Brown Hockey 2014-2015 - Onward and Upward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brown Hockey 2014-2015 - Onward and Upward

Interesting article on Harvard hockey and its turnabout from the past years.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...qAP/story.html

Comment

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!! Looking forward to a different season starting in Dartmouth.

Comment

Hope everyone had a good Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa/Boxing Day/Festivus/time off from work/school!

Now that we've gotten the long-winded PC stuff out of the way:

I think I'm heading to Dartmouth on Friday with a friend of mine who is a BC fan. Not sure what to expect, which is kind of fun- usually, I have some sort of idea of how a game is going to turn out, but with BC's general inconsistency this year and a few regulars off at the World Juniors, anything. could happen. We could get blown out or win by multiple goals. I would not be surprised either way.

Here's to a vastly improved second half of the season. The freshmen should start putting it together soon (if I keep saying it, it's bound to come true, right?

Comment

NUMBER 47 IS BROWN RECRUIT AUGUST VON UNGERN-STERNBERG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZYKMOcJBrE

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            Hope everyone had a good Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa/Boxing Day/Festivus/time off from work/school!

I think I'm heading to Dartmouth on Friday with a friend of mine who is a BC fan. Not sure what to expect, which is kind of fun- usually, I have some sort of idea of how a game is going to turn out, but with BC's general inconsistency this year and a few regulars off at the World Juniors, anything. could happen. We could get blown out or win by multiple goals. I would not be surprised either way.

Here's to a vastly improved second half of the season. The freshmen should start putting it together soon (if I keep saying it, it's bound to come true, right?
            Happy 2015, all.

I'm planning on making the trip for both games and looking forward to seeing a team with rejuvenated health, if nothing else. Even with a depleted BC roster, they're still talented, and Jerry York will have them ready to play. I'm keeping my enthusiasm tempered until this team gives me reason to be optimistic.

At any rate, I also noticed these games will be on AM790 locally and online via www.790business.com. I believe those with Ivy League Digital passes can tune in to the video stream, so if nothing else I'll be able to tune in there.

Comment

Weather permitting - nasty squalls predicted along the back roads - I am planning on attending as well. I will be wearing my Brown sweatshirt and BC stadium khaki pants.

I certainly was too optimistic at the start of the season, based on press reports. I should have realized it would take some time for the heralded freshmen class to ad just to DI. Now the adjustment time is over and I am looking forward for that class and the Lorito line to put up some good numbers.

On a somewhat related note, over the holidays I was on campus at The Berkshire School and Salisbury watching my grandson in a youth hockey tournament. It was my first time ever on a prep school campus. I was truly taken back at the grandeur, and I mean grandeur, of both schools' hockey facilities; and the athletic facilities as well.. I am sure a lot of D1 programs' facilities pale in comparison. Brown has recruited a lot from those schools over the past few years and now I can see why. Their facilities looked like the facilities for the US development teams. Are the facilities at the other prep schools that make up that NE league as good or better than B and S?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                Weather permitting - nasty squalls predicted along the back roads - I am planning on attending as well. I will be wearing my Brown sweatshirt and BC stadium khaki pants.

I certainly was too optimistic at the start of the season, based on press reports. I should have realized it would take some time for the heralded freshmen class to ad just to DI. Now the adjustment time is over and I am looking forward for that class and the Lorito line to put up some good numbers.

On a somewhat related note, over the holidays I was on campus at The Berkshire School and Salisbury watching my grandson in a youth hockey tournament. It was my first time ever on a prep school campus. I was truly taken back at the grandeur, and I mean grandeur, of both schools' hockey facilities; and the athletic facilities as well.. I am sure a lot of D1 programs' facilities pale in comparison. Brown has recruited a lot from those schools over the past few years and now I can see why. Their facilities looked like the facilities for the US development teams. Are the facilities at the other prep schools that make up that NE league as good or better than B and S?
                Those are 2 of the nicest facilities in the Northeast, truly amazing for High Schools.

Comment

Scratch my last post; I won't be making it after all. Anyone know how to watch?

Comment

Article from today's Globe makes Brown's win over UCONN look even better:
                    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...NpL/story.html

With snow squalls coming in tomorrow, I am a scratch as well for the trip. I will be watching the webcast as well.

Comment

Ivy League Digital is covering, as is AM790 locally in providence - or online via www.790business.com.

Scratch my last post; I won't be making it after all. Anyone know how to watch?

Comment

Good Luck Brown !!!!
                        First of 14 ECAC Non-Conference Games this weekend falls to you !!!!
                        http://www.ivyleaguedigitalnetwork.c...wn-on-01022015

IMO - Except for the 5-3 you played them even
                        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-02-2015, 05:16 PM.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Not a good weekend results-wise but they looked good at times. Those are two tough opponents, so maybe the team will gain some confidence going into the Mayor's Cup and the Yale weekend.

This is a brutal stretch!

Comment

Past two games shows some progress in the team reaching its potential. Good to see Lappin and Naclerio get some points. Ernst seems to be getting more confidence with more playing time. Is he #1 now? Willman seems to have adjusted to D quite well. Another Jake Goldberg find?

Kdiff, you are right about the brutal stretch - It would be nice to see a W next weekend against PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                              Past two games shows some progress in the team reaching its potential. Good to see Lappin and Naclerio get some points. Ernst seems to be getting more confidence with more playing time. Is he #1 now? Willman seems to have adjusted to D quite well. Another Jake Goldberg find?

Kdiff, you are right about the brutal stretch - It would be nice to see a W next weekend against PC.

I'm hardly feeling as positive as the rest of you after this weekend. The fact of the matter is that the special teams are still not good, there is no depth at defense, and our goaltending is simply average. I thought Lappin's goal was a good one - but it's one goal. Lafferty, to me, was probably the standout of the weekend. His helper on the power play goal against Denver was a thing of beauty, as was his goal a period later.be visi

As for the rest of the team... I don't know who really played well, to be honest. Naclerio continues to be an enigma. There was one sequence in one of the games where he lost his stick and rather than play the body in the corner, he skated to his stick, which allowed the Denver player to get free and, of course, eventually score. His penalty against BC was atrocious. And the faceoffs have been less successful than in the past. For the rest, Tim Lappin had some good moments, but he was -4 against Denver, and Pfeil was easily -2. (I can't remember the last time I felt like Pfeil played a complete game, though). Lamacchia was overmatched against Denver.

Tyler Wood is probably, on paper, our #2 defense, but he took at least two bad penalties this weekend. To me, the top D-man this weekend was either Joey D or Max Willman - though I don't think McArdle or Tegtmayer were poor, just, well, young.

This team needs leadership from someone, anyone. I continue to think it has talent, but the fact that multiple players (and lines) remain invisible is not a good thing. But to go through the next two weeks winless could be a disaster and could signal a 5-6 win season if this doesn't turn around in a hurry.

Comment

• Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                                I'm hardly feeling as positive as the rest of you after this weekend. The fact of the matter is that the special teams are still not good, there is no depth at defense, and our goaltending is simply average. I thought Lappin's goal was a good one - but it's one goal. Lafferty, to me, was probably the standout of the weekend. His helper on the power play goal against Denver was a thing of beauty, as was his goal a period later.be visi

As for the rest of the team... I don't know who really played well, to be honest. Naclerio continues to be an enigma. There was one sequence in one of the games where he lost his stick and rather than play the body in the corner, he skated to his stick, which allowed the Denver player to get free and, of course, eventually score. His penalty against BC was atrocious. And the faceoffs have been less successful than in the past. For the rest, Tim Lappin had some good moments, but he was -4 against Denver, and Pfeil was easily -2. (I can't remember the last time I felt like Pfeil played a complete game, though). Lamacchia was overmatched against Denver.

Tyler Wood is probably, on paper, our #2 defense, but he took at least two bad penalties this weekend. To me, the top D-man this weekend was either Joey D or Max Willman - though I don't think McArdle or Tegtmayer were poor, just, well, young.

This team needs leadership from someone, anyone. I continue to think it has talent, but the fact that multiple players (and lines) remain invisible is not a good thing. But to go through the next two weeks winless could be a disaster and could signal a 5-6 win season if this doesn't turn around in a hurry.
                                I'm kind of fishing for positives at this point. All we can do is hope they'll (dramatically) turn a corner in the coming weeks. A couple wins in rivalry games against Providence and Yale could provide a spark.

The defense and goaltending is an unmitigated disaster. They're young, but I also am starting to think they just aren't very talented (Wood possibly being the only exception). Earlier this year, I said we might need to win games 6-5 this year. This has proven to be true, but the offense hasn't found any chemistry or consistency yet. If we can start scoring 3 or 4 a game, we'll win some games, but until then we can expect to lose most games 4-2 or so.

Ernst has been alright (and certainly better than Steel), but he's not a starter at this level. I wonder if Maher is any good?

Remember when Blake Weyrick was supposed to come here and save the program? That would've been nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X