The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The New WCHA, 2014 Offseason: See-ya, Bruce

If the big ten tournament doesn't make it in Saint Paul it's not going to make it anywhere.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      Maybe someone could repost that maps graphic showing all nWCHA team locations, but even without seeing it I'm sure most of us realize there is no easy solution when it comes to geography for the nWCHA and a central location. Since there is no location which makes sense to get a lot of fans to drive to the event, Minneapolis is as good of a location as any - big airport, lots of hotels and things to do other than hockey if you want to come early or stay later.

As noted when the map was first posted (prior to UAH joining) the size and midpoint doesn't change with the addition of UAH.

*edit* This weekend I'll try to whip together a better midpoint map that is based off the Non-Alaska WCHA schools, since they're a flight to anywhere.
      Last edited by aparch; 08-19-2014, 07:21 AM.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Thanks for posting those again. Clearly based on the center point graphic, we should be looking to expand the league in Winnipeg and move the league offices there. It also makes me think that college hockey conference names are headed the way of football where the conference name is in no way an accurate indication of its member schools. The Big Ten is neither large nor have 10 teams, the "National" is a small regional conference in the rust belt of America and the "Western" conference has only four teams West of the Mighty Miss, and two are so far West they are almost in the Far East. In hind sight, we really should have gone with West Central Collegiate Hockey Association. Or as Brick calls it, the "Middle East".

Just a rough guess, if you remove the two AK schools from the calculation, I would expect the average distance of the WCHA to be even less than the National by several hundred miles. I'm guessing the WCHA comes in at about 250-275 miles with the center point near Green Bay / Milwaukee. Alabama is still out there but the other 7 are pretty close together.

Ryan J
        Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 08-19-2014, 09:46 AM.
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Not including the Alaska's since they're a flight, but the including Huntsville because they're "close," the geographic midpoint of the WCHA is Chilton, WI; geographically 35 minutes due south of Green Bay, Wisconsin.

(Removing Huntsville moves the midpoint to Crivitz, WI (technically, the Cauldron Falls Reservoir 20 miles west of Crivitz. Outdoor championship pond hockey?))

I'll come up with the adjusted midpoint averages later, using Green Bay as the center.

Even just using the "eyeball" test to see where a centrally located neutral site venue could be picked from, I see: Green Bay, Milwaukee, Chicago, Rockford, Quad City, Peoria, Des Moines, Indianapolis, and St. Louis.

I know we've debated to death the specific venues each city hold and the pros/con's of each city.

(For sh*ts and giggles, adding Tuscon, AZ to the WCHA moves the geographic midpoint to Prairie du Chien, WI...)

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Using the Non-AK WCHA schools, I ballpark the average distance to all the schools to the midpoint (Chilton, WI) as 400 miles.

Thus, the revised halfway ring would circle Chilton in a radius of 200 miles, including Marquette, MI (almost); Eau Claire, WI; LaCrosse, WI, Joliet, IL; Kalamazoo, MI; Grand Rapids, MI; Claire, MI; Manisique, MI.

On the first map, the WCHA's midpoint would nestle between where the NCHC and B1G intersect in Appleton, WI and the ring would neatly fit between the NCHC and B1G schools midpoints.
            Last edited by aparch; 08-19-2014, 10:20 AM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

(For sh*ts and giggles, adding Tuscon, AZ to the WCHA moves the geographic midpoint to Prairie du Chien, WI...)
              I'm an ASU grad. It's located in Tempe. DON'T EVER CONFUSE US WITH THE YAHOOS IN TUCSON!

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                I'm an ASU grad. It's located in Tempe. DON'T EVER CONFUSE US WITH THE YAHOOS IN TUCSON!
                I apologize. I looked up the Wildcats when it was the Sun Devils that I should have searched for.

But, the midpoint is still the same.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  I apologize. I looked up the Wildcats when it was the Sun Devils that I should have searched for.

But, the midpoint is still the same.
                  No problem! It was just a reflex reaction on my part. Imagine your first thought if someone called you a Laker!

I must admit, I am excited at the thought of the Sun Devils joining the WCHA, but I just don't see it happening. I understand why they'd want to, especially given the feeling that "We've conquered club hockey! Bring on the big boys!" but without a Pac 12 partner joining them, the logistics are pretty strong against it happening.

Comment

Those are some nicely thought out and put together items that do make sense for the current alignment. But it's very likely that another shift is coming within a couple of years. It likely won't be as seismic as the last batch and will likely be one that makes a bit more sense geographically. Schools like Western and Miami had to learn from experience that flying to Denver and CC and lengthy trips to Duluth & St. Cloud didn't but any more butts in their home rink's seats than quick trips to Ferris or Bowling Green did.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I don't get why people think Grand Rapids' location was the problem for attendance. They drew a (reported) 3968 for their championship game, the week after their four playoff series drew a combined 7000--and only 5000 in the contiguous US. As far as ratios go, that's about as good as you're going to get for percentage of fanbase traveling to a conference tournament, no matter where you put it. You can't put together a full Thanksgiving dinner if you all have to work with is a wing and a thigh.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                        I don't get why people think Grand Rapids' location was the problem for attendance. They drew a (reported) 3968 for their championship game, the week after their four playoff series drew a combined 7000--and only 5000 in the contiguous US. As far as ratios go, that's about as good as you're going to get for percentage of fanbase traveling to a conference tournament, no matter where you put it. You can't put together a full Thanksgiving dinner if you all have to work with is a wing and a thigh.
                        i don't think Grand Rapids is the problem, I do think rotating will hurt though. What reason do you or I have to go to Grand Rapids when we can go to St. Paul next year?
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

More things in the Twin Cities as opposed to GR, but again costs...Wonder what it costs to rent the 20,000 or seat barn vs the 10,000 one for two days???

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            i don't think Grand Rapids is the problem, I do think rotating will hurt though. What reason do you or I have to go to Grand Rapids when we can go to St. Paul next year?
                            Even if that is the case, the attendance numbers at anybody's home rink suggest that isn't an issue for a significant number of people.
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                              More things in the Twin Cities as opposed to GR, but again costs...Wonder what it costs to rent the 20,000 or seat barn vs the 10,000 one for two days???
                              It's waaaaaaay easier to travel to MSP for most schools (I'm including the Alaskas) than GR.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                It's waaaaaaay easier to travel to MSP for most schools (I'm including the Alaskas) than GR.
                                This is very true. I've always thought the nWCHA F5 should be in MSP or Chicago for that reason.
                                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                                X