Northeast Regional: BC vs Denver, Lowell vs Mankato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CleggyofUML View Post
    I think hottest goalie would be a better word, right?
    Leads NCAA in GAA and save percentage. Second in NCAA in shutouts.

Comment

Originally posted by fr0zn-4 View Post
      Leads NCAA in GAA and save percentage. Second in NCAA in shutouts.
      Okay yeah maybe best might be the right term for him.
      I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

Re: Northeast Regional: BC vs Denver, Lowell vs Mankato

Hellebuyck = best goalie in country. Not even up for debate.
        Originally posted by reBlur
        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

I think this is the best regional, wish I could attend just to see hopefully great hockey. I have nothing but praise for BC, UML looked very impressive the last three games I have watched, DU has proven resilience at the end of the season, and Minny State is the team I think will surprise everyone, especially since some UML fans think the next four games are already won.

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
            Hellebuyck is clearly the hottest goalie right now. That does not make him the best.
            Only right now? How about over the past 2 full seasons? The NCAA record for career save percentage us .941, set by Ryan Miller. Connor Hellebuyck's career save percentage is .947 after this past weekend.
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
              Minny State is the team I think will surprise everyone, especially since some UML fans think the next four games are already won.
              I don't think lowell fans are discounting Minn state at all. Frankly - I don't know much about them, and have not seen them play to form an opinion. They are in the tourney for a reason, and looking forward to the matchup
              "We will play a style that is a puck-possession game, an up-tempo style ... It will rely on speed and toughness. I’m sure these players can
              make that adjustment very easily. We’re going to make the Tsongas a tough place to get points for other teams." -UML Coach Norm Bazin

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeytown View Post
                I don't think lowell fans are discounting Minn state at all. Frankly - I don't know much about them, and have not seen them play to form an opinion. They are in the tourney for a reason, and looking forward to the matchup
                Agreed. Not sure where on these boards COHockey saw a Lowell fan declare winning the next game would be a lock, let alone the next four. The only guy on this thread to say UML will run away with next game is a UVM fan.

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
                  did I say that?

Patronick said something, and I commented.

Wilcox
                  Rumpel
                  Motte ???
                  Britain is not bad.
                  Union has some no name slob who would problably what, never get to play for the Junior Riverhawks
                  Quinipaic has another lucky goaltender, just luck, right?

I cannot comprehend how the Hobey committee missed the very best goalie in the country. Good thing Lowell has the sports writers who know better.

Hellebuyck is clearly the hottest goalie right now. That does not make him the best.

and I just love how disagreeing with an absolute statement made by a Lowell fan makes one a troll.
                  Feel free to disagree all you want. Like I said, everyone has the right to be wrong if they choose to be. Hellebuyck was left off the Hobey Top 10 because he was hurt for a stretch and split some weekends with Carr, so he didn't have the minutes the other goalies had. I wish he had had the chance to play against AIC, Penn State, Princeton and the three games against Clarkson, but he didn't.

What are you judging goalies by? Call me crazy, I'm choosing to use their stats.

Hellebuyck 1.73 (1st) .943 (1st)
                  Wilcox 1.90 (3rd) .933 (2nd)
                  Rumpel 2.03 (8th) .930 (T-6th)
                  Motte 2.25 (16th) .926 (13th)
                  Britain 2.10 (12th) .932 (3rd)
                  Stevens 1.95 (5th) .931 (5th)
                  Garteig 1.88 (2nd) .912 (30something, rankings don't go that high)
                  Huggins 1.91 (4th) .924 (T-18th)

I didn't disparage the other goalies. I think Wilcox is superb. I think Rumpel is very good. So is Gilles and Summerhays. I don't think Motte is in Hellebuyck's league, and the stats agree with me. (Ok, maybe I disparaged Motte) I just said Hellebuyck is the best in the country. And he is. Look, I wish I had the time to sit down and explain to you, step by step, why he's the best in the country. I'm sure colorful charts and/or hours of game tape would really get the message across. I just don't have that kind of time. Take my word for it. Or the words of fans of other teams who've agreed with me. Or be wrong. The world's your oyster.
                  Last edited by Patronick; 03-25-2014, 06:37 AM.
                  Lowell Forever
                  Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    Soooo haaarrdd not to comment on this, but in the interest of HE solidarity good luck Lowell
                    Well thank you.

Besides, I think you have enough on your plate with the HE/ECAC line brawl you started over in your Regional thread. This is what we've trained for all season. Make me proud.
                    Lowell Forever
                    Forever Lowell

Comment

• Re: Northeast Regional: BC vs Denver, Lowell vs Mankato

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                      Agreed. Not sure where on these boards COHockey saw a Lowell fan declare winning the next game would be a lock, let alone the next four. The only guy on this thread to say UML will run away with next game is a UVM fan.
                      This is an argument that seems to come up every year.

I would love to know in what fantasy world some fans live in where the attitudes and/or comments from a few supporters of a given team somehow mimic how players and coaches feel in a locker room. "It's good to see FAN OF TEAM X discounting our team. Hope their team is looking past us, too." Hint - that never, ever happens. Ever.

Fans of every team in the tournament have reason to be proud of their team. They have all the right in the world to think they're team is going to win their first round game. If you've made it to the NCAA's, you either made it through your league's tournament and are a champion on a hot streak, or you took care of business during the season and earned an at-large bid. There's no reason to get defensive when someone picks a team other than yours to advance to the Frozen Four. I assure you, the number of predictions in favor of a given team have zero effect on the outcome of a game. What I say in a message board has no effect on how Lowell is preparing for Minnesota State.

For example - Patronick's feelings on Minnesota State:

I think they're a pretty good team in a really bad conference. I think outside of Ferris State and Minnesota State there isn't another half decent team in the WCHA this season. I think their current streak is impressive, especially knocking off Ferris to win the title, but I also think it's hollow. 3 vs. Northern Michigan, 2 vs. Bemidji State, Alabama-Huntsville, LSSU & Michigan Tech and one apiece vs. Bowling Green and Ferris State. The streak is against teams with a combined winning percentage of .428 and an average RPI of 35. Before that game against Ferris, the 11-0-1 streak was against teams with a combined winning percentage of .379 and an average RPI of 40. I think Minnesota State is very good on special teams, but it seems they spend a lot of time in the box. I think the only time this season they saw goalies near Hellebuyck's level (Wilcox for two games, pre-WJC Gilles for two games) they scored a combined 2 goals in four games and were outscored 15-2. I think they're coming into the Northeast Regional hot and with a lot of confidence, and I think Lowell is going to get their best on Saturday night.

Now, if you want to go ask Coach Bazin or the team captains what they think about Minnesota State, I would wager the two statements will not match.
                      Last edited by Patronick; 03-25-2014, 06:36 AM. Reason: math is hard
                      Lowell Forever
                      Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                        Reads like a UML fan, reword the same accomplishment as many times a possible and raise a banner for each!
                        You sonofa... well, yeah, you kind of have us on that one hahah! It was a great year, we don't have that many banners to look at alright!

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeytown View Post
                          Same here. Haven't seen any such comment and certainly don't believe such. I do think that if we play like we did last weekend, we have a superb CHANCE to win but who knows what Minn State is going to bring.
                          Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                          Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                          "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                          KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post

I think they're a pretty good team in a really bad conference. I think outside of Ferris State and Minnesota State there isn't another half decent team in the WCHA this season. I think their current streak is impressive, especially knocking off Ferris to win the title, but I also think it's hollow. 3 vs. Northern Michigan, 2 vs. Bemidji State, Alabama-Huntsville, LSSU & Michigan Tech and one apiece vs. Bowling Green and Ferris State. The streak is against teams with a combined winning percentage of .428 and an average RPI of 35. Before that game against Ferris, the 11-0-1 streak was against teams with a combined winning percentage of .379 and an average RPI of 40. I think Minnesota State is very good on special teams, but it seems they spend a lot of time in the box. I think the only time this season they saw goalies near Hellebuyck's level (Wilcox for two games, pre-WJC Gilles for two games) they scored a combined 2 goals in four games and were outscored 15-2. I think they're coming into the Northeast Regional hot and with a lot of confidence, and I think Lowell is going to get their best on Saturday night.
                            Interesting insight and perspective. I'm not looking past Saturday by any means, nor dismissing MN State. Last year we were going up against the "hottest team in the country" in Wisconsin the first round, expected a great, competitive game, and UML dismantled them 7-1. Not that I'm expecting that Saturday but it is interesting to see what a team looks like when you peel the layers of the onion back a little.
                            Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                            Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                            Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                              Hellebuyck = best goalie in country. Not even up for debate.
                              Agreed, UML is so good Massachusetts is thinking of making them the flagship state university

Comment

I've watched some game film this week, particularly studying the Lowell D-Zone and Hellebyuck, and he's a very fundamentally sound goaltender. Makes every save you'd anticipate him to with ease. He's one of the best I've seen, and actually reminds me a lot of Sam Brittain, who I saw play twice last weekend. Their defensive zone is extremely disciplined, and opponents have a tough time getting an established forecheck. Should be an it interesting matchup, as the Mavericks' forwards generally can sustain a lot of pressure.
                                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Working...
                                X