X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    The day any other ECAC school would pay to have their games broadcast on NESN is the day hell freezes over.
    Harvard has a deal with NESN to televise some basketball and hockey games.

I'm not privy to the financials, but the whole thing is a Harvard in-house operation, complete with Harvard production team and Harvard ads, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that they paid NESN for the TV time.

To be fair, it's pretty cold out there right now, and it feels a lot like hell, so maybe you're right.

Northeastern has 60,000 applicants. That is the sole reason they are highly selective.
    Let us appreciate the humor in this sentence lol. Wait, you mean the school is really selective because way more people want to go there than can get in? Wow, that's some great insight there, professor. Next thing you know you'll be telling us that items start to cost more money if there's more demand than supply. Northeastern must be a really crappy school if that many people want to go there.

If anyone from Harvard, Yale or Princeton wants to ride in on their high horse, go for it. Not St. Lawrence, lol. Notice how the Yale fan in this thread thinks you're being ridiculous. (I do too, and I also attended a school that's far more prestigious, selective and renowned than St. Lawrence. Doesn't make me any smarter than you or my education any better than yours, but it's just a fact that you're going to have to live with if you want to toss your unfounded elitism out there.)
    Last edited by joegrav; 02-08-2015, 10:03 PM.
    BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
    -
    Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
      (I do too, and I also attended a school that's far more prestigious, selective and renowned than St. Lawrence. Doesn't make me any smarter than you or my education any better than yours, but it's just a fact that you're going to have to live with if you want to toss your unfounded elitism out there.)
      Clearly you are correct about this because it has not sunk in that I have not focused on rankings except to mock the ridiculous conclusions of US Snooze and the focus has been on Q not fitting with the Ivies and D3 members in philosophy, approach to athletics or other things that matter. If only you could comprehend that you might actually start to participate in the conversation in a meaningful way. Oh, and that Yale poster didn't go to Yale and maybe didn't even go to college, but two members of my family did go to Yale and are two of the all-time greats for Yale hockey. Yeah, I have other family members that went to Harvard, MIT, Chicago, Stanford and I too was admitted to more than one Ivy and the funny thing is when I applied, BC and Northeastern were a joke. So their not anymore. That's irrelevant to the argument that SLU fits better in the ECAC with the Ivies because it is a D3 school that places far more emphasis on academics and character and the student experience than a school chest pumping for big time athletics.
      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

any thoughts on Harvard's NESN TV deal?

They even had Harvard women's hockey and women's basketball on NESN. Do you think NESN paid them for that? Big rights fees?

SLU fits better in the ECAC with the Ivies because it is a D3 school that places far more emphasis oun academics and character and the student experience than a school chest pumping for big time athletics.
        Do you have any proof St. Lawrence focuses more on academics and character than Quinnipiac? Or, for that matter, BC or Notre Dame? Someone already mentioned All-Academic team selections. You can also look at GSR or APR. Or you can make things up, whatever works.

Also-- you know that there is a D3, right? So if a school really doesn't want to get in to the D1 game, why don't they just do that? Union is playing the D1 game just like anyone else is. see: riding a wave of 23-25 year olds to the glories of ESPN and a D1 title. There's nothing wrong with them doing that. But that's the game. It's not D3.
        Last edited by joegrav; 02-08-2015, 10:27 PM.
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

For real you guys? Here we are on a 7 game winning streak and playing some of the best hockey we have played in years and you're here arguing over something so irrelevant (see what I did there?) ... Let's focus on the team and all the good that is happening right now and not all that other nonsense. Plus, where in the world does a BC poster come into this discussion? I don't care who is right or wrong here, it honestly doesn't matter, but the random BC fan probably shouldn't be here starting trouble when he has no horse in any race as it stands. So, as a few of us have already tried to do, let's change subject to something less finger nails on a chalkboard annoying shall we?
          St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
          4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
          2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
          16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
          2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

wut
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              wut
              See .. Now there's a good start! We are now on the right track!

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                Clearly you are correct about this because it has not sunk in that I have not focused on rankings except to mock the ridiculous conclusions of US Snooze and the focus has been on Q not fitting with the Ivies and D3 members in philosophy, approach to athletics or other things that matter. If only you could comprehend that you might actually start to participate in the conversation in a meaningful way. Oh, and that Yale poster didn't go to Yale and maybe didn't even go to college, but two members of my family did go to Yale and are two of the all-time greats for Yale hockey. Yeah, I have other family members that went to Harvard, MIT, Chicago, Stanford and I too was admitted to more than one Ivy and the funny thing is when I applied, BC and Northeastern were a joke. So their not anymore. That's irrelevant to the argument that SLU fits better in the ECAC with the Ivies because it is a D3 school that places far more emphasis on academics and character and the student experience than a school chest pumping for big time athletics.
                Thanks for the creepy stalker vibe. You might want get back to hanging with Red Cloud and HokyDad. Just your types Gownie.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

And good luck the rest of the way, unless we meet again in March.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Guys SLU & CCT attract a different type of applicant than urban and metro schools. Our candidates like small towns, safe streets, cold weather and mud. Q and NE like the big city or close enough to feel like they're near a big city.

And if HEA has cows with the ECAC, their recent tournament record vs. the "EZAC" will not win them any championships.

I hope you play BU/C in a regional and send them home crying in their chowdah.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Guys SLU & CCT attract a different type of applicant than urban and metro schools. Our candidates like small towns, safe streets, cold weather and mud. Q and NE like the big city or close enough to feel like they're near a big city..
                      Who was talking about CCT in all of this? ... Just kidding!

Comment

Not because they are in first place, but because if the Ivies did vote to break off from the ECAC the way they and the current ECAC teams did in 1984, it would be for the same reason which is league members with obviously different mentalities about sports.
                        I don't think the Ivies will ever split off. The HE breakoff was caused by the Ivies having the ability to block the HE schools from relaxing academic standards. There was talk early in the process of the Ivies leaving, but they didn't have to, and once BU, UNH, Providence, Northeastern and BC saw nothing was going to change, they split. Maine was forced to go to because of geography. This allowed a Boston-centric league that those teams were comfortable with and which nobody in the ECAC had any interest in. I think there was talk of UVM, SLU and Clarkson all bolting with HE, but they all stayed (UVM being the one head-scratcher).

So fast forward to now. Q has their outlier profile, but they have no leverage to alter the ECAC's makeup or academic orientation. So there's no reason for the Ivies to go anywhere. Nor is there any reason for the non-ivy ECAC schools to secede. 11 of the 12 schools are very stable, and there are plenty of candidates if Q wants to step out. A good position for everybody, really.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                          Considering your impressive academic accolades, your grammar is, um, quite poor. But what do I know, I received that darn Quinnipiac edumucation, aw shucks yes I did!

I also anxiously await the findings of your unbiased, national study of American universities that will dispel - in your words - "US Snooze."

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                            As a reminder, Mark, that infamous meeting in The Hoot that you spoke of took place in March of 2009. And, it was a real idiot (me) that invited you to join us very "welcoming" SLU fans after your 6.5 or so hr. drive. That's still one of my favorite memories over all these years.
                            Hard to believe it's been that long. I can still clearly hear the chorus of "boos" as we walked in the door! My daughter and I will never forget that weekend.

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                            This is what happened to my buddy Paul up there this year!
                            Luckily there's no photographic evidence of our visit (at least not that I'm aware of).
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                            Northeast Regional:
                            West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

This is absolutely ridiculous. Whats next puling down your pants and bringing out a ruler?

The last thing I will ever take stock in is an anonymous poster on the internet saying they were admitted to multiple Ivies, have two relatives who are all time greats at Yale, and relatives who went to MIT, Chicago, and Stanford. You sound like my roommate freshman year who said he got a 2200 on his SAT's then failed out the first semester
                              Quinnipiac University '15
                              ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                              ECAC Championship: 2016
                              NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                              NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                              Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

This simply is not accurate. There are several guys at Q over the last 5 years that I know were admitted because of hockey and had academic issues that would have prevented them from getting into other schools. There are others that one can assume may not have been qualified such as Quinneville (sp?), but I don't know. You guys have to remember that Q has had several siblings from Saint players such as Coughlin and Clarke. But again, this has less to do with academics than it has to do with philosophy about sports. Q is a world apart from the Ivies and D3 mentality of the other member institutions. When Yale wins the NCAA championship as one of the most elite academic institutions in the world playing in the beautiful whale that hasn't changed a ton in 30 years, or Union does it with 2000 students and no scholarships, and a rink that put next to North Dakota would be like Patriot Place to Mud Dog stadium in the Waterboy. If Q had won in 2013 (and I just threw up in my mouth thinking about that), it would have been bought and paid for the same way it has been at BC or other recent winners.
                                When I was a student at Quinnipiac, I took a number of classes hockey players happened to also be taking. I can tell you that all of them were hard-workers, and were not just at the school because they played hockey. There were no shortcuts.

Are there outliers? Of course there are. It happens at every school. But the vast majority of the guys are honest students. If you honestly think otherwise, you lose all credibility in this conversation.

Quinnipiac University has never had an athletics/academics controversy in its D-1 history (and I say only their D-1 history because I don't know what happened before that and don't have the time or care to look it up). They're building their hockey program the right way. Again, there are no shortcuts.
                                Last edited by ZYanksRule; 02-09-2015, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X