Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football Players---Students or Employees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football Players---Students or Employees?

With the ruling handed down that Northwestern football players can unionize because they are legally "employees" of the school, this can change the landscape of college athletics in every sport. If this ruling is upheld, I think we will immediately see the elimination of scholarships for all incoming players. I love the results of the survey that says a majority of the athletes would change majors if they weren't athletes. I wonder if there was a question that asked "how many of you would have been able to get in to the college if you weren't an athlete?" That would have been interesting to see the results.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/26/us/nor...tml?hpt=hp_bn1
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Re: College Football Players---Students or Employees?

I'm smelling a return of Ivy League football to national prominence...smells goooooood!
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
      With the ruling handed down that Northwestern football players can unionize because they are legally "employees" of the school, this can change the landscape of college athletics in every sport.
      I'll bet that the IRS can't wait to start assessing income taxes on the scholarship money!

oops, be careful what you wish for.....
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        I'll bet that the IRS can't wait to start assessing income taxes on the scholarship money!

I believe the scholarships are non-taxable grants. So they should be safe. The lead guy (former QB) said it was about medical protection first and foremost, and not getting paid.

I said, cool story bro.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Nah - they'd have to tax all grants-in-aid (including Pell Grants and other need-based grants), and there's no way they'd go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            I believe the scholarships are non-taxable grants. So they should be safe. The lead guy (former QB) said it was about medical protection first and foremost, and not getting paid.

I said, cool story bro.
            As they are now, yes. But if it's determined that scholarships are a college athlete's compensation, then shouldn't they now be called "salary(ships?)" and thus, subject to income tax regulations?
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
              As they are now, yes. But if it's determined that scholarships are a college athlete's compensation, then shouldn't they now be called "salary(ships?)" and thus, subject to income tax regulations?
              Salary would be in addition to or in place of the scholarships. If they went that route. Which then would be taxable income. But even other (non-sport) university employees are eligible for grants to go to school.
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                I believe the scholarships are non-taxable grants. So they should be safe. The lead guy (former QB) said it was [not] about ... getting paid.
                So they are "employees" except they are not paid? I wonder how that works....

Ahhh.....i get it now. they want the players to receive payment while in college to endorse products. To me, this smells like a power play by sports agents, and has little to do with the "student athletes" and a lot to do with the $$$$ lighting up the eyes of the "union" that will "represent" the players. So they can be exploited both by the colleges and again by their agents too!
                Last edited by FreshFish; 03-27-2014, 04:01 PM.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Nah - they'd have to tax all grants-in-aid (including Pell Grants and other need-based grants), and there's no way they'd go that route.
                  Why would grants fall under the same category? When you look at the athletic scholarships, the student is receiving an education (payment-in-kind) for services rendered to the school. Work-study wages are taxable, essentially students performing tasks for the school with the intent that they're using the money to fund their educations. How is an athletic scholarship different from work-study? Meanwhile, Pell grants are simply money given so a student can pay for school. There's nothing else required of a student, no services rendered back to the university.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

My hope for this whole thing is that it is a catalyst for the slow moving NCAA to actually make changes to their system for student-atheletes. So that there is a good system in place and the players don't feel the need to unionize. Then good would have come from this.

Unionization would be on a school-by-school (and sport-by-sport?) basis and would make an even more uneven playing field.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Why would grants fall under the same category? When you look at the athletic scholarships, the student is receiving an education (payment-in-kind) for services rendered to the school. Work-study wages are taxable, essentially students performing tasks for the school with the intent that they're using the money to fund their educations. How is an athletic scholarship different from work-study? Meanwhile, Pell grants are simply money given so a student can pay for school. There's nothing else required of a student, no services rendered back to the university.
                    According to the Federal website they are essentially the same thing:

Grants and scholarships are often called “gift aid” because they are free money—financial aid that doesn’t have to be repaid. Grants are often need-based, while scholarships are usually merit-based.
                    Last edited by JF_Gophers; 03-27-2014, 04:03 PM.
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

So they are "employees" except they are not paid? I wonder how that works....
                      DING DING DING!!!!

Let's see them get their share of the BCS and TV money now!!
                      Last edited by mookie1995; 03-27-2014, 04:04 PM.
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

If more football money has to stay in the football program to give more to student-athletes, think of the carnage in the rest of the athletic department, which is kept afloat in many cases by the money thrown off by the football program. It would depend on how big the dollars got, but the potential is there to really crater a lot of other sports if football money ends up largely staying with football. Or the university has to come up with a good chunk of additional athletic funding for other largely non-revenue sports.
                        Originally posted by Priceless
                        Good to see you're so reasonable.
                        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                        Very well, said.
                        Originally posted by Rover
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

You all seem to be overlooking one thing:

The lead guy (former QB) said it was about medical protection first and foremost, and not getting paid.
                          It's so that an 18-year-old football player doesn't get paralyzed and then told, "Sorry, insurance only covers $100,000 and then you're on your own!"

This ruling will never stand anyway. Way too many holes, not to mention a favorite topic around here: Title IX.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                            If more football money has to stay in the football program to give more to student-athletes, think of the carnage in the rest of the athletic department, which is kept afloat in many cases by the money thrown off by the football program. It would depend on how big the dollars got, but the potential is there to really crater a lot of other sports if football money ends up largely staying with football. Or the university has to come up with a good chunk of additional athletic funding for other largely non-revenue sports.
                            Or, gasp, they could reduce the operating expenses of the football program in some areas (coaches' salaries come to mind) in order to have the $$$ to pay the players.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Or, gasp, they could reduce the operating expenses of the football program in some areas (coaches' salaries come to mind) in order to have the $$$ to pay the players.
                              They certainly could. Meaning it's theoretically possible. Is it likely? I don't think so.
                              Originally posted by Priceless
                              Good to see you're so reasonable.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                              Very well, said.
                              Originally posted by Rover
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                              X