X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: St. Lawrence University: Big Time, Old Time Hockey 2014-15

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
    You are correct on this.

As an aside, Union is now 7-2 in NCAA D-1 games; SLU is 5-26. That just isn't fair - in particular for us SLU fans who are older farts.
    Union is 7-3. They lost to Minn-Duluth in the opening round of 2011.

I have SLU at 5-25. I must have missed something (or just added wrong).
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-18-2014, 02:57 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
      I believe the Men's Banquet was held 4/5 and the Women's Banquet was held on 4/12. Any updates about both events would be appreciated.

As for Appleton, one change that should be made is to place opposing teams' bands as far away from our Student Section as possible. Yeah, it's nice to be an accommodating host - BUT giving said bands some of the best seats in the house and allowing them to completely drown out our Student Section is just plain stupid. Duh?

For the life of me I could never understand the prime placement of (e.g.) Cornell band while I have been relegated to less than ideal seating at Lynah.

Nor can I understand the absence of a SLU student band which would add to the ambiance of a generally laid back Appleton crowd
      Surely there must be some liberal arts students who play a musical instrument?

I hesitate to raise the latter for fear of being told to put my money where my mouth is
      SLU65

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        Yep, pretty sure that's a standard rule either by NCAA or ECAC.
        25 is the NCAA limit for NCAA tournament games, but they would not have any say over regular season games. I don't ever recall hearing about a limit imposed by the ECAC for league games, so I'm guessing this is just a SLU policy (which they are, of course, perfectly within their rights to set).
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          25 is the NCAA limit for NCAA tournament games, but they would not have any say over regular season games. I don't ever recall hearing about a limit imposed by the ECAC for league games, so I'm guessing this is just a SLU policy (which they are, of course, perfectly within their rights to set).
          Not sure if it's an ECAC rule or not, but QU limits visiting band numbers to 25 as well as far as I've heard.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
          Northeast Regional:
          West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            I believe this is correct, as other rinks (Starr & Lynah, for example) allow more than 25; I think they both allow 50, but it's been a while since I was in the band.
            Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
            Clarkson 1990

Comment

A nice artile in Sunday's paper about the incoming freshman..............that will also be bolstered by Tommy Thompson's return.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...TS03/704209890
              SLU

Comment

Clarkson Roundtable says 2 non-conference SLU/Tech games. Didn't say where, so I'm guessing it'll be home/home
                Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                Clarkson 1990

Comment

Thanks Mike, that was a good read on the recruits.
                  SLU '97

Comment

Thanks also to Mike for the link on the recruits.

There's a big oops in the following article now on USCHO - They are off by a year and Mr. Laylin must still have nightmares about Pete Lappin:

Former Minnesota player Cory Laylin has accepted the head coaching position at Hamline.

Laylin has been the head coach of the North American Hockey League’s Brookings Blizzard the past two seasons.

“The entire Blizzard organization wants to wish Cory and his family all the best in the future,” said Blizzard owner Chris Canavati in a statement. “He has provided many young men the opportunity to grow and develop as hockey players. We want to thank he and his family for their time and service to our organization and the community of Brookings.”

Laylin played at Minnesota from 1988 to 1992 where his teams won two WCHA titles and played in the 1988 NCAA national championship game. He played professionally for 16 years in the United States and in Europe before starting his coaching career
                    Last edited by Muskieman; 04-23-2014, 10:08 AM.
                    GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                      Clarkson Roundtable says 2 non-conference SLU/Tech games. Didn't say where, so I'm guessing it'll be home/home
                      They are home and home. At SLU on 10/31, at Clarkson on 11/1. League games are 12/6 at SLU and 1/31 in Hot **** Potsdam.
                      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                        Got6, I almost always agree with you on everything, but this subject I couldn't disagree more! When is the last time you have actually been to Appleton??? You're making it sound like the late 90's, when the team was struggling and so was the fan base. Your statement that the Clarkson band and fans bringing more than half of the energy leads me to believe you haven't frequented the SLU/Clarkson games at Appleton in years. SLU has restricted the number of members the Clarkson pep band are allowed to bring to 25 and it has made them irrelevant at Appleton ever since, which was much needed since those days back in the 90's. Plus, my opinion on this subject isn't just from being a homer fan, but from someone who has been to every single game since the early 90's. I have seen the ups and downs and the many changes to Appleton. Sometimes the energy is lacking a bit, but it's nowhere near the extreme that you made it appear here and 100% completely opposite of how you described the SLU/Clarkson games at Appleton.
                        I am in pretty regular attendance at Appleton, however, the last Clarkson series was the three games in the playoffs in 2009 when McKenzie beat them singlehandedly in the 3rd of the third game. I would say that was more of a 50/50 energy show, but if I recall correctly the students were on break. It doesn't matter if the band is 25 members or 10 like the Brown band often is, in Appleton they are loud and generally the visiting bands are also obnoxious. I recall near brawls with the Cornell band in the last 5-10 years. My comparisons are from the 85 to 92 era where Appleton was loud, packed, and positive. I don't even sit in my preferred seats with the faculty anymore because there are some obnoxious townies that yell comments directed at the SLU players and, at the time, Joe Marsh which I can still hear on the other side of the rink. I can't sit there because I can't afford to spend time in the St. Lawrence County jail for putting my fist down their throats. I personally don't like the 'control' the administration and the nightly announcements exert over the crowd and especially the students. I miss things like the chicken man, and more students acting a bit out of control. I will say that the clear exception to that that I saw this year was the SLU - Clarkson game where SLU scored 2 quick and they place was bedlum. I'd like to see it like that more often so that Tom Budd's announcements about good sportsmanship are drowned out by energy producing borderline behavior. You see this in other rinks when you visit, Appleton needs more. I believe we can allow fans to get 'more into the game' and still keep it classy. I am not saying its bad, I am saying I don't agree with the tone they try to set with the announcements. I'd like to see more games with the crowd energy at the Clarkson level. For that to happen, one of the first things that has to happen is letting go some behavior that right now would get you tossed from Appleton provided the ushers are paying attention which they seldom are.

Comment

PS I only see 4 games this year on the schedule for home where the students would be gone. Princeton / Qpac the weekend before Thanksgiving which often has some people there for at least Friday night and Cornell / Colgate on Jan 9/10.

Don't know about mid-semester break in mid October but that could impact the two at home on Oct 17-18.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                            I am in pretty regular attendance at Appleton, however, the last Clarkson series was the three games in the playoffs in 2009 when McKenzie beat them singlehandedly in the 3rd of the third game. I would say that was more of a 50/50 energy show, but if I recall correctly the students were on break. It doesn't matter if the band is 25 members or 10 like the Brown band often is, in Appleton they are loud and generally the visiting bands are also obnoxious. I recall near brawls with the Cornell band in the last 5-10 years. My comparisons are from the 85 to 92 era where Appleton was loud, packed, and positive. I don't even sit in my preferred seats with the faculty anymore because there are some obnoxious townies that yell comments directed at the SLU players and, at the time, Joe Marsh which I can still hear on the other side of the rink. I can't sit there because I can't afford to spend time in the St. Lawrence County jail for putting my fist down their throats. I personally don't like the 'control' the administration and the nightly announcements exert over the crowd and especially the students. I miss things like the chicken man, and more students acting a bit out of control. I will say that the clear exception to that that I saw this year was the SLU - Clarkson game where SLU scored 2 quick and they place was bedlum. I'd like to see it like that more often so that Tom Budd's announcements about good sportsmanship are drowned out by energy producing borderline behavior. You see this in other rinks when you visit, Appleton needs more. I believe we can allow fans to get 'more into the game' and still keep it classy. I am not saying its bad, I am saying I don't agree with the tone they try to set with the announcements. I'd like to see more games with the crowd energy at the Clarkson level. For that to happen, one of the first things that has to happen is letting go some behavior that right now would get you tossed from Appleton provided the ushers are paying attention which they seldom are.
                            Re comments about Joe.............some people are just plain ignorant. Suppose some idiots expected Joe's teams to go undefeated each season. I started taking my son and his buddies (the boys) to games when Chris was 10. Well, Chris already knew how I (and other intelligent fans) felt about Joe. At their first or second game attended, some imbecile sitting a few rows behind the boys started in on Joe. The boys heard it one too many times, turned around to the imbecile, and told him to shut the blank up or the 4 of them would pay him a visit. I think the boys were ready to put their fists down that idiot's throat. Good thing I wasn't sitting with the boys that night because I'd have needed bail money from the boys!
                            GO SAINTS.

Comment

You can tell its the off season as things are slow here....

Well, in on ice news, here is a photo of Tyler Parks' goalie mask for next year: https://***********/tparks30/status/...009920/photo/1
                              SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                                You can tell its the off season as things are slow here....

Well, in on ice news, here is a photo of Tyler Parks' goalie mask for next year: https://***********/tparks30/status/...009920/photo/1
                                I should say so Tayt.

On the other hand........if anyone is looking for a ton of fun and the ability to connect with former Saints players, the coaching staff, etc. There is a Saints Hockey outing on Cape Cod on June 2nd. They also have some fantastic auction items with all the NHL connections.

Here is a link for those interested.

http://alumni.stlawu.edu/Saints-Hockey-Golf-Outing
                                SLU

Comment

Working...
                                X