker? Deadspin?) had comments from people who said all they do is see people and kids jumping up and down in the boxes to see "just how strong it is."
      Kids I can see doing that. As for the Adults who put that added excess stress on the glass?? Well, they must shop at Walmart!
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Nah, not in the loop area.

The floor is (from what I read and remember) made of three layers of glass and combined is almost two inches thick. It was the top layer inside the building that cracked.

One article I saw said it was designed to break that way and didn't pose harm to the rest of the structure (but people shouldn't use it while it's cracked). Obviously a simplified explanation.

My uninformed opinion is the top layer is like hockey glass, was tempered and fractured due to small scratches in the surface. The guys who were on it prior had something in their shoes (sharp rocks), on their pants (bent/broken metal rivet), or were wearing jewelry (watch/rings) which caused the scratch. I saw that the park service makes observers on the Grand Canyon's glass bridge wear booties to prevent scratches.

Point of info: The glass bridge at the Grand Canyon is outside the park and is privately owned and operated.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Man with conceal carry permit in Chicagoland forces cop to give up pursuit of robber...
          http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...tory?track=rss

A man with a concealed carry permit shot at an armed robbery suspect who was running from a cell phone store in Crestwood, prompting an officer who was also chasing the suspect to take cover, police said.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Man with conceal carry permit in Chicagoland forces cop to give up pursuit of robber...
            http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...tory?track=rss
            You mean the guy with the concealed carry permit missed? What are the odds!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              You mean the guy with the concealed carry permit missed? What are the odds!
              Cops miss too.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Cops miss too.
                But these Rambo types NEVER miss. They're so awesome!

Comment

The reality is that blacks are 13% of the population and half of all homicide victims—90% of whom are killed by other blacks.
                  Source

and so of course Al Sharpton is in Chicago today, highlighting this problem, right?

Today's ghetto culture not only indulges criminal behavior but celebrates it. And so-called black leaders are much more interested in making excuses for this behavior than they are in denouncing it unequivocally. It was not always thus.

Here's Martin Luther King quoted in Harper's Magazine in 1961. "Do you know that Negroes are 10 percent of the population of St. Louis and are responsible for 58% of its crimes? We've got to face that. And we've got to do something about our moral standards," he said. "We know that there are many things wrong in the white world, but there are many things wrong in the black world, too. We can't keep on blaming the white man. There are things we must do for ourselves."

Not that it should matter, yet somehow it does, to some folks here......the author cited above is black.
                  Last edited by FreshFish; 08-13-2014, 07:34 AM.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

It's going to be a bad year for Chicago ... Murders up 71% from last year
                    Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                      It's going to be a bad year for Chicago ... Murders up 71% from last year
                      On the upside, the rate of homicide in March was considerably less than January and February!!

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

On the upside, the rate of homicide in March was considerably less than January and February!!
                        Upside? is there anyone left in some of those neighborhoods to be a homicide victim??

I remember once in the late 1980s or early 1990s having to drive through one of those South Side neighborhoods. It was surreal. Almost every building was burned out and empty, the only ones that weren't had massive iron bars and gates over all windows and doors. Garbage was piled 8' - 10' high in stairwells. Almost no one on the streets, and those that were had a haunted, vacant look. Maybe we need to rethink how we structure our social "support" programs a little if this is the result??
                        Last edited by FreshFish; 04-01-2016, 10:53 AM.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Upside? is there anyone left in some of those neighborhoods to be a homicide victim??

I remember once in the late 1980s or early 1990s having to drive through one of those South Side neighborhoods. It was surreal. Almost every building was burned out and empty, the only ones that weren't had massive iron bars and gates over all windows and doors. Garbage was piled 8' - 10' high in stairwells. Almost no one on the streets, and those that were had a haunted, vacant look. Maybe we need to rethink how we structure our social "support" programs a little if this is the result??
                          South side isn't the big problem anymore. It's the West side. A good chunk of the abandoned/awful buildings have been razed on the south side. It's odd to know you're still in the City of Chicago limits with such wide swaths of vacant land down there. The West side has an abundance of abandoned buildings for ne'er-do-well's to populate.

East Garfield Park, West Garfield Park, South Austin, Austin, Humbolt Park... those are your dangerous zones. Especially Garfield Park.

The south side still is dangerous also: Englewood, Back of the Yards, Fuller Park, Washington Park. But it's shifted to the West side of town.

Don't forget, Homan Square, located just south of both Garfield Parks, is home to the City of Chicago's "secret" police detention center.
                          Last edited by aparch; 04-01-2016, 01:23 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I remember the South Bronx in the 70s driving to Yankee Stadium. They could have filmed the blitz in some of those neighborhoods.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              I remember the South Bronx in the 70s driving to Yankee Stadium. They could have filmed the blitz in some of those neighborhoods.
                              They did better than that.

God bless Robert Moses.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 04-01-2016, 01:44 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                They did better than that.

God bless Robert Moses.
                                Robert Moses caused the Dodgers to leave Brooklyn. Plus he never met a cement truck he didn't like.

BOO!
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X