Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    Apparently two ****s worth of caring brings you into this thread repeatedly.

Stop with all your pathetic projecting of your own female insecurities.
    Amen to that.

I think the scheduling agreement idea is something that the new commissioner should pursue. Good idea right there.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      As someone with no real knowledge of the situation, I can say with confidence that I believe the CCHA was keeping that last spot for Penn State just in case. It still sucked for UAH though.
      Nobody with a mental capacity equal to or greater than a lab rat EVER thought Penn State might join CCHA. Lots of people thought BG was going to fold, and didn't want to be an 11 team league after BG died and UAH came in.
      Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Amen to that.

I think the scheduling agreement idea is something that the new commissioner should pursue. Good idea right there.
        Unless your team is getting an equal number of home games with schools that are a draw in its rink, such an arrangement makes little sense. What good does it do in the course of a 3 year period for a team like Michigan Tech to get, by luck of the draw, road trips to Penn State and Minnesota and have Ohio State play in Houghton? Why would it make sense? Financially, even if NMU takes a 2-for-1 with Michigan, it can't make enough money on the home series to pay for the additional trip to Ann Arbor. The Michigan State Coach was a big proponent of the Big Ten schools playing games at the other CCHA rinks...until he became a Big Ten Coach. Unless the Big Ten schools guarantee expenses on the second trip, it's useless to go there. NMU did a one time deal with North Dakota last year and it included a nice check. They have the same arrangement with Penn State this season. Doing 2-for-1s, especially as a group where you cannot be guaranteed to face the schools that would fill your barn, just doesn't work. And Michigan and MSU aren't going to Ferris, Lake State, NMU and Tech. And the Minnesota schools already have a deal in place with Minnesota that has another four years to run and includes an annual tournament in St Paul, further complicating the situation. Would Bemidji or Mankato want to give that up?
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
          Nobody with a mental capacity equal to or greater than a lab rat EVER thought Penn State might join CCHA. Lots of people thought BG was going to fold, and didn't want to be an 11 team league after BG died and UAH came in.
          And yet it wound up being an 11 team league.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Don't confuse him with facts.

Comment

It was already going to be an 11 team league once Omaha bailed after 09-10. Nobody liked that number...it's the worst of all possible.

Sadly for Huntsville their application to the CCHA came in during that time when it REALLY looked like BG was going to fold.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                Don't confuse him with facts.
                Fact: the bane of all trolls!

Comment

It was already going to be an 11 team league once Omaha bailed after 09-10. Nobody liked that number...it's the worst of all possible.

Sadly for Huntsville their application to the CCHA came in during that time when it REALLY looked like BG was going to fold.
                  The Commish would gladly gotten down on his hands and knees and begged Penn State to be an 11th team!

Comment

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this timeline, but I'm pretty sure I'm right:

Late in the 08-09 season news of Omaha's application to the WCHA leaked out.
                    Shortly after the end of the 08-09 season Omaha announced they would leave CCHA for WCHA after 09-10. CCHA would drop to 11.
                    About that same time the stuff hit the fan in BG, EVERYBODY thought we were dead in the water and CCHA would drop to 10.
                    That summer (2009) Huntsville applied for CCHA membership.
                    Eleven-phobia was just ONE of the reasons some CCHA members had for black-balling Huntsville.

Yes, as it turned out CCHA ended up stuck with the dreaded 11 once BG saved itself. I certainly don't mean to give the impression that I think it was right, proper, or even in the CCHA's best interests to diss UAH. The CCHA might have been in a better bargaining position when the final breakdown came along if they had brought UAH in...but that's all hindsight, and just one of a MULTITUDE of mistakes the CCHA made before and during their circling of the bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                      The Commish would gladly gotten down on his hands and knees and begged Penn State to be an 11th team!
                      Yes, and he would have fellated Joe Paterno and Jerry Sandusky if he had the chance...BUT Penn State wasn't on the radar then. We're talking about stuff that happened in the spring and summer of 2009, more than a full year before PSU announced their plans.

Comment

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this timeline, but I'm pretty sure I'm right:

Late in the 08-09 season news of Omaha's application to the WCHA leaked out.
                        Shortly after the end of the 08-09 season Omaha announced they would leave CCHA for WCHA after 09-10. CCHA would drop to 11.
                        About that same time the stuff hit the fan in BG, EVERYBODY thought we were dead in the water and CCHA would drop to 10.
                        That summer (2009) Huntsville applied for CCHA membership.
                        Eleven-phobia was just ONE of the reasons some CCHA members had for black-balling Huntsville.

Yes, as it turned out CCHA ended up stuck with the dreaded 11 once BG saved itself. I certainly don't mean to give the impression that I think it was right, proper, or even in the CCHA's best interests to diss UAH. The CCHA might have been in a better bargaining position when the final breakdown came along if they had brought UAH in...but that's all hindsight, and just one of a MULTITUDE of mistakes the CCHA made before and during their circling of the bowl.
                        What started it was Niagara and Robert Morris announcing in Jan. 2009 that they were moving to Atlantic, leaving only Bemidji State and UAH to number the days remaining in the CHA. Bemidji did what it had to: Apply to join the WCHA. To avoid 11, Omaha was coaxed into applying as well. Bemidji State and Omaha were accepted together in June '09 (to start WCHA play in 2010-11).
                        Michael Napier - UAH '97
                        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                        U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                        NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                        CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                        CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          Unless your team is getting an equal number of home games with schools that are a draw in its rink, such an arrangement makes little sense. What good does it do in the course of a 3 year period for a team like Michigan Tech to get, by luck of the draw, road trips to Penn State and Minnesota and have Ohio State play in Houghton?
                          I'm sure you won't understand the nature of a common association which benefits all. But I'll try to explain it. The league benefits overall by improving it's pairwise potential. It benefits by getting a B!G team into it's rink on a regular basis (not as regular as any of us would like but regular nonetheless).
                          Why would it make sense? Financially, even if NMU takes a 2-for-1 with Michigan, it can't make enough money on the home series to pay for the additional trip to Ann Arbor. The Michigan State Coach was a big proponent of the Big Ten schools playing games at the other CCHA rinks...until he became a Big Ten Coach. Unless the Big Ten schools guarantee expenses on the second trip, it's useless to go there. NMU did a one time deal with North Dakota last year and it included a nice check. They have the same arrangement with Penn State this season. Doing 2-for-1s, especially as a group where you cannot be guaranteed to face the schools that would fill your barn, just doesn't work. And Michigan and MSU aren't going to Ferris, Lake State, NMU and Tech. And the Minnesota schools already have a deal in place with Minnesota that has another four years to run and includes an annual tournament in St Paul, further complicating the situation. Would Bemidji or Mankato want to give that up?
                          Would you rather have your team go to Mariucci to play the Golden Chokers or go to Princeton, NJ or Albany, NY or Omaha?

I'm not suggesting extra expenses here as you seem to think. I'm suggesting a scheduling agreement with the most prestigious league in D1 which will benefit everyone in the nWCHA. Being from the CCHA, you never really experienced the bump in pairwise that was part of being in the WCHA. It's not a huge benefit but it's one that quite often in the past would be enough to keep an NCAA team off the cliff at crunch time.

Why anyone here would rail as you are doing against a "scheduling agreement" with another league is baffling. I simply thought that since UAA and UA_ are consistently going to get home games against B!G opponents that some manner of agreement might be reached to benefit everyone in the league. And as I indicated, I was not sure how the agreement would be structured ... I merely suggested one such possibility. It isn't like it would be some effing burden on the 8 non-Alaskan schools. Each one of them gets to play at least 2 games above the ncaa imposed 34 game schedule. You know? That's why NMU played 36 regular season games this past season instead of 34.

If NMU wouldn't want games against B!G opponents then I'm sure that they could be allowed to opt-out of a WCHA/B!G scheduling agreement and continue to play their extra 2 non-conference games on the road (as they did this year).

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            I'm sure you won't understand the nature of a common association which benefits all. But I'll try to explain it. The league benefits overall by improving it's pairwise potential. It benefits by getting a B!G team into it's rink on a regular basis (not as regular as any of us would like but regular nonetheless).

Would you rather have your team go to Mariucci to play the Golden Chokers or go to Princeton, NJ or Albany, NY or Omaha?

I'm not suggesting extra expenses here as you seem to think. I'm suggesting a scheduling agreement with the most prestigious league in D1 which will benefit everyone in the nWCHA. Being from the CCHA, you never really experienced the bump in pairwise that was part of being in the WCHA. It's not a huge benefit but it's one that quite often in the past would be enough to keep an NCAA team off the cliff at crunch time.

Why anyone here would rail as you are doing against a "scheduling agreement" with another league is baffling. I simply thought that since UAA and UA_ are consistently going to get home games against B!G opponents that some manner of agreement might be reached to benefit everyone in the league. And as I indicated, I was not sure how the agreement would be structured ... I merely suggested one such possibility. It isn't like it would be some effing burden on the 8 non-Alaskan schools. Each one of them gets to play at least 2 games above the ncaa imposed 34 game schedule. You know? That's why NMU played 36 regular season games this past season instead of 34.

If NMU wouldn't want games against B!G opponents then I'm sure that they could be allowed to opt-out of a WCHA/B!G scheduling agreement and continue to play their extra 2 non-conference games on the road (as they did this year).
                            I would be all for a scheduling agreement that is financially equitable.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              I would be all for a scheduling agreement that is financially equitable.
                              Where did I say that the new WCHA commish should pursue a scheduling agreement in which WCHA teams take it up the ***?

Oh and btw ... I even suggested that UAA and UA_ pay more of the B!G travel to the tourney's up there as a way to compensate the B!G schools for scheduling the other teams in the WCHA.
                              Last edited by uaafanblog; 03-31-2014, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                                What started it was Niagara and Robert Morris announcing in Jan. 2009 that they were moving to Atlantic, leaving only Bemidji State and UAH to number the days remaining in the CHA. Bemidji did what it had to: Apply to join the WCHA. To avoid 11, Omaha was coaxed into applying as well. Bemidji State and Omaha were accepted together in June '09 (to start WCHA play in 2010-11).
                                With all due respect, I have to disagree with you. Omaha did NOT have to be coaxed into applying for WCHA membership. From the moment Dean Blias was hired at UNO (spring of 2009) UNO politicked HARD to get in (make no mistake, that's where they ALWAYS wanted to be, anyway). The fact that Bemidji was in the process of being orphaned simply made it an easier call.

Comment

Working...
                                X