Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The problem there is that you don't know who, if anyone would need flight accommodations and from where until as little as 3 days before travel. Which one of these smaller airlines that serve Houghton or Marquette or Bemidji or any market is going to hold 25-30 seats on a maybe?
    If the tournament is at a remote location, the league can just bank tickets for the connecting flight to the closest regional airport that makes sense. Frankly, that's going to be an issue for pretty much everyone — you're not getting directly into Huntsville unless you're coming from Chicago. The Atlanta hop is on a 53-seat jet that typically stays booked.

But then I still like having it here because of the weather advantage, although summer keeps that from seeming to be a great one right now. It was **** humid out today.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• It just seems we are struggling with tournaments without atmosphere, small crowds, bouncing tournaments every other year and developing a distinct WCHA brand of our own. By hosting the tournaments at our own schools based on who won the tournament the year prior we aren't trying to be anything other than ourselves... Smaller market college teams who take pride in their team, school and community. As for airfare, with enough prior notice of alums, fans and teams needing to go to one spot, I bet they would be willing to work with us.

Comment

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
        By hosting the tournaments at our own schools based on who won the tournament the year prior we aren't trying to be anything other than ourselves...
        I like the concept, but I think that maybe it should rotate rather than be based on who is winning the previous year. Houghton is a great place and all, but I don't think fans are going to want to keep going back there year after year for the tourney.

Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I've been thinking about improving my predictive modeling, and I'd like some feedback. What factors matter when gauging the quality of a team?

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

the problem with broadcasting games in Houghton and/or Marquette is that it takes butts out of the seats.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
              the problem with broadcasting games in Houghton and/or Marquette is that it takes butts out of the seats.
              That's what Bill Wirtz always said.
              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                I've been thinking about improving my predictive modeling, and I'd like some feedback. What factors matter when gauging the quality of a team?

GFM
                I'm not sure how easy it would be to included in your model, but clearly injuries / suspensions factor in to success. Maybe what percent of the teams top 6 forwards and top 6 D are able to play on a given night? For example if only 3 of your top 6 forwards are in the lineup for a given night your chances of winning are going to go down by a fair amount.
                Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Don't underestimate the value of a good old-fashioned coin toss.
                  Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                    Not sure if I should trust me blaring sarcasm detector....
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

When in June does Bill Robertson take over the retiring Bruce McLeod?
                      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        I'm not sure how easy it would be to included in your model, but clearly injuries / suspensions factor in to success. Maybe what percent of the teams top 6 forwards and top 6 D are able to play on a given night? For example if only 3 of your top 6 forwards are in the lineup for a given night your chances of winning are going to go down by a fair amount.
                        Ryan J
                        Hm, but that would be reflective and not predictive, as you can't predict injuries. That gets you into the concept of replacement players, and let's be honest: some of us have deeper benches than others.

Also, Freddie, yes ... but this will use a random number generator to provide the randomness, like rolling dice. It's unfair if you do it once, but if you do it 100,000 times, you start to get data that might actually mean something. Aoo I know is that this probably won't be "good" (for whatever your definition is) until midseason if at all. If I had the historical data I wanted to do this, I could do regression analyses, but getting that data could be hard. Also, I'd still have some math to learn, but that's a part of the reason that I'm doing it.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

A WCHA Facebook post yesterday indicated the commish was scouting office locations in the Twin Cities. Sounds like the HQ move is imminent.
                          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            A WCHA Facebook post yesterday indicated the commish was scouting office locations in the Twin Cities. Sounds like the HQ move is imminent.
                            Meant to post it here but never did, Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press tweeted on 6/2:

St. Paul, Mendota Heights, Bloomington and Edina under consideration to replace Denver as WCHA Headquarters.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                              Meant to post it here but never did, Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press tweeted on 6/2:

St. Paul, Mendota Heights, Bloomington and Edina under consideration to replace Denver as WCHA Headquarters.
                              Not Edina.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Edina!!!!!!!
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X