X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

Originally posted by Jayden_Stoff View Post
    I wonder why not the USHL route...?
    Seems like the BCHL tends to be a little more offensive... I suspect that as a defensmen this would provide more opportunity for learning and experience then going to a less offensive league. Trial by fire if you will.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

A new goaltender for 2015.

Stefanos Lekkas
      Excited to announce my commitment to play hockey at the University of Vermont. Want to thank my family, coaches and friends! #catamounts
      http://nahl.stats.pointstreak.com/pl...seasonid=11164

Comment

2014-15 schedule: http://uvmathletics.com/schedule.asp...9&path=mhockey
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Not as good a OOC schedule as in the past but as long as the HE stays on top our SOS will be fine.

Not thrilled with playing another goon-squad from Canada to start the season, dont want to lose
          another scorer to a cheap-shot.
          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
            Not as good a OOC schedule as in the past but as long as the HE stays on top our SOS will be fine.

Not thrilled with playing another goon-squad from Canada to start the season, dont want to lose
            Agreed. I wonder why UND didn't return the favor and come East this year. Must of been too much compete for a OOC game....

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post

RMC is not likely to be a "goon squad" ... military school with a good rep and good tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                RMC is not likely to be a "goon squad" ... military school with a good rep and good tradition.
                Let's see what happens when UVM is winning by 5+ goals. :-p

Comment

Looks like some updates on the BFP website - http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com/oncampus/

Comment

New Recruits officially announced

http://www.uvmathletics.com/news/201...811140718.aspx

That gives us a roster of

Forwards

Markinson
                    Forgionne
                    Turk
                    Reynolds
                    Mountain
                    Stenerson
                    Fallon
                    Bradley
                    Puskarich
                    Shaw
                    McKinney
                    Blaneil
                    Darrar
                    Irwin
                    Petruzzelli
                    Privitera, J

Total 16 Forwards

Defense

Luuko
                    Muscoby
                    Pattyn
                    Senkbeil
                    Hamilton
                    Paliotta
                    Privitera, A
                    Phillips
                    Ferguson

Total = 9

Tenders

Santaguida
                    Hoffman
                    Feely

Comment

• Re: Vermont 2014 Offseason : Another Step Forward

A write up by Ted Ryan on the incoming recruits, a little bit more detail then in the UVM Athletics write up.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...uits/13946151/

Comment

Not that I have anything to contribute, but what's with the lack of conversation. Did people go out and develop lives? Who's amp'd up for the season!? I'm hoping the hype is right, the coaching staff has recruited some D they are going to be comfortable including in the offence. We were better last year but it seems like a few years ago all we would do is cycle the puck down in the corners. I'm hoping to see fast puck movement with all 5 players involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayden_Stoff View Post
                          Not that I have anything to contribute, but what's with the lack of conversation. Did people go out and develop lives? Who's amp'd up for the season!? I'm hoping the hype is right, the coaching staff has recruited some D they are going to be comfortable including in the offence. We were better last year but it seems like a few years ago all we would do is cycle the puck down in the corners. I'm hoping to see fast puck movement with all 5 players involved.
                          It's always slow in the off season, should start to pick up some as the students come on campus.

It looks like the D will be much more offensive minded, that's where Sneddon's been trying to go I believe. Unfortunately as we saw with Hamilton it kinda goes both ways, if they try to jump up too much you get caught out of position (although he was only a freshman). But with the incoming D and what we have returning I expect the defense to be a strong point both from an offensive standpoint and a defensive standpoint.

Goaltending should also be a strong point and I have to imagine we will see a rotation between Santaguida and Hoffman for much of the season. I'd expect to see improvements from both but especially Santaguida after having a full year to work on his game.

Offense is going to be the big question mark for this team, losing McCarthy was huge and although Reynolds will be back this season he doesn't fill in for McCarthy. He can score and put up points but the real lose comes from the other things, picking pucks off, digging in the corners, etc. McCarthy excelled at that and I don't seem anyone on the team that can step in and replace that. The season will rest on who steps up and who doesn't and who transitions well out of the freshman.

We need:
                          Puskarich to perform at least as well
                          Fallon, Bradley, Shaw to take a step forward
                          Markinson to take a big step forward (he reminds me too much of Matt Marshall)
                          Forgione and Turk to continue being the spark plugs and antagonizers but to also try and be more offensive. Too much throwing the puck on net as soon as they cross the blue line. This line had the puck so much last year but their opportunities were largely wasted. Having a 4th line that can be a threat too will be huge.
                          And the freshman to transition in and be effective quickly.

Comment

From twitter, a new recruit.

‏@OTBPuckWatch 4h
                            94 F Conor O'Neil (@NJHitmen) commits to Vermont. Big get for the Cats; strong, experienced scorer with a rip. Terrific week at Beantown

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...5494/14060705/
                            Last edited by boblav1; 08-14-2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...-kevin-sneddon

More background on new UVM commit including quotes from junior coach
                              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

I have to give our Asst. Coaches credit, as the recruiting seems to have picked up considerably. How they young men do at the NCAA level remains to be seen but the quality is definitely improving. Now if they could only fix the PP...

Comment

Working...
                                X